PDA

View Full Version : Rev Limiter?

trailrider894
12-13-2010, 10:25 AM
So, i was just thinking it and i have never hit the rev limiter... This makes me wonder if i have an Aftermarket Rev Box.. How can i tell? and how often do you guys hit your limiters?

3400ben
12-13-2010, 01:53 PM
It depends in how you ride. I never hit mine in six years. I built my motor and hit the limiter 6 to 8 time in a 30 min ride. So I changed the gearing and I don't hit it now.

trailrider894
12-13-2010, 02:05 PM
I just feel like i could Rev it to kingdom come and it would never hit the limiter. I rev until i feel un comfortable revving it that high, then i stop. I have riden 450's that hit the limited in no time.

3400ben
12-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Get a tach and put on it. Than you a see how many Rpm you are at when you rev it.

BlasterEaten250
12-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Usually aftermarket cdi's only raise the rev limit, not eliminate it. I never hit my rev limiter either.

bherriman
12-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Are your valve springs in decent condition/ fairly new? A motor not turning rpm is a good sign of weak springs. The stock limit is like 9100 or something right around there, which is to a bit too high in my opinion. There is no need to turn these puppies anything over 8 grand. I've never hit mine either.

CJM
12-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I hit mine so much that I thought my clutch was going bad. No, riding on the road just confirms Im slipping in the sand.

Really depends on the terrain you ride imho. More slippery the more it wants to hit since your giving it more cause your slipping and dont realize it.

3400ben
12-13-2010, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CJM
I hit mine so much that I thought my clutch was going bad. No, riding on the road just confirms Im slipping in [/QUOT

Sound like you need to change some sprockets!!

trailrider894
12-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Well honestly, i don't know about the valve springs... Its never been rebuilt so they are still stock. The engine is due for a re-build for sure!

bherriman
12-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Yea man, get a nice set of inner and outer valve springs, it will help a lot. Also make sure you've got the valves adjusted properly. We were experimenting on a dirt track motor we built this summer and changing the gap from .016 to .020 decreased the RPM that motor would turn by 400 rpm.

2001400exrida
12-13-2010, 05:35 PM
you can hit it in 1st gear i garuntee ya or just rev it in neutral and see if you hit it.

if you're trying to top it out on the road in 5th gear it takes a little bit to hit the rev limiter, you don't have a whole lot of power way up there in the rpm's, if you have a headwind or up a hill you won't have the power to hit it.

try hitting it in neutral real quick or do a burnout in 1st or 2nd gear and i be tyou hit it.

450's have tons of power and htey will hit the rev limiters much faster, u can get them wound out in 5th much faster also.

CJM
12-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 3400ben
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CJM
I hit mine so much that I thought my clutch was going bad. No, riding on the road just confirms Im slipping in [/QUOT

Sound like you need to change some sprockets!!

Nope, tried it. I changed to a 16t front and 38 rear and wasnt happy with the power delivery. So then I went back to 15t/39t and I end up swapping from 2nd and 3rd to much, so did 14t/38t and Im happy. trust me its the sand, unless you got paddles your not getting enough traction. BTDT and I dont like paddles since its not light sand like a beach but more harder packed stuff and makes for one heck of a bumpy ride. I have kenda klaws right now and on harder terrain they are good but the soft stuff they are so so .

What gearing are you using, we have similar setups.

trailrider894
12-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Nope, tried it. I changed to a 16t front and 38 rear and wasnt happy with the power delivery. So then I went back to 15t/39t and I end up swapping from 2nd and 3rd to much, so did 14t/38t and Im happy. trust me its the sand, unless you got paddles your not getting enough traction. BTDT and I dont like paddles since its not light sand like a beach but more harder packed stuff and makes for one heck of a bumpy ride. I have kenda klaws right now and on harder terrain they are good but the soft stuff they are so so .

What gearing are you using, we have similar setups.

Stock Gearing, whatever that is. That is one thing i have never messed with.

Bherriman, I will for sure do that. Let me know what you find!! Do you have a brand that you can recommend or is OEM the way to go?

CJM
12-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Stock Gearing, whatever that is. That is one thing i have never messed with.

Bherriman, I will for sure do that. Let me know what you find!! Do you have a brand that you can recommend or is OEM the way to go?
15/38 probably then. Im still experimenting with mine. For some reason I had a 15/39 on mine when i got it, not the standard 15/38.

bherriman
12-13-2010, 06:39 PM
I am assuming you are running the stock cam? It doesn't say in your sig, but with the stock cam or a cam with close to stock lift I would use The OEM springs. If you are running a cam with some lift to it I would go with Kibblewite or Wiseco.

trailrider894
12-13-2010, 07:51 PM
As of now i am running a stock cam, but i am planning on going through the motor sometime soon and will be building it fully for MX.

trailrider894
12-14-2010, 11:57 AM
What do you suggest i run with my sprockets? I ride MX and just play riding around the field because its winter time and i can't cross the creek to get to the trails.