Looking for the best quad for trails and track. I

d1g888
12-07-2010, 09:03 PM
how old is your kid

Stan Digby
ITP Factory Support

Logan #34's Dad
12-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Well, if you want a trail AND track quad then the Pitster Pro is what your looking for. IMO

cdiel
12-08-2010, 05:56 AM
He is 8. He has a DRR and he gets around great on the track but it doesn't seem to have enough low end for tight trails. I would like to get him a 4stroke 90 but he wants to stay in the 50 class because he just started racing this past summer. It's a real head scratcher.

zach R 7x
12-08-2010, 07:46 AM
You definately have a dilemma there. We went through this same thing 6 years ago when we started racing. The drr is not a good trail quad at all, especially in stock form. The Pister is a good woods quad but they do not make a 50 and no 50cc 4 stroker would run with a 50cc 2 stroke on any track. The Pisters are all shifters also.
You could do some modding of the clutchs ang get more bottom end on your drr, but reliability for trail riding will be limited.
I know apex has a woods quad set up and maybe a decent quad on a mx track but at the end of the day it is still a cvt quad and to me trail riding and these cvt 's should not be mentioned in the same sentence.
This is a biggest reason that we bought the Pister, now we can go hit any trails and race mx and not worry about belts,rollers, air filters that hang out by the front tire,etc...

I love racing and so does my son but the HRS we have on the trails is way more rewarding than a 10 minute race.

GOOD LUCK !!

kfx450
12-08-2010, 08:47 AM
we run hare scramble in the 50 class. You son being 8 he might be getting a litle big for the 50 power. We run a stage 6 set up that works very good as a bolt on. may give you the extra you need. We ride alot of big hills. send me a pm and I can help on clutch set up.

fomospede
12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
we also ran a 50 in xc
and are also using s6 components and it has been ok
cluthing is the trick and getting rid of the heat inside the cover vent it and blue print the bell

Ride1Rob
12-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I like the Pitster and the Raptor 125 in that order. The motors are tame enough in stock trim where it won't be too much for him. And he's not getting any younger/smaller so he can grow into the bikes and ride them for another few years. Just my .02

airmobile101
12-08-2010, 12:09 PM
I would just ride it out on the 50cc until he can race a 90.

coffing918
12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
we also used our drr for the 50 cc class XC racing it was just fine, but there were not many huge hills!!!

cdiel
12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
been thinking about a can am but heard they are not overly blessed with power. how big is the pitster compared to drr, apex and honda 90? which is a better quad between apex and drr?

Ride1Rob
12-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by cdiel
how big is the pitster compared to drr, apex and honda 90?

My honest opinion I think the Can Am would be a waste of money. Would surely be a waste if you were going to race it. All the other mentioned minis are very good machines. If you were only going to race the cvt's are a very good starting point. But they are more to maintain and once you start modding trail riding would be difficult from what I understand. You could purchase another engine and switch back and forth between your trail riding and racing and that would solve that problem. But the power between those two motors will be very noticeable and the stock engine may just bore the hell out of your son.

We run a 4stroke engine and we race and trail ride when we can. I have a huge Orange Grove behind my home and Jam and I ride back there quite a bit on top of racing 2 local race series. Over 50 motos, trail riding time, and practice time this year and not one dnf due to an engine issue. With that being said that's the success that we've had. The only thing I've done this year is a couple topend rebuilds and a few clutch changes.

Here are a few specs on the Pitster:
Curb Weight: 215lbs
Fuel Capacity: 3 L
Ground Clearance: 8"
Overall Length: 60"
Overall Width: 45"
Seat Height: 29"
Wheelbase: 43"

Here are a few specs on the Raptor 125:
Length: 63.4
Width: 40.0
Seat Height: 28.1 in
Wheelbase: 43.7 in
Ground Clearance: 3.3 in
Fuel Capacity: 2.4 gal
Wet Weight: 299 lb

heathmxracing
12-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Sounds like you need two quads? Find a junker to trail ride and mod the DRR for MX. You should be able to find a decent Honda TRX 90 reasonable that would be a great low mainteance tail bike.

Trying to have a quad that is good for both racing and trails is like having a sports car to take off road or using your 4 X 4 truck for racing.

selbygirl
12-10-2010, 07:13 PM
like heath racing sed we have 2 drr's one is for racing and the other is a pratice/ backup spare parts trail quad but set up the same less hp's in motor end i keep the gearing low you dont need much top end for trails

hwf-racing
12-11-2010, 09:20 AM
I would stay away from the Can-Am & Polaris 90s. They are junk! We had the Polaris Outlaw 90 nothing but trouble. Got the boy a Raptor 250 at 8 yrs old. Noe he knows how to shift and grows into the quad. Furthermore, what Ride1Rob says, the Pitster 125 0r the Raptor 125. Good luck.

redonkulousruntsracing
12-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Apex 90 GNCC editon is a proven woods performer, but I'm in agreement with the Pitster, if you aren't looking to go too fast the Pitster 90 is a semi automatic and is electric start. Your son could drop into 1st, gas it and go. If using a clutch to get moving isn't an issue then the Pitster 125 is the way to go.