PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Mistake

Tobe_B
12-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Broke one of my filter cover bolts because I tightened it down too much. Part of the threads are still in there but the bolt came out pretty as you please. Any ideas on what I need to do to fix it?

dns1764
12-13-2010, 05:03 PM
i just had the dealer do it for me. it was like $20

Tobe_B
12-13-2010, 05:06 PM
My cousin is the head mechanic at the dealers he told me that they wouldn't do it. I'm just hoping that I don't have to pay a machine shop to get it out. For those that are familiar it isn't the short one, it's the long bolt.

CJM
12-13-2010, 05:15 PM
If your cousin is the head mechanic then why cant HE do it at HIS dealer?

How far down is it?

If its past the oil filter cover:
-you can try a screw extractor-but be warned they can break.

If its outside the case slightly/If its sticking out:

-try and grab it or cut a slot into it for a flathead with a dremel

-might be able to turn it out enough to get some pliers on it using a screwdriver or punch and a hammer.

-If you cant get to as a last resort your gonna need to remove the case cover which is a real pain b/c of all the bolts (draw a diagram of the cover on cardboard and push the bolts in it inthe proper spots btw) and then you can get it.

Your gonna need the case cover gasket, a small prybar, and a scraper (longhandle works best) and its gonna suck scraping off the gasket.

Good luck. And remember 7 ft-lbs or so. Use a 1/4 drive ratchet and palm it as you tighten it next time.

Tobe_B
12-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Thank you much, there is no using a pair of pliers, it broke off all the way in there with almost all the bolt out and only a small amount of thread actually in there. I'll give the extractor a shot and hopefully I don't break nothin else off in there. Thanks again for the help.

NacsMXer
12-13-2010, 05:20 PM
If you take the clutch cover completely off you should see the remaining stub of threads sticking out. You can then use pliers or vice grips to unscrew it.

Download the Honda Service manual for the 400EX here, it will come in handy in the future if you don't have one trust me:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/wcy9is

Then if you go to section 9 "Clutch/Gearshift Linkage" it is under RIGHT CRANKCASE COVER REMOVAL. Pretty easy to do if you're slightly mechanically inclined.

Have a new clutch cover gasket ready before you start because you will need it. It also helps to prop up the right side tires of the quad about a foot off the ground before you begin. This way you won't have to drain the oil.

AtvKid4Eva
12-13-2010, 05:21 PM
an extractor or easy out should work with ease. make sure you drill the center of the bolt when u use the easy out just take your time. good luck.

f419sr1
12-14-2010, 04:08 PM
If the stud is sticking out you can take a little larger nut and plug weld it to the stud. Let it cool then just wrench it out. The heating and cooling almost always breaks it loose. Mig works best. Cant tell you how many times Iv done this

trailrider894
12-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Get it out yet?

jensenracing77
12-14-2010, 06:02 PM
use a reverse drill bit to drill it for the maybeout (easyout). sometimes the reverse drill bit will be enough to get it out. but X2 on taking the clutch cover off.

Tommy '02EX
12-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Same thing happened to me. I just went on ebay and picked up a used clutch cover and new gasket . A lot less headache than trying to tap out the the old bolt.

jensenracing77
12-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Tommy '02EX
Same thing happened to me. I just went on ebay and picked up a used clutch cover and new gasket . A lot less headache than trying to tap out the the old bolt. the long bolt that he has broke is into the center case.

Tommy '02EX
12-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by jensenracing77
the long bolt that he has broke is into the center case.

Hmm....I broke the long bolt off as well. When I took off the clutch cover, neither bolts entered the center case. Pretty sure it is that way on most, if not all years. Unless I just dont get what you're trying to explain.

jensenracing77
12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Tommy '02EX
Hmm....I broke the long bolt off as well. When I took off the clutch cover, neither bolts entered the center case. Pretty sure it is that way on most, if not all years. Unless I just dont get what you're trying to explain.

the long bolt goes all the way through the clutch cover and threads into the center case.

MtnEX
12-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Are there any threads on the part of the bolt that came out?

If so, how much thread do you have to work with?

If you can't get it out and have enough threads to work with, you might be able to just take the bolt and go buy a new one about the right length and be done with it.