PDA

View Full Version : 06 starting issues

Phills450r
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Ive got an 06 450 and it has a high compression piston with a hotcam and full exhaust and for some reason this bike takes a while to crank and when it gets warm. even when the bike is warm. and if you tap the throttle sometimes it will stop turning over and you have to try again. do i need a new starter? if so can i get anything that is stronger then the factory one? if not what else could it be?

310ESR
12-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Are the safety system still hooked up?

dyno
12-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Hotcam and HC piston has too much cranking compression with factory decompression clearance! Set to .018 total at TDC!

Also check battery by hooking charger while cranking.

DnB_racing
12-08-2010, 12:26 PM
the thing I did was to set my decompression to 55psi instead of using the feeler gauge, and haven't had any problems since!!!!the actual decompressor setting ended up at .23mm or around .009 in, give the compression method a try and see if it helps your situation,
when mine was at factory spec (.010 in ) my compression was to high for the starter to work it was at 62 psi

mbjorn1974
12-27-2010, 10:53 PM
i had the same proplem, a good friend told me the valves clearence is off so he adjusted the vales one hit or turn over and it starts

DnB_racing
12-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Phills450r
Ive got an 06 450 and it has a high compression piston with a hotcam and full exhaust and for some reason this bike takes a while to crank and when it gets warm. even when the bike is warm. and if you tap the throttle sometimes it will stop turning over and you have to try again. do i need a new starter? if so can i get anything that is stronger then the factory one? if not what else could it be? DONT EVER TOUCH THROTTLE WHILE CRANKING!!!!! its not the starter that's the problem the battery has more to do with how it cranks!! I've got 24v on my starter and its strong enough to start in gear with clutch out!!! the starter motor is stronger then you think!!