PDA

View Full Version : guad runs on reserve but not on run

cjmadison9
12-13-2010, 11:26 AM
gotta raptor 350, fuel runs outta the tank when its on reserve but when its on "ON" it wont flow, any ideas? can i just run it on reserve? wikk it make a difference?

sixer3
12-13-2010, 11:39 AM
running it on reserve wont hurt anything but in the event you run out of gas by accident you wont have any left to get you anywhere. I suggest pulling the petcock apart carefully. Most likely just some gunk in there, use some carb cleaner and throw it back together.

wilkin250r
12-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Running on reserve won't hurt anything, there's no danger. However, the root cause of the problem might cause more problems down the road.

Your petcock runs up into your fuel tank, and it has two inlets on it, one higher than the other.

What normally happens is you set your fuel switch to "on", and it draws fuel from the upper inlet. When your fuel level drops below, you quad dies, and you switch to "reserve", and that allows you to draw the last 1 inch or so of gas from your tank and allows you to get back to camp.

Apparently your upper inlet is clogged somehow. And it may not be actually clogged in the tank, it might have clogged that passage in your petcock. Running on reserve won't hurt anything at all, it's still coming from the same tank. The only danger is that you won't have any warning when you run out of gas.

However, the BIGGER problem is how/why it clogged in the first place. If you have junk in your tank, you might be pulling that junk in through your carb, and risking a clog there, or causing your carb to overfill and spill out the overflow. The reserve setting isn't a danger in itself, but junk in your tank IS a problem. My crystal ball sees a carb rebuild and a fuel filter in your future.

cjmadison9
12-15-2010, 06:51 AM
i figured it out i tore it apart and found that when i was turning it to off, reserve, an on it actually has a rubber gasket behind the valve to keep it from leackin well it got bound up somehow, dont know if it got hooked on it or what, but it was all smashed and tore and it was coverin up the on hole in the petcock, ordered a new one but thatnks guy for you advice i apprietiate it