PDA

View Full Version : 99 Blaster firing problem - CDI?

TheJaspMan
02-11-2003, 12:13 PM
I am looking at a 99 Blaster that is not getting any spark. The fuel and plugs are good. The stator is new. Just appears to not be getting nay spark. Has anyone had any experience with a CDI or control unit going bad?

Rider#11
02-11-2003, 03:49 PM
test your coils...and also spark plug wire there kinda know to go bad...talk to your local yamaha dealer

jetta75
02-13-2003, 11:26 PM
I sheared the woodruf key. I put a new one on and didn't get flywheel tight enough and it did it again. It was like 2 years ago so I can't remeber if I had no spark or very little. One of them. I have 2 and brothers got a 97 and no other elect. problems.

TheJaspMan
02-14-2003, 06:05 AM
How hard was the key to replace? Did it appear to do any other damage? I have to pick this quad up in the early AM tomorrow if I want it. But it's a long ways to drive to be risky. The condition of the quad itself looks good, think I would go wrong spending $900 for a 99'?

jetta75
02-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Its not hard at all to check the key as long as you have a puller. I've seen them for $10. The key was the only thing wrong. It just wouldn't start one day. If everythings straight, and there $900 is not that bad of a deal. I see older rolling chassis w/no motor going for $500.

jetta75
02-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Its not hard at all to check the key as long as you have a puller. I've seen them for $10. The key was the only thing wrong. It just wouldn't start one day. If everythings straight, and there $900 is not that bad of a deal. I see older rolling chassis w/no motor going for $500. I don't think I would pay more than $900 if you don't know whats wrong.

TheJaspMan
02-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the input. After everything I have read, and after talker with the dealer I don't think I can go wrong unless the motor is seized. I was worried about the key ruining the crank, but he ha never seen it happen unless the entire engine seized up quick and solid. I figure at that price even if I have to drop another $550 in it I would still be close to book value. I'll post some pictures and stats tomorrow after I take a look and probably/possibly pick it up.