PDA

View Full Version : port and pipe question

DnB_racing
12-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I bought this cylinder of ebay
has any one heard of D.J racing from Utah??

I was told its a stage 3?? he said it was an aggressive port. the question I have is which pipe should I run with this port work?

im going to go esr and IM not sure if I should get 5 or a 9 pipe im going to run an 38as carb

the head is pro design cool head and I was told its an 18cc that he ran with one of the outer metal gasket from a 250r, which head gasket should I run Im thinking a cr250 any in put would be great

DnB_racing
12-13-2010, 11:35 AM
next one

DnB_racing
12-13-2010, 11:36 AM
port map from what it looks like.. the intake is just a little bit higher the the transfers, and the exhaust is a little narrow but cut up pretty high is this a high rev combination?? any help please

DnB_racing
12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
intake

DnB_racing
12-13-2010, 11:37 AM
exhaust

regg187
12-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I just installed my Paul Turner National Midrange ported cylinder this weekend. So the port shapes are fresh for me, I don't think that is as aggresive as you were led to think. the shapes all look close to stock while the heights are changed only slightly.
I would really put it together with the pipe you have and then evaluate which pipe will be need.

better to find out its a drag motor before
you buy a low end pipe and vice versa
jmo

DnB_racing
12-13-2010, 08:32 PM
from what ive been told any exhaust that's over 36mm to the top is a high rev port??? but im still trying to learn...what was your mapping at reggi87, im trying to figure at what angle my ports are closing, I haven't figured out how to do that yet, Ive read Mcdizzy but im still trying to understand it

fmfhonda250r
12-15-2010, 12:14 PM
It's dj racing. Dennis does good work.

regg187
12-15-2010, 08:44 PM
just looking at your papers my exhausts come across the tops of the transfers on both sides and the top of the big intake is widend and a little taller

the transfers enter on a sharper angle and it looks like the boost port area is opennd a little more but thats hard to tell in the pics.

My motor is together with about 1 hr of breakin done so I can't get ya any pics

regg187
12-15-2010, 08:48 PM
one last thing the opened areas are all chamfered heavily with large smooth transitions into the widend ports. especially the exhaust

DnB_racing
12-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by fmfhonda250r
It's dj racing. Dennis does good work. thanks for the fix!!! my dislexeia I guess.................

his work does look real nice!!!! Ill be puytting on after christmas!!

I just scored a 38mm air striker of ebay for $60 from a great guy he didnt know what it was worth I called him first and talked to him and gave him a chance to relist, and to make sure the carb was complete, he just needed to make at least fifty bucks and let it go cheap...

DnB_racing
12-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by regg187
just looking at your papers my exhausts come across the tops of the transfers on both sides and the top of the big intake is widend and a little taller

the transfers enter on a sharper angle and it looks like the boost port area is opennd a little more but thats hard to tell in the pics.

My motor is together with about 1 hr of breakin done so I can't get ya any pics you didnt do the outline??? from what Ive been reading ,always map the ports so you can learn what does what, Ive been away from 2 strokes for a long time so i have a lot of catching up to do!!!!! I joined McDizzy and feel like a first grader compared to some of those technicians!!!

regg187
12-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Wasn't trying to belittle the port work, I just saw differences in the porting, which doesn't seem so aggresive, which isn't a bad thing by any means, but to make sure your pipe complemented your motor.
also look for late 90's kx's they came with 38 pwk as's and they sell the carbs cheap

DnB_racing
12-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by regg187
Wasn't trying to belittle the port work, I just saw differences in the porting, which doesn't seem so aggresive, which isn't a bad thing by any means, but to make sure your pipe complemented your motor.
also look for late 90's kx's they came with 38 pwk as's and they sell the carbs cheap no no!!! You didnt come off sounding at all condescending, all is good!!

im just trying to learn what does what and that's why I asked what your was like I was hoping you did an outline map so I could compare the sizes and shapes and see how yours responds to your size and shape ports!!!
I can afford to buy a bunch of them myself so I was hoping to compare the maps with other members and what each does,

maybe I should start a post and ask for maps and results!!

450madman
12-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I bought this cylinder of ebay
has any one heard of D.J racing from Utah??

I was told its a stage 3?? he said it was an aggressive port. the question I have is which pipe should I run with this port work?

im going to go esr and IM not sure if I should get 5 or a 9 pipe im going to run an 38as carb

the head is pro design cool head and I was told its an 18cc that he ran with one of the outer metal gasket from a 250r, which head gasket should I run Im thinking a cr250 any in put would be great
DnB, I sold you that cylinder on Ebay. I said that a stage 3 port is the most extreme port job. I don't remember saying it was an agressive port job, but no big deal. I don't know much about porting but I was told that DJ racing does excellent work and this port job is a mid-top end job. I had 180 psi compression with that set up. You may want to play around with head gaskets or domes to get your desired compression ratio. As far as the pipe goes, it depends on your riding style. If you want to retain some bottom end I would go with the ESR trx5 pipe, it's supposed to be one of the best all-around pipes. The trx9 pipe may be to big for a non big bore motor. I installed an ESR trx9r pipe on my ESR310 big bore with the trx9 cast port job and noticed a loss in power on the bottom end. FMF Fatty with that top end worked great. I might put that FMF pipe on Ebay soon. Hope everything works out for you.

DnB_racing
12-22-2010, 01:30 PM
great!!! im glad your a member on the forum!
aggressive, extreme, either one, im not real sure which you said, it doesn't matter,

im just trying to get every thing set to put together,and I want it all to work together.it looks real nice, but i really dont know much about porting my self, that's why im asking questions, its not that I didnt trust you at all!! Im just trying to learn

The reason I was asking about stage three porting is Ive been told that stage doesn't really tell you much,

I had these questions when i bought it from you but I didnt want to be a pain in your arss

450madman
12-22-2010, 01:50 PM
The shop I go to had DJ Racing do the port work and all I was told is that it's a stage 3. Sorry I don't have any spec info on that port job for you.

DnB_racing
12-22-2010, 01:53 PM
that's fine!!! you did everything I asked for, and I would definitely buy from you again!!

and you even left the feedback when I payed for the items, which is rare, and that's the only way I leave 5 stars in the communication area, needless to say, but you definitely got 5 stars across the board

derby
12-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Depending on what rod length/piston/spacer plate/gaskets you use I would say your exhaust will be in the neighborhood of 187-189 degrees and your transfers 122-124 degrees. That is a rough estimate because I don't have an exact measurement of all your parts.