PDA

View Full Version : pictures of 450r plastics on a 250r

gixxerbob
12-12-2010, 09:31 PM
im looking for pictures of 450 plastics on a 250r. I saw a picture in the "show off your R" thread but cant go through the 275+ pages looking for it again. any tips for mounting them would be appreciated too. thanks -rob

troybilt
12-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Here you go: fugly imo, :D just kidding... I think the color selection is horrible here though, should be black or white frame.. the yellow and blue is just awful

chronicsmoke
12-13-2010, 08:10 AM
It would look alright if he changes the colour, or graphics to match the yellow and blue.. Why would you ever want to get rid of the 250r look? The new Highland 450s are using 250r inspired plastics. and it looks half assed with the petcock space just showing the frame..

To each their own, But id save money and buy new 250r fenders and a hood to match :)

gixxerbob
12-13-2010, 08:29 AM
thanks troybilt, it does look strange and that particular quad needs some fresh powder coating in new colors imho. I really want oem plastics and original 250r fenders are not cheap. its going to look a little different on my R but its going to be nice to pick up the extra volume in the tank (almost a half gallon) especially since im going to have a built and race ported cr500 motor drinking gas like water in a desert.

I know many people are not a fan of the cr500 swap but my crank is already at crankworks to be balanced so hopefully that will help the vibes. Any ideas on making a 44mm carb fit to a airbox? excessive huh? it has a 2 3/4 inch flange to the air box boot.

troybilt
12-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by gixxerbob
thanks troybilt, it does look strange and that particular quad needs some fresh powder coating in new colors imho. its going to look a little different on my R but its going to be nice to pick up the extra volume in the tank (almost a half gallon) especially since im going to have a built and race ported cr500 motor drinking gas like water in a desert.

I know many people are not a fan of the cr500 swap but my crank is already at crankworks to be balanced so hopefully that will help the vibes. Any ideas on making a 44mm carb fit to a airbox? excessive huh? it has a 2 3/4 inch flange to the air box boot.

ON the contrary I'm a big fan of that conversion. However, if the frame is not converted already I'd suggest looking at a Laeger CR500 frame that was designed for the CR500 motor as a reference for you're conversions. They use SOLID mounts with upright tubes for the front motor mounts. Just from looking at that design, (which is how a dirt bike frame is done), should help with the vibrations/harmonics... FWIW. You probably already knew all that, just something I picked up recently when studying a Laeger CR500 frame. Goodluck! keep us posted!

Go with the 450r plastic, I think it if its done right it could look great. I think the pic above looks a little cobbled together.

troybilt
12-13-2010, 08:40 AM
For your reference: http://www.trx250r.net/trx250rforums/index.php?showtopic=7034&hl=cr500

gixxerbob
12-13-2010, 08:53 AM
i think there were only 11 or so leager frames made tho and they would probably cost me a fortune, ill look for one in a year or so but for now im going to modify the stock frame. As of now its my first quad build and i have a ton of aftermarket parts going into it (everything but radiator and frame) so once i get it finished i will look into a frame anf probably an afco radiator since it has the best pipe-to-outlet clearance. I saw a 400ex/cr500 swap and i know that guy put vertical members right infront of the cylinder and he said it made the quad so much better to ride. As far as the mounting i have never been a fan of the rubber mounts (even in my 240sx i removed all the rubber bushings in favor of aluminum mounts). I am going to reinforce the frame as much as possible as close to the motor as i can get. I don't want long tab mounts and will probably use 1/4 inch steel. Once finals come to an end i will start a build thread. hopefully i will be done by mid january.

tritty_wall
12-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Here is a quad I was going to buy, that my buddy ended up buying. Its a 05 450r and the guy put 250R fenders on it. I really like the look but the guy said they weren't hard to mount, just there is no place for the petcock.

chronicsmoke
12-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by tritty_wall
Here is a quad I was going to buy, that my buddy ended up buying. Its a 05 450r and the guy put 250R fenders on it. I really like the look but the guy said they weren't hard to mount, just there is no place for the petcock.

Cool, First one I've ever saw like that.

Powder that Frame black!! not feeling the red lol

tritty_wall
12-13-2010, 11:43 AM
yah, its my buddys and the only thing he knows about a quad is how to ride one. So I'll prob. have to take this quad under my wing. I told him first to get ride of the red seat and get a black quad tech one, new nurfs, and a long travel front end. I got some hi-per rims I'm selling him for it to. He's tryin to get all the money together for that then, we'll go front there. lol

chronicsmoke
12-13-2010, 11:55 AM
haha yah maybe even just changing the seat will make a difference..

That red/yellow makes me want a Big Mac haha

markk
12-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Ok guys and gals,,, iv sceen the pics with the trx450r plastics--- and im diggin it--- does anyone have any info on how they mounted the plastics?? (where you able to build the brackets and use the OEM fender mounts to bolt them up?) did anything have to be shaved off any plastics??? and how did you mount the rear seat??? (did the 450r seat pan line up with the front seat hooks on the frame??

anyone with any info please post or pm me.
thanks alot
mark knox

troybilt
12-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Mark, unfortunately I haven't heard what all is involved. This bike was on ebay sometime back, 2 years maybe.. I just stole the pic... I've got 450r rear plastic I can see if it lines up at all... I can imagine its not the easiest conversion. The 250r has the seat mounted to the rear plastic and is removeable all as one. The 450r, the rear plastic mates to the subframe and the seat is detachable without taking the plastic off... something I wish the 250r was like... off-topic though.

DnB_racing
12-13-2010, 08:59 PM
there will be some cutting necessary.. the 450 has a storage box for tools and manual that will have to be removed . and I think you will have to remove the air box from the 250, this is just from a quick look but if needed I will give a better look tomorrow,, I haven looked at the fronts yet

markk
12-14-2010, 04:24 PM
no big deal guys- iv gota 250rframe and and a cpl sets of 450r plastics and a cpl 450 seats to do all my measureing from if needed. iv bought just a frame a year ago- and iv got all the time in the world to figgure it out. im not in a bug hurry to finish it.

vroomy
12-15-2010, 11:18 PM
what about the other way, 250R plastics on a 450?? i saw the pic earlier in this thread but doesn't seem to be a great fit. Has anyone managed to do a real nice job on one? the honda 450 is so ugly imo

Honda 250r 001
12-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by vroomy
what about the other way, 250R plastics on a 450?? i saw the pic earlier in this thread but doesn't seem to be a great fit. Has anyone managed to do a real nice job on one? the honda 450 is so ugly imo

The 250 plastic will never cover up the machine like the 450 plastic will. the 250 is so much lower to the ground and so it doesnt need that much plastic to cover up the tank seat, etc. but the 450 is higher and requires more plastic above the top frame rail to cover every thing up. that is why the 250 plastic will never cover everything up on the 450. My .02. Someone correct me if im wrong.

vroomy
12-20-2010, 02:17 PM
walsh do a sub frame and fuel tank kit that lowers the 450 seat height, i wonder if 250r plastics would cover with that kit?