PDA

View Full Version : Headlights on my car stay on after i turn the car off

Sjorge450R
12-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Can I turn this off somehow? When I park at home, my car faces directly into my neighbors house and I come home late everynight so this must be annoying for them.

Its a 99 buick century if that makes a difference. I tried googling this, but I cannot find an answer.

XXX -rider
12-09-2010, 09:35 AM
:eek: keep a hammer handy :D
in the mean time you can unhook the battery when you park it ,..for a temporary fix ..

Thumpin440ex
12-09-2010, 10:45 AM
If I am not mistaking there should be a switch in there that allows them to be adjusted for how long they stay on after you shut the car off. At least my moms cadi is like that. I am pretty sure most GM's are the same way..

John

Sjorge450R
12-09-2010, 12:05 PM
yeah someone told me that they can be turned off, but he didnt know how to do it. I know with like VW's, theres something like a code scanner that you plug in and adjust things.

CJM
12-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Turn the dial to the left of the steering wheel to one of the positions (I forget which one) it should shut them off.

Or like most stupid GM stuff you gotta reprogram it to do so.

MX300ex
12-09-2010, 07:34 PM
i have no idea if it works but with my tundra i hit the lock button the remote twice and they go out. on my 03 they turned off when i opened the door by my 10 will shut off with the button or shut off after a minute.. just somethign to try i guess

Sjorge450R
12-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by MX300ex
i have no idea if it works but with my tundra i hit the lock button the remote twice and they go out. on my 03 they turned off when i opened the door by my 10 will shut off with the button or shut off after a minute.. just somethign to try i guess

i'll give it shot tomorrow night. Never thought about that. I usually just use the locks on the door so it doesnt honk th horn

wilkin250r
12-10-2010, 10:13 AM
This may be a stupid suggestion, but sometimes the dumb/easiest answers are the best solutions.

My wife's car does this, but if I turn off the lights BEFORE I turn the car off, they go off. Or, if I turn the lights on and off again, they'll go off the second time.

Sjorge450R
12-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
This may be a stupid suggestion, but sometimes the dumb/easiest answers are the best solutions.

My wife's car does this, but if I turn off the lights BEFORE I turn the car off, they go off. Or, if I turn the lights on and off again, they'll go off the second time.

No, it doesnt work for me like that. I actually dont even use the light switch. I just let the lights come on automatically when the sensor turns them on.

CJM
12-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
No, it doesnt work for me like that. I actually dont even use the light switch. I just let the lights come on automatically when the sensor turns them on.

Yea, if you turn the knob to the off setting it will shut them off. Auto setting will let them stay on. Try it.

honda400ex2003
12-10-2010, 07:16 PM
possibly putting your ebrake on will get them off faster or kill them right away. some of them are like that with running lights that are always on. lol good luck. steve