PDA

View Full Version : CarFax

derekhonda
12-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Anyone have one of the free accounts? I am looking at a car, found out it has a rebuilt title, but he claims it is just from somone spilling a can of paint inside the car. Wanted to double check his word. . .

Will have vin # tonight.

Thumpin440ex
12-07-2010, 12:02 PM
This is always a funny question.. I look at it this way, low ball the guy some for this very reason of the strange title.. If you like the car, it suits and meets your satisfaction go for it.. If you plan to drive it, thats one thing. But if your looking to flip it then car facts could play a bigger roll.. See what I am saying.. If you like buy it.. :D I know plenty of people that have been in wrecks, never sent it to insurance, so car facts wouldn't do any good, as they would read clear...

John

THARNESS
12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
There is no way a car was issued a rebuilt or salvaged title because someone spilled paint in it. This guy is playing you for a fool. Also, there are no "free" carfax accts. Those commercials they do are bogus. They charge the dealers for it.

Buyer Beware!!!!!!

derekhonda
12-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by THARNESS
There is no way a car was issued a rebuilt or salvaged title because someone spilled paint in it. This guy is playing you for a fool. Also, there are no "free" carfax accts. Those commercials they do are bogus. They charge the dealers for it.

Buyer Beware!!!!!!

Thats why I wanted to check it out.

He said he bought it with 2100 miles on it, a rebuilt title, and paint on the interior.

Said guy before him must have had it vandalized to some degree, insurance bought him a brand new one because it was so close to new, and then he stumbled into this one.

I dunno if thats true or not, thats why i wanted to check.

I thought there were unlimited car fax reports out there, where its like a subscription and you can run 10 or you can run 50, doesn't matter still all the same cost.

THARNESS
12-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Now if it was severly vandalized it is possible that it may have been totaled but it would have to be a huge $ amount for an insurance company to buy the car from him instead of just fixing it. It would be way more that just spilling paint on the interior.

Your right about the subscriptions to carfax. They have different levels but none are free. I think Carfax will charge you $39 if you go to thier site and pull one yourself. Just be carefull, if it's a 2100 mile car with a rebuilt title it needs to be bought much cheaper that one with a good title. Around 30-40% less. Most manufactures warrenties are also void on salvage titles so be careful.

CJM
12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
I wouldnt trust the guy, a brand new car they wouldnt total out and give the guy a new one if it was vandalized.

Carfax is ok, they used to have unlimited reports but now its like 5 or so for 40 bucks for 3 months.

I wouldnt buy a car like that tho, paint spilled on the interior..thats a line of bull if I ever heard one. If your really interested in it look over it very carefully and look at the body, the paint, inside door jambs and the hood, etc and i bet you find it was in a major accident and somethings redone.

Not to take away from your story, but carfax isnt always right either. I once looked at an F150 and carfax said nada about it. I look it over and notice it was probably a work truck and I coulda repaired the holes in the bed rail and the torn seat-but then I lifted up the hood and noticed something interesting one of the corners of the body subframe was an off color, very hard to see but it was definitely a primer gray color that had been poorly covered in the red paint the truck was. Then also noticed the grill under the hood was flaking off the chrome paint too.. What did that tell me? That it was in a frontend collision at some point and I walked away-woulda walked even if the price was good.

Pappy
12-08-2010, 03:43 AM
I was looking at a truck yesterday and they ran a carfax on my car...showed nothing.......even though it had a $4600 run in with a black bear!

CJM
12-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
I was looking at a truck yesterday and they ran a carfax on my car...showed nothing.......even though it had a $4600 run in with a black bear!

Exactly, carfax isnt the end all. It doesnt show my dads old buick as being nearly totaled after he t-boned a trash truck that ran a read light either..

firefighterjosh
12-08-2010, 10:32 AM
The other thing I hate about it is it shows the wrecks as terrible.

I got $7k worth of damage done to my ranger. I was sitting at a stop light and got hit head on but a f250!

Bent the bumper, grill, headlights, hood, fenders, airbags (almost $3k!) ect. No frame damaged.

Dove it 2 more years with no issues.

Go to trade it in and they wanted to give me $4k trade because it showed it was in a head on collision. It didn't say how bad.