PDA

View Full Version : Shift pi replacement??Help!!

socal
12-08-2010, 10:15 PM
A friend if mine had his sprocket nut back out and it broke his counter shaft on his CT 330 motor.Obviously he has to split the cases to replace it.Is this something that can be done in a home garage with a few half drunk/half mechanically inclined guys?When splitting cases,is there anything in danger of just falling out where we would have no clue where it goes?If anyone has experience splitting cases or doing this particular project,any info would help,Thanks...

wilkin250r
12-09-2010, 07:53 AM
It's not too terribly difficult, and you'll obviously have a manual with you. For the first time, organization is a big factor in making it easy, and having the right tools.

Buy a box of big ziploc baggies (like 1 gallon size), and organize all your bits and pieces in categories. For example, I'll put all the clutch components, nut, bolts, everything into one baggie. Another for the stator side, another for the kickstarter gears/spring/ect. You get the idea. It makes it really easy to keep track of all your nuts and bolts that way.

A lot of people split the cases without a special case-splitting tool. It can be done, but Tusk sells one for like $60, so I suggest getting one.

There's nothing in the cases that's "spring loaded", so pulling it apart is fairly straight-forward after you get everything else off. And there isn't anything in there that we can't tell you how to put back together.

socal
12-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Thanks!Is the shift pin something that is a pretty easy straight foreward swap,or is there alot to be removed to get to it?It is our hope,split cases,remove broken pin,install new one and proceed to put cases back together!Ya right ha?

wilkin250r
12-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Well, let's get our terminology straight. By "shift pin", do you mean the shaft that the gearshift lever attaches to?

If so, and if my memory serve me correctly, you don't actually need to split the cases for that one. You need to remove the clutch-side cover, remove the clutch, a few shift components, and that shaft slides out from the clutch side. No splitting the tranny apart, no need to deal with case-splitting tools, pulling/pressing the crank in place, none of that.

If it's something else, I'll need to know exactly what you're talking about in order to give you details.

socal
12-09-2010, 07:45 PM
My bad,its the countershaft that the sprocket attaches!

DnB_racing
12-10-2010, 10:14 AM
while its apart do your bearings and seals and gaskets, check all components for wear and factory specs, it will only take a little longer to do it, and is something that should be done every time you split cases

wilkin250r
12-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Just the bearings, seals, and gaskets is going to run you a couple hundred. Add another hundred plus for the tools you'll need (case splitter, crank install tool, possibly clutch holder), and the cost of the countershaft (which is no longer available, so you're probably looking at buying a complete used transmission set on ebay), you might be better off buying another bottom end from a reliable source.

I'll help you and give you pointers for disassembly, if you decide to go that route.

socal
12-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks,yes he already purchased the parts he needs last year.I want to help him get this going because I just bought a Laegers CRF and hes a good riding partner.What would be a good estimate on time for this job?Obviously we want to take our time!