PDA

View Full Version : Please Read, could save your life

DoubleDad
12-08-2010, 06:00 PM
I read this information a few days ago, I don't remember exactly where or I would post the entire article as it was much more detailed. But the basic message was, if you intend on welding something don't use brake parts cleaner to clean the equipment. Even the residue left from the cleaner when heated to a gas is extremely toxic and if even a very small amount is inhaled you could die. The man who wrote the article had this happen to him and he explained how his internal organs started to shut down and he almost died. He said he normally used carb cleaner but didn't have any at the time so he used the brake cleaner. Like I said the article was much more detailed and if I find it I will post it later.

Article found by Coley'sdad, scroll down and click on link.

Hetrick Racing
12-09-2010, 07:08 AM
WOW
crazy

Good post though

Coley'sdad#8
12-09-2010, 07:55 AM
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm IT DON'T PLAY AROUND!!!!!! THIS IS WW1 STUFF, PHOSGENE GAS
IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH WELDING PROCEDURES , CLEANING, PREPPING, EQUIPMENT MAINT AND WELDING DIFFERENT MATERIALS THEN YOU NEED TO CHECK IT OUT EACH TIME YOU DO SOMETHING EVEN SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT. PLENTY OF DANGEROUS STUFF BEING AN IRONWORKER I HAVE SEEN, TOP KNOCKLED OFF NEW OXYGEN BOTTLE PINBALLED THROUGH BUILDING AND BUSTED THROUGH BLOCK WALL TO THE OUTSIDE AND THEN 1/2 BLOCK AWAY. 1 DROP OF OIL IN YOUR OXY / ACET REGULATOR CAN BLOW IT SKY HIGH SO DON'T OIL THOSE SQUEAKY T VALVES, THIS STUFF IS SOOOO BAD IT WILL KILL YOU 3 TIMES.

DoubleDad
12-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm IT DON'T PLAY AROUND!!!!!! THIS IS WW1 STUFF, PHOSGENE GAS
IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH WELDING PROCEDURES , CLEANING, PREPPING, EQUIPMENT MAINT AND WELDING DIFFERENT MATERIALS THEN YOU NEED TO CHECK IT OUT EACH TIME YOU DO SOMETHING EVEN SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT. PLENTY OF DANGEROUS STUFF BEING AN IRONWORKER I HAVE SEEN, TOP KNOCKLED OFF NEW OXYGEN BOTTLE PINBALLED THROUGH BUILDING AND BUSTED THROUGH BLOCK WALL TO THE OUTSIDE AND THEN 1/2 BLOCK AWAY. 1 DROP OF OIL IN YOUR OXY / ACET REGULATOR CAN BLOW IT SKY HIGH SO DON'T OIL THOSE SQUEAKY T VALVES, THIS STUFF IS SOOOO BAD IT WILL KILL YOU 3 TIMES.

This is the article I read, thanks for posting it.

Coley'sdad#8
12-09-2010, 10:01 AM
www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/gas-welding.html

I remembered this one also: "Top 10 welding mistakes that can kill your ***"

Coley'sdad#8
12-09-2010, 10:25 AM
weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=36485

Do I have your attention now about welding safety???????

Well wanna take a look at what happened to a Plumbers service van after he had a slight leak in an acetylene tank and then came out and hit the remote ELECTRONIC door locks. Take a minute and look at the fine details of the pic's like how wide and flat a minivan can get.

Hetrick Racing
12-09-2010, 11:22 AM
My dad was a steel crew worker he welded tanks and such all his life.
He made it really easy.
He said you dont prep with anything but a grinder or polisher and you will be safe.
Those are words I live by.

Thats why I said WOW

leager-n-ky
12-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks for this info..

CJM
12-09-2010, 06:00 PM
FYI this applies to chlorinated brake kleen, which most places do not stock or use anymore for this very reason.

Coley'sdad#8
12-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Don't get everyone in their comfortable seat yet,
all of the newer versions CRC, NAPA and GUNK all contain
Tetrachloroethylene which when combusted produce = Hydrogen Chloride and you guessed it PHOSGENE a hint is the chloro part:rolleyes:

Ride1Rob
12-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm PLENTY OF DANGEROUS STUFF BEING AN IRONWORKER I HAVE SEEN, TOP KNOCKLED OFF NEW OXYGEN BOTTLE PINBALLED THROUGH BUILDING AND BUSTED THROUGH BLOCK WALL TO THE OUTSIDE AND THEN 1/2 BLOCK AWAY. 1 DROP OF OIL IN YOUR OXY / ACET REGULATOR CAN BLOW IT SKY HIGH SO DON'T OIL THOSE SQUEAKY T VALVES, THIS STUFF IS SOOOO BAD IT WILL KILL YOU 3 TIMES.

Damn !!! That's why I ain't weldin' JACK!!! I don't wanna die the one time I know I have to.... 3 TIMES:eek2: lol

Coley'sdad#8
12-10-2010, 08:30 AM
You don't need to get sick, somebody's gotta be around to give James Stewart speeding tic's:eek2:

Like Rich said keep it dry, we dont use any chemical to pre-clean any of our welds , grinder, wire wheels , flappy disc's or if there is a little nasty on the surface you can do a preheat with a torch that will usually burn off all impurities.