PDA

View Full Version : bicycle/skateboard halfpipe or indoor rc track

dan harris
12-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm planning on doing something with the big building up by the parking lot at the Breezewood Proving Grounds. Wondering if more people would use a half pipe for bicycles and skateboards, or would more people prefer a remote control car track?

madsmokey12
12-14-2010, 03:20 PM
i would say half pipe. u can always do an outdoor rc track

blaster12s
12-14-2010, 03:28 PM
i wouldnt go with half pipe.. maybe a mini ramp. and like a big box jump for the bmx bikes

chucked
12-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Rc track. You can make an out door half pipe

yellowzo3
12-14-2010, 03:56 PM
A mini skatepark would probably be better (box jumps, quarter, maybe a spine, some rails for grinding) ... More people would be able to use it at the same time also. You can only have 1 person at a time safely on a half pipe, which leads to a bunch of kids waiting for their turn, arguing, etc...

An outdoor rc track would be awesome though. It seems like a TON of people that are into bikes, quads, trucks, are all into rc cars and its a good way to relax after riding or hang out at the track if your quad/bike breaks.

I'm sure you could whip up an rc track in no time. The hardest part would be building a stand for the drivers to stand at so they can see the whole track. You'll also need some electric out there for chargers and stuff. The only way an indoor track would work imo is if its REALLY well ventilated. The smell of nitro will make your eyes burn if you have 20 cars running around the track all day :p ...Heck, I used to go to an outdoor track and even that had a pretty heavy smell lingering.

jzexrider
12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
rc track + mx tracks = sickest place ever An rc track based off the advanced track would be awesome.

chucked
12-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Keep in mind that if you build an rc track, it could become a regular venue for sanctioned races.

madsmokey12
12-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
A mini skatepark would probably be better (box jumps, quarter, maybe a spine, some rails for grinding) ... More people would be able to use it at the same time also. You can only have 1 person at a time safely on a half pipe, which leads to a bunch of kids waiting for their turn, arguing, etc...

An outdoor rc track would be awesome though. It seems like a TON of people that are into bikes, quads, trucks, are all into rc cars and its a good way to relax after riding or hang out at the track if your quad/bike breaks.

I'm sure you could whip up an rc track in no time. The hardest part would be building a stand for the drivers to stand at so they can see the whole track. You'll also need some electric out there for chargers and stuff. The only way an indoor track would work imo is if its REALLY well ventilated. The smell of nitro will make your eyes burn if you have 20 cars running around the track all day :p ...Heck, I used to go to an outdoor track and even that had a pretty heavy smell lingering.

x2 u don't really need a indoor Track for RC Car's and Trucks. the smell of 20 Nitro Car's indoors won't work so well. like i said outdoor Track will work the best for that. if u want to keep the Rc racers warm you can built a small indoor shed that's Elevated so the racers can see the track. now for the building u have now you can make it into a Small Skate park nothing fancy. or heres some idea's i never been to your place but maybe u can make it a little ATV Race shop. carry all Rider Safety Gear. Maybe some Performance Parts - Oil - Gas . Maybe put some ATV Parking in and Serve Food and Drinks make it like a Little Hangout for after the Track. or you can make it a Hobby Shop for the RC Cars. have parts incase some one's car Breaks. Sell the Nitro Fuel - and Get some Nitro Car's and Trucks even Electric Car's and Trucks. just some idea's

dan harris
12-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Thanks for all the responses - really got my mind full of ideas.

Right now I'm thinking the indoor skate/bike area would be best, a half pipe, box jump, some rails etc.

I will also work on finding a spot to put the RC track outside - with a heated elevated shed for standing in while driving.

We are already working on a Pro Shop that will be stocked with atv and motorcycle parts. We currently have a dining hall/club house for people to hang out in.

Looking forward to spring !

05/450r/10
12-15-2010, 01:28 PM
yes i would put a skate/bmx park inside because i ride bmx too and i would just make the rc track outside and once you get enough people to use the rc track do racing for them to

trailrider894
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
What about RC cars in the skatepark?

madsmokey12
12-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by dan harris

We are already working on a Pro Shop that will be stocked with atv and motorcycle parts. We currently have a dining hall/club house for people to hang out in.

Looking forward to spring !

for your Pro Shop u might want to Carry some Rc Car Part's and other what nots. maybe keep a few RC Cars and Trucks in Stock to sell to the MX Riders

chucked
12-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Y'all are jumping ahead here. It's almost impossible to carry the right parts, there's hundreds of types of cars and each one has a hundred parts that could break. Also, keep in mind not to make the drivers stand too hard to get up and down, if there's no one on the ground to fix the car if it flips, the drivers gonna have to climb down and flip it back. Just make the track for now, worry about makin a hobby shop later if it takes off. No sense having a few grand in inventory with no idea if it will ever sell. I think the hobby shop I worked at had like $200,000 in inventory and ordering new parts every week. and I bet at least $20,000 will never sell, or will be sold below cost just to get rid of it once its been hanging around for a few years.

