PDA

View Full Version : shortcut or problem

Bababouie400
12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
so today i decided to try and take my sprocket off so i dont ruin the teeth if i drop the whole swingarm. i unbolted the sprocket from the hub or whatever its called. if you look at the picture youll see what im talking about.
anyway i couldnt get the axle loosened by the locknut so i pretty much just gave up on that. When i took the sprocket off i noticed the thing it bolts onto is seprate from the swingarm.
i thought if i could get that off i could slide the axle out the right side. this worked but im not sure if this is supost to happen. if that sprocket hub is suppost to come off then this is a much easier way to get the axle off.

also everywhere i see axles for sale this thing is attached but on my axle there are threads that make it look like it is suppost to come off

just look at the pictures and see

1. i removed the sprocket from the hub thing

Bababouie400
12-13-2010, 04:29 PM
2. there was a clip set in a groove on the axle so i took that off. once i did that i slid the whole hub off. this was fairly easy which dosnt seem right.

Bababouie400
12-13-2010, 04:30 PM
3. then i just pulled the axle out from the right side

rubbersdown
12-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Thats right, thats all there is to it. Your going to have to loosen the big lock nut to get it to all tighten up again though

AtvKid4Eva
12-13-2010, 05:30 PM
yep it just pulls out the one side installation is the reverse make sure your dont over tighten the locknut or the bearings will fail prematurely..also you might want to invest in a locking locknut such as RAD.

Bababouie400
12-13-2010, 05:48 PM
yea i definitly need a new locknut but i just need to get this one off first and im having some trouble with that but ill worry about that when i put it all back together

CJM
12-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Rocky mtn sells a wrench set made by geforce thats awesome. Will work on the stock nuts. Beats using a pair of very large channel locks I been doing for eons.

rubbersdown
12-13-2010, 06:49 PM
I have a pair of 24" adjustable wrenches. Harbor freight $19 each. The jaws open to 2.5" so they fit easy lol.