PDA

View Full Version : Kids On Quads Lt Suspension Review

airmobile101
12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
I am offically done with this build with the exception of a few minor things that I won't go into detail and bore you with.

When I first started shopping around for a kit, I called or emailed plenty of TRX90 builders for suspension. Talked to Tom @ ATV4PLAY, Tom @ KOQ and Dion @ Fincher/Pro Fab. All of them were very helpful. But as a racer myself, few of those kits were out of my reach in price. Kinda hard to build a race mini when your constantly dumping money in your own race quad. And that Diamond J kit was out of the question! So, I decided to try the KOQ kit. It didn't require a new steering stem and I can purchase the kit in pieces, so that alone was a big PLUS with me.

Anyways, my son rode this thing for about 2 weeks every single day before I tore it down again to install the 114cc kit and have the frame powdered. This is my thoughts on it so far.

We had issues installing the lower a-arms into the pockets,but a ratchet strap resolved that issue. Once I got everything lined up and tightened, everything came together pretty nice. I'm still convinced there is some binding,but it is very minimal, and that is more than likely caused by our longer than required front shocks.

Bike handles good. Just had to re-adjust the frontend once after a good hour of riding it. Bumpsteer is at a minimal that I can notice at least. Son hasn't complained yet.

Swingarm went on alot easier with little mods. I originally had issues with sprocket lining up,but that was my stupidity. Call to Tom got that lined out.One thing I didn't care for was the master cylinder mounting bracket. To this day, I still have no idea how that dang thing mounts!:D

All in all, for what I spent. I'm happy, my son is happy, so I guess that is all that matters:)

Thanks Tom.

airmobile101
12-08-2010, 11:16 AM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/TimmyRuark/001-18.jpg

airmobile101
12-08-2010, 11:17 AM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/TimmyRuark/003-16.jpg

airmobile101
12-08-2010, 11:26 AM
List of parts:

Engine:114cc DRATV cylinder, TB piston with TBQ cam. Keihin PC 22mm carb w/port matched stock head. Stock cdi w/ Bando high output coil.

Suspension: KOQ A-ARMS, KOQ swingarm, Fox Podium shocks.

Braking: 450r front and rear brakes, 450r front brake master cylinder, CR125 rear brake cylinder.

Drive: Rebel gears sprockets, 400ex axle, 400ex LSR twin row carrier, Blingstar 450R rotor guard. Burrows sprocket guard

xcracer01
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Looks good . My kid would love that one.

trompen542
12-09-2010, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by airmobile101
[B]I am offically done with this build with the exception of a few minor things that I won't go into detail and bore you with.

When I first started shopping around for a kit, I called or emailed plenty of TRX90 builders for suspension. Talked to Tom @ ATV4PLAY, Tom @ KOQ and Dion @ Fincher/Pro Fab. All of them were very helpful. But as a racer myself, few of those kits were out of my reach in price. Kinda hard to build a race mini when your constantly dumping money in your own race quad. And that Diamond J kit was out of the question! So, I decided to try the KOQ kit. It didn't require a new steering stem and I can purchase the kit in pieces, so that alone was a big PLUS with me.

Anyways, my son rode this thing for about 2 weeks every single day before I tore it down again to install the 114cc kit and have the frame powdered. This is my thoughts on it so far.

We had issues installing the lower a-arms into the pockets,but a ratchet strap resolved that issue. Once I got everything lined up and tightened, everything came together pretty nice. I'm still convinced there is some binding,but it is very minimal, and that is more than likely caused by our longer than required front shocks.

Bike handles good. Just had to re-adjust the frontend once after a good hour of riding it. Bumpsteer is at a minimal that I can notice at least. Son hasn't complained yet.

Swingarm went on alot easier with little mods. I originally had issues with sprocket lining up,but that was my stupidity. Call to Tom got that lined out.One thing I didn't care for was the master cylinder mounting bracket. To this day, I still have no idea how that dang thing mounts!:D

All in all, for what I spent. I'm happy, my son is happy, so I guess that is all that matters:)

You are welcome, I hope he has fun with it, and I like the color choice
Tom @ KIDS ON QUADS

airmobile101
12-09-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm gonna attempt to have some Red Bull graphics made for this. That will top it off!:D

rhinorick
12-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Glad you had good luck with yours my a-arms bind up so bad half the time the shocks won't let it come back up. The rear end works great. I got my sons stuff a few years back they may have made them a bit better now. But my upper a-arms are to short the himes are all the way out so the better my son get's the less safe I fell it is I'm just about to pull his off now and get him a new set. Like they say buy cheep buy twice

Latemodel32
12-12-2010, 10:45 AM
As the saying goes you get what you pay for

rhinorick
12-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Latemodel32
As the saying goes you get what you pay for

X2 :) its just to bad some people won't say. What they realy have. I was just thinking I was going 2 be buying a name with some of the other guys stuff but I was wrong now the 100 so so I saved is really not a savening at all. That tom was very very nice on the phone but the set I got is junk

airmobile101
12-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I understand the concern for the bind. You can install Z400 spindles and hubs on there. That will let that lower a-arm drop down more and raiser the upper a tad bit.
I myself will go this route once the weather warms up again since we run a longer than required front shock.

