PDA

View Full Version : flipping the front tires and a extended rear hub?

backwoods 400ex
12-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi i have a 2006 400ex and i want to make it wider i was wondering what yo guys thought of a extended rear hub(from rocky mounatin atv) and flipping the front tires....i was just wondering will this work good? and will i break alot of stuff???? i ice race and some motocross and alot of trails

rooster300ex
12-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Maybe if u ice race and thats it. Don't flip your front rims. Just save up money for some a-arms,shocks and extended axle. Them extended rear hubs may be fine.

Scro
12-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
Maybe if u ice race and thats it. Don't flip your front rims. Just save up money for some a-arms,shocks and extended axle. Them extended rear hubs may be fine.

There's several reasons why you shouldn't flip your rims. It talks about it in great detail in the sticky of the steering and suspension section. In short, it causes more stress on your hub bearings, increases the amount of feedback you get in the bars, and your brake calipers and rotors will be more prone to damage (since they will be outside the wheel, instead of inside.)

For ice racing and casual trail riding, I don't think the rear extended hubs would be that bad. But I wouldn't use them for any kind of jumping.

CJM
12-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Theres a reason why pros dont use spacers.

Get a g-force extended axle and do some +2 a-arms up front. Might be $$$ but the handling will be like night and day.

fearlessfred
12-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Theres a reason why pros dont use spacers.

Get a g-force extended axle and do some +2 a-arms up front. Might be $$$ but the handling will be like night and day. x2

duroc825
12-07-2010, 05:25 PM
As far as flipping the front rims, I believe the valve stem will not clear brakes. Start screwin with the geometry and you won't be happy. Save up and get some extended a-arms.

jensenracing77
12-07-2010, 05:33 PM
X2 on all the above.

whc
12-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I have a set of rocky mt. extended hubs, they have held up fine for three years of riding, I won quite a few hare scrambles races, using them and have run quite a few laps on mx tracks with no problems. I have gone back to stock to narrow up the quad for hs racing, I would like a set 1 inch wider as a compromise. Bill