PDA

View Full Version : 80+ Foot jumps on a cracked frame

chronicsmoke
12-13-2010, 01:47 PM
So im looking at trading my z400 for a 250r.

This guy is telling me that he rewelded the frame because it cracked, and hes hitting 80ft tables without a gusset kit. If hes going to lie about stuff like this, hes going to lie about everything on the bike.

So I guess my question is; Can a frame that has been repaired take jumps like that?

If not it destroys his reputability.

This guy is kind of an idiot to be honest. Am I wasting my time with this clown?

mineralgrey01gt
12-13-2010, 02:28 PM
i wouldnt mess with it unless it has tons of aftermarket on it and you can score another frame for a good price.

markk
12-13-2010, 07:19 PM
i would say that 80ft jump or a 10 foot jump doesnt matter- it would all depend on the face and the downside of the jump and how he landed it. If you land a jump correctly its way easier on the machine that going threw braking bumps at a GNCC. But yeah even if the frame is junk- you can pick up a good oem frame cheap. as a matter of fact my buddie has a frame in great shape with an illinios tittle thats an 87. (no welds) (no cracks)

skyeryder
12-13-2010, 08:59 PM
weight of rider???? got any pics of the R and welds?

rubbersdown
12-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Im a welder by trade do a fair amount of auto fabrication and unless the crack was in a weld to begin with I would stay clear of it. If it was just a weld that cracked and the weld was cleaned and re-welded by a professional welder than sure, no problem. If it was a tube that cracked, even if it was re-welded by a pro welder there is no "safe" way to do it unless he sleeved it (put a larger diameter tube over it) and welded the sleeve in place which im sure he didnt do. If I were you I would stay away from it or if its a good enough deal just plan on swapping out the frame.

chronicsmoke
12-14-2010, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by skyeryder
weight of rider???? got any pics of the R and welds?

Well I'm 200.. and I'm going to be doing 50 footers pretty regularly. The bike has works suspension, but only the cheapies..

and I just asked him for pictures of the welds, so I guess we will see..

Honda 250r 001
12-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Go for it. Almost every frame can be fixed by a good welder. If its on the cheaper side, its got some good aftermarkets on it, and you like it. Pick it up!

BUT be prepared to take it completely down to have it welded.

chronicsmoke
12-14-2010, 08:02 AM
haha It would match my 450r thats currently in pieces..

Waiting till the new year to bring it for powder

chronicsmoke
12-14-2010, 08:04 AM
this is his descrpition word for word from his ad;

1986 honda trx250r with a fresh rebuild with a 268cc kit. brand new wise-co pro lite piston and rings. also a boyesen intake boot and reeds, works suspension, nerfbars, renthal handle bars, full fmf fatty exhaust system, brand new bandit tires all the way around with itp aluminum rims on the front, powder coated frame- metallic midnight blue, custom aluminum skid plates and it has about 80% tread on the tires

rayman375
12-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Those nerfs are awesome, more like floor boards.

chronicsmoke
12-14-2010, 08:31 AM
haha thats what I was thinking too..

Its not nearly how I want it for myself. I would add an axle, +2s and a hood to start.

then nerfs and more cosmetics..

Burns310r
12-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Any decent weld shop should be able to repair the frame no problem.

When i get a new 250r i gusset it my self. I have learned over time where the weak spots are. A gusseted R frame can be very very strong.

So my though is if your willing to take the thing apart to get the cracks fixed (if it needs to be) then dont worry about it.

No big deal in repairing metal is what im trying to say i guess.

Fear250r
12-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Those tires certainly don't look like they have 80%, maybe he means 80% gone?