View Full Version : Having troubles

RCR_531
12-11-2010, 03:09 PM
I have a 2009 DRR 50 water cooled and after a little time of running it the quad losses power. The if you let sit for a couple seconds it will come back a live for a short time. I may have cracked the Resistor trying to line the two up. Would this cause it or should I look else where. It runs great for a short pratice and one race but by the second one it won't pull it self up the jumps.

I have changed the tourqe spring with a new red and it has 3.5 rollers. Clutch is kicking in at 6100rpm just seems like something is getting hot and shutting it down. Thanks Rodney

hotquads1
12-11-2010, 04:46 PM
which exhaust do you have ?

rmuscle
12-11-2010, 04:58 PM
ive seen thet prob with bad stator

RCR_531
12-11-2010, 09:06 PM
stock exhaust with the 2011 R cyl and head. The stator has been wet from pressure washing the quad and didn't know about the large hole by the oil pump. It is still oil injected

Nichols Atvs
12-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Replace crank seals replace both sides cheap fix we fought this on a 50 last season replaced seals FIXED.

fomospede
12-12-2010, 10:32 AM
rcr, that resistor is for the head light i think has nothing to do with the engine
crank seals is a good idea
maybe the coil?
your air cooled 90 coil would work !

EthansDad
12-12-2010, 06:56 PM
when you say losing power and shutting down, be more specific. does the engine still run fine, but the quad won't pull the hills, or does it start sputtering and have poor engine noises?

also, what makes it come back to power besides time / cooling? are you changing anything in cool down cycles?

on a 50, my guess without more info is you are overheating your clutch with your new cylinder / pipe combo. when you start making serious RPMs on the little 50s, they will burn up clutches/(torque springs) faster than a build 90. when they cool down, the spring will regain some of its life, but not all of it. if that is your issue, you will have to find a good balance between clutch power transfer, engagement and spring / clutch life.

-EA

RCR_531
12-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I have a new updated coil the organe one on it. It will idle but when you give it gas it wants to die or bog will not rev up almost like it is running out of gas. Then with in a couple seconds it will run ok for a short time before doing it again. I will change out the crank seals and I have them in the tool box. We did have it running good for about 4 hours with this exhaust and cly setup. Then it started so change the torque spring. Then we went to the Sandbox indoor and he ran 2 lap pratice and 1.5(7 laps total) races before it started to do it again. Would like to get this figured out before going to Florida but We may need to look up some people while we are down there for help. Thanks for the replies

fomospede
12-13-2010, 12:23 AM
ethansdad may be on the money
what is the stall rpm?
if it is stalling to low the 50 wont overcome it, so maybe the 3 clutch springs went soft ? they dont last long at all
now i would check that bell for runout it it got warm it could be out of round and it doesnt take much for them to act up

how was turnout at the sandbox for the mini's??

selbygirl
12-13-2010, 05:52 AM
a few years back on our drr 50 had simaler problem ther was to much fuil line travel take a fuel line or hose run it from the tank strate to the carb i got rid of the stock shut off went to hard ware store got one used for the lawn tractor i had the c clip in the carb move on me before even had one come off but i would try the fuel line it only takes a few minuts take care tommy

jerkyboy
12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Also check the little screen in the petcock sometimes they get clogged

RCR_531
12-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful.

Turn out at the Sandbox was small but it was the first one and from what i heard a lot of people were still getting their crops out. It was better the second one but we didn't make it.

Looks like I need to get some part ordered. Thanks again for all of the ideas

hotquads1
12-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by RCR_531
stock exhaust with the 2011 R cyl and head. The stator has been wet from pressure washing the quad and didn't know about the large hole by the oil pump. It is still oil injected

It sounds like the bike is overheating(maybe lack of lubrication) this is the stock 09' 50 pipe ? or the newer stock pipe ? did you install the new cylinder or someone else , I ask this because the new cylinder requires the removal of the oil injection pump, unless some radical changes were made . Are you sure the oil pump is still there? There should not be a large hole beside the oil pump , it is covered with a factory panel . the engine could be trying to sieze-up . Have you performed a compression test ?

RCR_531
12-17-2010, 11:23 AM
stock 09 exhaust still and yes the oil pump is still there. It did take some work to get the cyl and oil pump to work together. The spark plug looks good in color but I have not tried a leak down on it yet. May put it back to stock and see how it runs for a test. It hard to test it now with all of the snow but in a Week we will be Florida for a 4 day test. Hopefully the warmer weather will make it easier to get it dailed in. Thanks for all the replies and help.