PDA

View Full Version : Cam Chain Replacement

Darrell
02-11-2003, 09:08 AM
I was wondering what all is involved in replacing the cam chain.

Does the engine have to be removed from the frame?

And, according to the manuel I've looked at, there is a special tool for the the chain tensioner. Is this tool really needed? and where can you get one if it is? (Honda dealer the only place?).

The manuel I have doesn't go into any detail, and the other question I have is; after the side cover is removed, what has to be taken apart to get the chain away from the crankshaft?

Thanks in advance

nakomis0
02-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Im not sure about the 300ex... but for the 400ex it goes something like this..

Ya don;t need to remove the engine, or that side case you are talking about.

You need to take off the Head all the way until you can see the rod and piston.

At that point remove the old chain, and 'fish' the new chain on. I long skinny magnet would probably help with that because its slightly difficult to fish the chain on but not much.

Then just put the motor back together. Don't forget to align the timing right, and put on a new head gasket.

02-11-2003, 05:02 PM
i was just wonderin the same thing this morning..:D

nakomis0
02-11-2003, 05:18 PM
Oh ya I wanted to add, that 'Special Tool':huh . I don't know what the h@ll the manual is talking about. TheY give you these damn dimensions, and tell you to cut this key out of metal? I was like wtf?

All you have to do is use a small flat head screw driver.

02-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0

All you have to do is use a small flat head screw driver.

Sounds to fancy and expensive to me..I"ll just cut the key out of my truck bumber..:uhoh:

Darrell
02-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks, that screwdriver trick worked on the tensioner appraatis thingie.

But on the 300EX, its looks to me (looking at a Honda Service Manuel) that the oil pump fits over the end of the crankshaft not allowing you to be able to fish the chain through the top. And beings the chain has no master link, you'd have to loop it around the end of the crank to get it on the crank gear (with the side cover off).

I don't know, I was hoping to get some advice from someone who has done a 300EX (or 250X). I just want to have my ducks in a row when I tear it down.

I hate not being able to ride because I'm waiting on parts. Know what I mean?

What! I just hate not being able to ride period.....

02-11-2003, 08:26 PM
someone will know for sure soon or just go to the links section,..there's plenty of engine builders that would tell you with 100% accuracy what needs to be done..:cool:

dhines
02-12-2003, 07:58 AM
I have done this but it was a while ago so I may not have every step correct but here are the very simplified steps...

1. Remove valve cover
2. Remove clutch side case
3. Remove clutch plates and basket
4. Remove cam tensioner
5. Remove cam
6. Drop cam chain down the little tunnel :confused2
7. Pull chain out over gears
8. Install new chain down tunnel and over gear
9. Put it all back together
10. Start engine
11. Ignore grinding noises and flames
12. Get your ride on!!!
:macho

Peace out

Darrell
02-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Cool, so the head and cylinder does not have to be removed, right?

dhines
02-12-2003, 09:51 AM
I'm fairly certain it does not - but again it's been forever since I've worked on a 300EX.

Darrell
02-16-2003, 10:00 PM
OK everyone, I tore into it. Fot those of you that are wondering (or care) here is what I had to do to get the chain out.

Remove Valve Cover
Remove Side Cover
Remove Clutch Basket
Remove Oil Pump
And all the other little things like the oil line, cam etc.

So in case you have to tear into yours, this is what you have to face. I'll be putting it all together tuesday night (after parts come in) I'll let you know how it turns out..LOL

Again, thanks for the input.

nakomis0
02-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Im not sure about the 300ex... but for the 400ex it goes something like this..

Ya don;t need to remove the engine, or that side case you are talking about.

You need to take off the Head all the way until you can see the rod and piston.

At that point remove the old chain, and 'fish' the new chain on. I long skinny magnet would probably help with that because its slightly difficult to fish the chain on but not much.

Then just put the motor back together. Don't forget to align the timing right, and put on a new head gasket.

D@mn I was like 100% wrong:uhoh: My bad, when i did my motor work my chain came off and I thought it could just be pulled out. But I must not of remembered right.

I been meaning to replace my cam chain.. I'm glad I didn't go at it by taking the whole head off.:) I would of used my manual anyways, theres always something I might of overlooked.

But anyways sorry about giving the wrong info.

Darrell
02-17-2003, 08:41 PM
no biggy dude, thanks for the posts just the same.

The oil pump was in the way to get the chain away from the crank, and the clutch basket was in the way of gettin the oil pump out..LOL

I DO HAVE a regular Honda Sevice Manuel, but it doesn't go into any detail on just a "cam chain replacement". I guess they figure just tear into it and you'll see what has to be removed, and it will be a no brainer..LOL

Thanks again everyone :)