PDA

View Full Version : I keep fouling plugs...help!!!

bean #310
12-13-2010, 10:31 PM
I have an 86 bottom end with an 88-89 wiseco crank, and an 88-89 cylinder, piston and dome, v force reeds, ESR trxmx center mount exhaust, uni filter with outerwears (no airbox), stock rebuilt 86 carb. Its ported but not sure what its ported for, like mx, tt, or drag. Its smooth, arent they supposed to be rough? it runs real good has a ton of bottom end for a 2 stroke but it cuts out on the top end, so i know i need a bigger main jet for sure. It doesnt hit powerband like a 2stroke does its smooth through each gear like a four stroke. My plugs foul all the time and i cant figure out why. I hope you guys can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

red88r
12-13-2010, 11:29 PM
What ratio are you mixing your gas?

bean #310
12-13-2010, 11:30 PM
40:1 i believe, 16 oz to 5 gallons

red88r
12-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Then you are ok there...only reason I ask is once and awhile I still here guys mixing 20:1 cuz that's what is says on their gas tank. No need to be that rich with todays oils.

bean #310
12-13-2010, 11:45 PM
i dont know what the problem is. it runs strong, except for not hitting powerband like i think it should then it starts to sputter and back fire, clean the plug or put a new one in it and its fires right up like nothing was wrong with it

C-LEIGH RACING
12-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Stock TRX ignition ???.

Those old stock ignition systems will make you pull your hair out.
Connectors in the wiring harness & then the CDI box most of the time. Connectors look good when you check them out, but not getting good connection. Use B8ES or B7ES plug set around 0.020.
Neil

All250R
12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
You might be sucking in some tranny oil through the right main seal is a possibility too.

bean #310
12-14-2010, 11:14 AM
i dont think its the seals they are brand new, and all the connections are clean, those were the first things i looked at i was reading on here that something like this could not even be the jetting, it could possibly be the stator being bad. i guess i could save up for a cr250 ignition, does it come with a new stator

hartwill
12-14-2010, 03:44 PM
If it breaks up in top end that most likely means your main jet is too rich so you need to go smaller not bigger. Maybe even your needle is a tad rich as well. Running rich makes your bike feel a little lazy which could explain no power band / four stroke feeling and fouling plugs. I would try this before you spend $500 on a cr ignition. And try a non resistor plug. I use a b9egv plug that's what sparks suggests and it worked wonders for me. I'm sure the cr ignition is worth it but I like to trouble shoot with the cheapest things first.

hartwill
12-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Oh and good luck with that wiseco crank. Those are ticking time bombs. People warned me about mine and I didn't listen and it ended up costing me a ton in repairs.

wilkin250r
12-14-2010, 05:18 PM
I doubt that the Wiseco cranks are 100% junk. They wouldn't keep producing them if they were. I'm sure there are many people that have successfully run them with little or no problems.

OEM cranks are widely regarded as the best, sure. Let's say they fail at a rate of 1 for every 1000. Even if Wiseco and Hotrods fail 50x more often, that still means there are 950 of those 1000 that ran their cranks with success.

hartwill
12-14-2010, 06:00 PM
I somewhat agree. However, by taking the chance on one just to save $150 is not worth it to me. And with as many people on here that have had the same problem, the failure rate seems much greater than 50/1000. That's 1 in 20 those are horrible odds for a major company such as wiseco. Not to mention the replacement cost of crank, cylinder/ sleve, gasket, bearings, labor, and down time. That is upwards of $600 in repairs just to save that initial $150. It would be an awesome deal with crank, bearings, and gaskets for $200, if only they were more reliable.

bean #310
12-14-2010, 06:21 PM
its got a 150 in it right now and jetted for an 86 so i was gonna put a 158 in it which is stock for the 88-89 top end like i have and put the other jets for a stock 88-89. the dome has been milled down too, would that matter with jetting too. after i bought the wiseco crack i was reading on here that they were not very reliable, but how, couldnt you just run it a little bit richer to lube the crank and rod bearings a little more.

hartwill
12-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Wilkin, Would it be allowed to post a poll or something on wiseco, hotrods, and oem cranks failure rates? Then people could reference that before they purchase. I only ask because we are all here for the same reason which is building the best machine for the money, and this topic seems to come up a lot in other peoples threads which like this one is totally off the original topic. Maybe even sticky it. Sorry bean #310.

hartwill
12-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Bean that jetting varies a lot depending on location. A bike in Maine in January will need much different jets than a bike in Arizona in July. I believe even the dealerships adjusted their jetting for their temp and altitude before they sold them. And the bearings aren't what fail, its the tins fly apart on the wiseco and the connecting rods break on the hotrods. I can't post pics on here from my phone but if you give me your email I will send you pics of my wiseco.

wilkin250r
12-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Post the poll, absolutely. If it gets attention, I'll sticky it.

However, I would ask a personal favor. When you post the poll, ask specifically for people's EXPERIENCE, not just their opinion. I'm sure that 50% of the people that hate Hotrods cranks have never actually ran one.

bean #310
12-14-2010, 06:54 PM
levibean2009@hotmail.com i would really like to see those pics...i just rebuilt the carb to stock for an 86, i live in southern illinois. id like to learn about how do jet a carb for what kind of motor i have but there is nobody around here that i know can teach me. i would like to see a poll on these cranks. mines got a bout 4-5 hrs i heard they go out about around 10 hrs

hartwill
12-14-2010, 07:11 PM
I sent you those pics.This is the best info I have found on jetting. I believe troybuilt showed me this link so he deserves the credit. http://www.duncanracing.com/TechCenter/Jetting.phtml hope this helps.

bean #310
12-14-2010, 07:58 PM
thats crazy hartwill, i guess i need to get an oem one from esr. by the time i get my carb figured out my crank will prolly go, i guess i just dont need to ride it...too cold right now anyways

hartwill
12-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Servicehonda has them for about $300 that is the cheapest I've found.