XXX -rider
12-15-2010, 03:54 PM
BMX track :)

platummxracer8
12-15-2010, 03:59 PM
for the skatepark. how big is the garage your putting it in. if you need any help with ideas for ramps or anything just shoot me a message i would be willing to help out.

yellowzo3
12-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Y'all are jumping ahead here. It's almost impossible to carry the right parts, there's hundreds of types of cars and each one has a hundred parts that could break. Also, keep in mind not to make the drivers stand too hard to get up and down, if there's no one on the ground to fix the car if it flips, the drivers gonna have to climb down and flip it back. Just make the track for now, worry about makin a hobby shop later if it takes off. No sense having a few grand in inventory with no idea if it will ever sell. I think the hobby shop I worked at had like $200,000 in inventory and ordering new parts every week. and I bet at least $20,000 will never sell, or will be sold below cost just to get rid of it once its been hanging around for a few years.

Good point about opening up an actual parts shop for the rc stuff. Back when I used to go to the tracks and hobby shops the shelves were LOADED with old parts from years ago with dust on them :p ...Some stuff sits there forever. And like you mentioned, if you're not into the hobby you'll have no idea what parts to stock and what cars people use most for tracks.

But I still think an actual rc track would be perfect for BPG. Tons of fun to just hang out and shoot the breeze after a good day riding.

05/450r/10
12-15-2010, 05:45 PM

i dont think he ment a rc car shop but since they have a atv/mx shop just add a few cars like 5 or so for the riders that want them

chucked
12-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes he was.

chucked
12-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Dan, the people that own the rc shop I go to used to go to bpg alot. They got me started. Gordon and Laura Ross, they have a son Matt. I bet you remember them. They used to go all the time before they bought the shop.

skyeryder
12-15-2010, 06:19 PM
FOAM PIT FOR QUADS!!!!!!

05/450r/10
12-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Foam pit is very high in price

dan harris
12-16-2010, 06:43 AM
again thanks for all the responses, Chuck I do remember the Ross's, Not sure that I would stock RC car parts unless someone like the ross's wanted to stock it and we would sell the parts. That will all be worked out later - First I need to build the rc track and get people interested and using it. Same for the ramps.

Anyone wanting to help out on these projects should email or approach me this spring once the park opens. We'll be working on it then.

I'm also considering doing a metal freestyle ramp to a dirt landing - unfortunately that would have to be approved by the dep. But its in the works right now.

05/450r/10
12-16-2010, 07:26 AM
I wasn't saying rc parts but just a car or two to sell to the riders not like a full wall of cars part and stuff just one or two cars

flipflap36
12-16-2010, 10:20 AM
If you do an indoor skatepark your going to need to seal that building up as much as possible. All the dust flying around that place will make it an ice rink. making it extremely unsafe to ride. Also if you know anyone that really rides bmx you know one thing they hate most is a slippery skatepark. youd be better off doing trails for the bikes and a mini for the skaters.

dan harris
12-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm not really expecting many riders using the indoor stuff, but figured having a hand held blower there to blow the half pipe off before someone rides wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not looking to attract people to the park for the ramp, just giving riders that are already here for the weekend something else to do in the evening - so it won't be over the wall serious !

jesseweaver
12-16-2010, 03:09 PM
i vote RC cars- keep it a moto facility!

i love watching RC cars race and always kinda wanted to get into it. and i absolutely can't stand a bunch of punk skater kids. itd be sweet to ride all day then once it gets dark go in there and watch a bunch of RC cars rip around

bseckel
12-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Rc cars would be great. I really like the idea of modling it after the expert track. that would be awsome!!

XXX -rider
12-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by dan harris
again thanks for all the responses, Chuck I do remember the Ross's, Not sure that I would stock RC car parts unless someone like the ross's wanted to stock it and we would sell the parts. That will all be worked out later - First I need to build the rc track and get people interested and using it. Same for the ramps.

Anyone wanting to help out on these projects should email or approach me this spring once the park opens. We'll be working on it then.

I'm also considering doing a metal freestyle ramp to a dirt landing - unfortunately that would have to be approved by the dep. But its in the works right now.

hmm. uh oh .. just had a thought .. what about the barn for the Halloween stuff / fall fest the haunted house & rides were a blast this past year ....& its 1 of the few times we can make it out during that part of year to fit around our racing schedule etc. & the kids loved it ..
btw couldn't a BMX track also be used for RC cars ??? :)

jesseweaver
12-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by XXX -rider
hmm. uh oh .. just had a thought .. what about the barn for the Halloween stuff / fall fest the haunted house & rides were a blast this past year ....& its 1 of the few times we can make it out during that part of year to fit around our racing schedule etc. & the kids loved it ..
btw couldn't a BMX track also be used for RC cars ??? :)

and pit bikes!

XXX -rider
12-19-2010, 01:03 PM
^ ok sounds good .. we have 1 or 2 of each !

ROLLIN
12-22-2010, 09:44 PM
sounds like a great idea. i give a vote for two rc tracks one inside and one outside with lights. we get pretty whipped after a day of mx'in and alot of dads who dont ride would probably love an rc track. a half-pipe just spells more broken bones... be nice to have an extra long straight-a-way on the rc track to open up those small beasts... alot of them are faster than a 450quad, ha