PDA

View Full Version : worth going long travel setup?

vroomy
12-14-2010, 06:37 AM
i currently have +2 a-arms with Fox evols and im curious if there would be any benefit in going long travel?? i mainly ride dunes and trails. If i would benefit going long travel whats a nicer ride the +2 or +3.... any opinions/advice will be appreciated, thanks

troybilt
12-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Its not actually long travel, its longer shock bodies. The travel is the same. The longer shocks allow for better valving and more fluid without fading from heat. I don't think you will notice anything by switching to LT shocks. Sounds like you have a nice setup now. You'll wanna stay with the +2 for trail riding. +3 will be too wide for trails, at least here in the states.

skyeryder
12-15-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree with Troy, unless you are a very fast A rider or Pro most people will never get the full use out of a LT set-up, in fact theres some very fast Pro's in GNCC running standard travel Ockerman is one. Like Troy said sounds like you have a nice set-up let's see a pic.....

vroomy
12-15-2010, 01:55 PM
thanks for the help guys. Ill try posting some pics soon

doctorace1
12-16-2010, 10:52 AM
well i can elaborate i have had 4 250r's all with different setups,the long travel setup is a broad topic depending on which arms you can get ahold of,ars-fx great ground clearence only 17.5 inch shocks,i did not notice a difference on this quad to my
+2 standard travel with elkas,the standard setup was more responsive,now houser hit it on the head with lt arms for the 250r,they use 19.5 inch shocks true long travel, the quad that i had those arms on was with custom axis the arms were +1, it was a true gncc setup but i will clearly state its a cadillac of a ride just amazing if i were going to go lt right now on my lrd chassis i would look for a set of +2 or +1 lt houser a arms,they worked the best for me as for the other two they were pro trax setups only down fall was alot of keeping up with the t pin but worked well if you ride hard very very responsive

troybilt
12-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by doctorace1
...its a cadillac of a ride just amazing if i were going to go lt right now on my lrd chassis i would look for a set of +2 or +1 lt houser a arms...

...well you might be in luck, cause I have the very last set of Houser +1 LT aarms for the 250r, that I bought brand new a year ago and might be selling this Spring.... along with matching swingarm that is also brand new... :D

sameltoe
12-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Troybuilt...I would like a chance at these if they are not interested, These would go great with my 4/1 hypers and these tight trails up here lol

troybilt
12-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by sameltoe
Troybuilt...I would like a chance at these if they are not interested, These would go great with my 4/1 hypers and these tight trails up here lol

OK, I'll keep you posted. Kind of depends on how my own designed aarms turn out.. :)

vroomy
12-16-2010, 06:29 PM
hey Troy are you running Fox evols?

troybilt
12-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes I am. Gen 1's valved by Wayne from PEP.

vroomy
12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
ive just got my R running and my front end is constantly squeaking, ive greased all the a-arms so im thinking its my Fox shocks?? any ideas ?

TLR-Online
12-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by vroomy
ive just got my R running and my front end is constantly squeaking, ive greased all the a-arms so im thinking its my Fox shocks?? any ideas ?

Push down on your front bumper to compress the shocks and listen for squeaks.

You can also put a jack stand under the front part of the frame and spin the tires. Check the brakes for squeaking, it might also be your hub bearings/worn spindle.

If you still have squeaks, ride slowly and try to listen where its coming from. Does it squeak when you turn, hit a bump, ect. If you think its coming from the brakes, try to tap the brakes when it is making the noise and see if it goes away.

vroomy
12-16-2010, 07:48 PM
it squeaks when you move the front suspension, thought it was a-arms but must be the shocks. Everything is new up front except the Fox shocks which had around 10hrs use by previous owner. He shipped them to me completely compressed ( save on size i guess) not sure if that would anything to do with it?