PDA

View Full Version : largest quad race ever??

IRISH-RACER-14
12-11-2010, 05:36 PM
over 1000 bikes and quads racing on one weekend on a beach on a 4.5 mile track? This is known as the weston beach race,which is held each year. classes for quads,youth quads, mx bikes, sidecars etc..

could this be the largest quad race or is there bigger?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i1jU2ge2MH4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i1jU2ge2MH4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

jcs003
12-12-2010, 06:32 AM
i seen a banshee and a tri-z. the only two strokes in the footage. whats up with the bikes with the sidecars?lmao!!

IRISH-RACER-14
12-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
i seen a banshee and a tri-z. the only two strokes in the footage. whats up with the bikes with the sidecars?lmao!!

i have no idea haha.first bend would be scary with all those quads haha

ikas
12-12-2010, 07:40 AM
There was no banshee it was a vls. And Sidecar is something that usually run along with the quad in europe. Not in the same heat as in weston but the same race weekend. Such as the European Championship.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j2IuOnkTHK0?fs=1&amp;hl=sv_SE"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j2IuOnkTHK0?fs=1&amp;hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

jcs003
12-12-2010, 08:16 AM
thanks ikas. that just looks silly too me. i wonder if sidecar motoX will ever make it in the U.S.?

ikas
12-12-2010, 08:25 AM
thanks ikas. that just looks silly too me. i wonder if sidecar motoX will ever make it in the U.S.?
More info if you are interested in it.

Sidecar racing, known as Sidecarcross has been around since the 1950s but has declined in popularity ever since mid-1980s. This variant is common in Europe, with a few followers in USA, New Zealand and Australia. The premier competition, the Sidecarcross World Championship, is contested on European tracks only and almost exclusively by Europeans.
Motocross sidecars are purpose built frames that resemble an ordinary motocross-cycle with a flat platform to stand on attached to either side and a handlebar at waist height to hold on to. The side of the "chair" (slang for the platform) usually follows the side of the road the nation in question drives upon, but not always. The passenger balances the bike by being a counterweight, especially in corners and on jumps. It is driven on ordinary crosstracks.
It is very physically demanding, especially for the passenger. This is reflected in most in the Swedish term for passenger - "burkslav", roughly translated as trunk/body/barrel-slave. This name comes from the early sidecars where the platform looked like a real road-sidecar and not today's platform.
The major frame builders today are VMC, BSU, AYR, EML and Woodenleg. Ordinary engines can be used, but size matters and two engines purpose built for sidecars exist, Zabel (Germany) and MTH (Austria) are most common. Four-strokes are getting more common, usually KTM (Austria).

jcs003
12-12-2010, 08:31 AM
interesting stuff ikas. im sure there are some gnarley wrecks in these saidecar races.

just looked up the vls-560 quad. this is a beast. 560cc 2-stroke.:D

bbender85
12-12-2010, 12:43 PM
that race is in a few of the huevos vids, the sidecars always crack me up.

yellowzo3
12-12-2010, 12:43 PM
i remember watching this in one of the old huevos videos... it was pretty crazy. I can picture all of us on this site going for gold crashing everywhere lmao :p

trick450r
12-13-2010, 09:59 AM
lol i dont see much racing, looks more like 1000 quads riding on a beach.

IRISH-RACER-14
12-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by trick450r
lol i dont see much racing, looks more like 1000 quads riding on a beach.

well you cant exactly go full speed on the rough surface that had been ruined by bikes the day before? also its a 3hour indurance race.. not a motocross race