PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket a arms question

rablack21
12-11-2010, 02:04 PM
I have just installed a pair of +3+1 lonestar a arms. The caster has been set at 5 degrees. The camber is set at 3 degrees. And the toe in has been set. What I am wondering about is when you get on the quad and bounce up and down on the pegs hard, the tires will toe in quiet a bit from the compression every time you bounce and then go back to its original position. Is it supposed to do that? Will that cause me problems on large jumps? It moves the handle bars also when it does this. I'm just wondering if I have set up something wrong.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DnB_racing
12-11-2010, 02:47 PM
if your running stock shocks yes it will cause problems you should get your shocks built for the additional leverage that the extra length gives you!!

rablack21
12-11-2010, 02:52 PM
I also bought shocks that were setup for the a arms.

rablack21
12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
It appears that what I am seeing is called bump steer, and it is a common thing. Other than a steering stabilizer, is there any other ways to cut down on bump steer?

Also, which steering stabilizers do you guys prefer? I have been considering the one from Streamline.

Also, is it better to set the toe with my weight on the quad or without. Most directions don't mention someone on the quad, but my drops down quite a bit when I am on it.

Scro
12-13-2010, 10:54 AM
You want to set up your suspension with you on the quad. The bumpsteer is cause by the tierods and a-arms rotating on a different plane. A stabilizer will do nothing to reduce the amount of bumpsteer. I'm not sure about 250r stems, but you can buy 450r stems that are "reduced bumpsteer". It's almost impossible to design a front end with zero bumpsteer without sacrificing other charateristics, but it can be greatly reduced.