PDA

View Full Version : Installing New Exhaust Studs...

AtvKid4Eva
12-08-2010, 05:30 PM
hey guys when we went to install my brothers new HMF on his 400ex we went to remove the exhaust stud nuts and they were so rusted to the bolt that the whole stud came out and the nuts will not come off the stud(tried heating them) so were just gonna replace them..what techinques do you guys use to tighten the stud into the cylinder so that you dont damage the threads on the stud?

PaRedneckRiders
12-08-2010, 05:34 PM
This is a real PITA

I used a small pair of vise grips with a rag rapped around the end of them.

It worked but did not go in all the way, it sticks out like a 1/8in farther than the others, i never had problems with it but im sure there is a special tool or something to do it.

Scro
12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Take two nuts and tighten them against each other, on the end of the stud that doesn't go in the head. When you do this, it allows you to use a wrench to tighten it in the head.

CJM
12-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Take two nuts and tighten them against each other, on the end of the stud that doesn't go in the head. When you do this, it allows you to use a wrench to tighten it in the head.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Just make sure that the nuts come off when your done, it can be a pita.

AtvKid4Eva
12-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys. Putting the two nuts at the end of the stud makes mote sense than putting then towards the middle haha cuz then one dosent come back off lol. Thanks again

rubbersdown
12-08-2010, 07:48 PM
They make a special socket to do it too but the 2 nuts together thing works pretty well if your not doing it all the time. Tools only like $30 for a kit usually, if your going to do it more then once its not a bad tool to add to your collection.

PaRedneckRiders
12-09-2010, 04:33 AM
I cant believe i didn't think of that, guess ill have to fix it now haha.