I personally rode it multiple times and found the bind to be minimal with me riding it. And I wasn't easy on it either:D

I honestly think its a decent setup for XC racing minus the Helm joints. The front end sets at 42" wide with 3/2 offset wheels which is good. I can take it under 40" with 04-05 450r spindles/hubs and 4/1 offset front wheels.

Is this the best a-arm combo? Once again.... probably not,but for the racing we do, I think it will work good.

We also decided on this kit since I seen it first hand at our series along with ATV4PLAY and Pro Fab setup. Both those setups were nice as hell. Just one problem. Those kits were wide! Thats great if you moto,but its the worse enemy of a XC racer.

rhinorick
12-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I used 400 ex hubs and if I stand on bumper then get off it it stays down may come up a inch then if I pull on bumper it comes back up 6 inches or so and when I turn the bars it feels like I have a dampner on it they may have up graded them sence I got mine.I only have 1 or 2 threeds on my top arm or they bind up a lot worse

trompen542
12-15-2010, 08:56 AM
rhinorick, give me a call at the shop, I can help you get through the bind issue
thanks Tom @ KIDS ON QUADS RACING

miniquaddad90
12-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Figured I would throw in my $.02 here....
We have used the full KOQ set up for 3 years now. The 1st season and a half we ran 13" Elka shocks up front, ZERO binding! Then picked up a pair of 14" Elkas that were built for the KOQ package. With the 14" shock were experianced some bind up front but buy loosing some neg. camber we were able to get around the bind. I personally dont care for the way that we have to run with basically square camber settings with the 14" shocks. The facts here are:

*For XC it's a great set-up
*Not too wide but not too narrow
*Even better if you run a 13-13.5" shocks
*The rear set up is great, hacve had ZERO issues with it
*Cheaper in price than some of the others but for a true Harescramble or tight woods racer you'll never make it between the trees with the other "kits" out there
*The product is extremely strong even with the lower heim joints, my daughter has hit a few trees, stumps, and rocks while racing and only once did it acutally bend an a-arm, which by the way we sent back to Tom and he repaired the arm for what I felt was a very fair price.
*Tom is there for you and generally has parts in stock, some others make you wait 2-4 weeks for a "kit" or parts to be built

If you race GNCC, GNC, or flat track maybe some of the other "kits" are for you.... 47-50" wide... :eek:

not trying to hijack the thread but look close they do work well if set up right...

miniquaddad90
12-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Sorry... cant help it

airmobile101
12-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Still love those pics!

airmobile101
03-21-2011, 11:14 PM
A little update.......... We have since upgraded the frontend to a 03-04 LTZ400 front spindles, hubs, and brakes this past week. Now with that being said, the 03-04 LTZ400 spindles allowed us to use the Fox Float shocks that are 14.5" without as near as much bind as before since the upper and lower a-arm mounts on the LTZ400 spindle are wider on a LTZ400 than a 450R spindle. Keep this in mind also, the kit requires 14" shock, so we broke the rules a little to make it work for us.

Now, we got a pleasant bonus with this install. We added some 3/2 Hiper Tech 3 front wheels with new Kenda Kutter tires also. And when it was all done and said, we got the original frontend narrowed from 42" to 40.75" !!!! Thats awesome for woods racers !:D

I honestly think I can remove all the bind from the larger shocks being used, but it would require me to remove the lower a-arms and adjust them. And Im not about to screw with that ! People that own this kit knows exactly what Im talking about!:devil:

scanno
05-07-2011, 08:41 AM
what rear shock was everyone using with the koq swingarm setup? is it similar to a 300ex shock?

miniquaddad90
05-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by scanno
what rear shock was everyone using with the koq swingarm setup? is it similar to a 300ex shock?

300Ex wont work, too wide at upper mount. We use a Elka that is made for the KOQ swinger, off the top of the head 14" long, dont quote me on that...

trompen542
05-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Elka, Motowoz, and fox make shocks for our kits, but i have seen many combos for them. We have even used the whole elka 300ex set front and rear, and modified the rear spacers to fit for an adult rider. it had about 12 inches of wheel travel, so for a youth rider it was a bit of overkill. Feel free to call me at the shop if you have any questions, I am always willing to help out in any way.
Tom @ kids on quads. 616-363-1215

scotturban
05-12-2011, 09:04 PM
such a nice looking mini

scanno
05-25-2011, 04:16 PM
will someone please post a pic or email me a pic of the rear master cylinder installed, please thanks scannon111@yahoo.com

miniquaddad90
05-25-2011, 05:54 PM
will someone please post a pic or email me a pic of the rear master cylinder installed, please thanks scannon111@yahoo.com

I'll see if I still have a pic of the hokey bracket set up. Not sure bout the others but we just welded some tabs and ditched the KOQ master cylinder brackets.

scanno
05-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Does everyone run crf 250/450 rear master cylinder to get a self contained cylinder

miniquaddad90
05-26-2011, 06:04 AM
Does everyone run crf 250/450 rear master cylinder to get a self contained cylinder

We have used a CR125 master cylinder but went to a TRX450R master with a 400ex hose and res

airmobile101
05-27-2011, 11:27 AM
40 dollars shipped and its yours.

airmobile101
05-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Yea, to this day, I have no idea how its suppose to mount up with the provided brackets. I just fabbed my own bracket.

trompen542
05-27-2011, 01:26 PM
there are pictures on our website, under miniquad products