PDA

View Full Version : 450r Info?

Foxhound013
12-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Could anyone explain to me the differences on the 04-05 and the 06 and up, from what ive heard the 04 and 05 had a better front end, other than that though I hear they're just the same(minus cosmetic), I was wondering because i may be trading my 400ex and 88 1500 truck for an 05 450r. We tried to pick it up today but we slid off the road and the quad flew outta the back of the truck, we broke a front spindle, the guy wants to meet up and trade after we fix it. Whatta you guys think of the trade?

dran714
12-12-2010, 04:09 PM
ok here it is the quick rundown yes the 05 had better handling front spindle's and some said they were too twitchy.. the motor;s are quite a bit different the 06 up had 12 to 1 compression bigger piston and lil different cam and Flat slide FCR carb instead of the butterfly/slide the 04 05's had. the 06 had a plus .75 inch longer rear swingarm and better linkage, better shocks all way around now.. i still prefer the 04 05 bikes to build up. but stock to stock youd enjoy the 06 and up better. Check out www.trx450r.org/forum for better info than this site. later D.www.trx450r.org/forum (http://www.trx450r.org/forum)

Foxhound013
12-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I plan on buildin it up for xc so it sounds like the 04-05 will be good, i planned on upgrading shocks as soon as possible anyways so shocks shouldn't be to big of a deal. Thanks for the info man, I appreciate the help. Anything else anyone wants to add in about the 04-05 for xc is welcomed

dran714
12-12-2010, 06:53 PM
oh and the 04 05 had an oil cooler to keep the oil temp lower it would be better for xc. ill probably think of some more stuff but if you plan on building it up and want to start cheap than you can find the earilier bikes cheap these days.. warning tho all the 450s are prone to crank bearing failure so... good luck

ps you could send your shocks to gt thunder and they can revalve and set them for your weight for way less than high dollar aftermarket;s

Foxhound013
12-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah i was about to ask about that, i've read about crank bearings, I just ran into one with a stroker crank, +3mm i think, i'm thinking it'd have better crank bearings, its got a stg 2 hotcam which might be goin if i get it, wheel spacers, tusk nerfbars, and ltr tires and rims i think, and pro taper bars, if i get this one i'd prolly get rid of everything exept for the crank, maybe cam, and bars, everything else id try to sell and replace with somethin else, supposedly it starts up first kick when its warmed up, a few when cold, all the work was supposedly done about a month ago. oh and its also got a full big gun exhaust which i may or may not keep if i got it. Whatta ya think? Its an 05, theres another 05 with just tires and a pipe. Any opinion on what i should go with? I figured the stroker will be good for the woods cause of all the low end power, it just needs a different cam and some xc parts put on it.

dran714
12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
well its up to you and your budget yes the stroker has lots of bottom end but im guessing with all that bottom the stage 2 will give you pull from bottom to top. i have a stage 3 and i still have tons of bottom(and tons of top ) but i ride dunes,, yeah id shoot for the one with fresh engine, maybe ask to see some reciepts or talk the guy with the mostly stock bike way down and build it how you want.. oh and another plus of the early bikes is tons of bottom end mostly due to the carb..

Foxhound013
12-13-2010, 05:26 PM
The only thing is i don't like how extensive the work is to the stroker. It worries me that something could be wrong. I don't have the money to go and fix something thats messed up and prolly won't before the race season starts. Id have to buy tires, nerfs and get rid of the wheel spacers on it too. The stock engine one has more of the xc type stuff i want on it as is. the only thing motorwise about it that makes me a little uneasy is crank bearings. Otherwise the other one seems to be the safer deal and better set up for what i want as is. My dad had brought up a good point too, this being my first year racing am i really gonna need that stroker cranks power? He's raced 2 years on the 400 and has done well. Adding a stroker crank later on would be a fun project for the 450.

desratt
12-13-2010, 08:03 PM
between 04-05 the major change was stroke and bore change.. I perfer the 06 as it seems to rev faster.. the tranny has different gear ratio's also I think it is much better in the 06 but the 05 trannys last longer..

I think the front end on the 06 is better but the spindles are smaller that is why alot of people prefer the 05 spindle..

electric start wasn't available till 06 . oil sumps are different.
the 06 and newer engines lean forward alittle more.

MX_Racer_20
12-17-2010, 10:41 AM
well did ya get one?

my buddy was telling me that his brother traded his 05 450 for a 400ex and a truck.

curious if it was you????

Foxhound013
12-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Haha, yep, it was his brother, your locations mt carmel and thats where he was from lol. We met down in vincennes, I'm absolutely in love with the bike

MX_Racer_20
12-17-2010, 05:25 PM
its a good looking quad. pretty slow in stock form though :blah: . we ran it against my kfx after he got it last week and i beat it pretty easily but the kfx isn't stock.

we're always looking for new ppl and places to ride so hit us up some time if you wanna ride.

you say your building it for xc. where do you plan on racing? we plan on racing xc next year as well.

think he said your from washington ???

Foxhound013
12-18-2010, 02:51 PM
She seems pretty fast to me lol, but i'm comin off a 400ex lol, Its got so much more low end and top end, I notice the difference big time even in this stupid snow lol, heck even the stock suspension is great lol, im sure it could be a whole lot better after i get the money to send em to jet but i like em now lol. We're up by terre haute, I'm prolly gonna start out racin in casey IL. and after a while maybe try to hit up a few midwest or ixcr races. I'm definitly excited for the race season to start up. First year racing is gonna be fun :D lol

MX_Racer_20
12-18-2010, 05:46 PM
cool maybe we'll run into ya sometime as those are places we plan on racing (casey and midwest xc)

Foxhound013
12-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Sweet, I look forward to seeing you guys at casey, i'm gonna stick to the casey races to start with and maybe a lil ways into the year i might do some others.

Foxhound013
12-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Here she is

http://i53.tinypic.com/2e3sf4n.jpg

I love this bike lol, I can't wait till it warms up and I can actually get traction on it lol.
I think my plan is to take care of the slip on and suspension first, then the bumper lol, I don't care for the bumper much at all lol, I'm thinkin about tryin to get a pro armor bull horn

Foxhound013
12-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Is it possible to put an electric start on and keep my kick start too, I just figured an electric start would be nice to have on the side of a hill or other wierd spots out in the woods lol, Thanks