PDA

View Full Version : VM26 on a Pister??

zach R 7x
12-07-2010, 07:50 AM
I am the proud owner of a new vm26 carb! I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea what to start the jetting at. Our quad is a 125 and is all stock. Temps in Ohio right now are in the high 20's and is snowing everyday! Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tim

T@AFP
12-07-2010, 12:11 PM
I can't for sure remember but I think.
155 main
35-40 pilot.

Also,
I talked to Jason Tom last night. He just got his Pitster last night. Wyatt is excited as hell.
He came over a couple weekends ago and rode Kaity's Pitster and Hunters mod. He caught on right away. When he first got here he could barely shift it. Within an hour of riding with Hunter on the track and out in the fields he was hitting the double double rythm sections and hitting some bigger doubles. He wasn't too keen on the 70cc 2 stroke thing though.

zach R 7x
12-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks Tom, I was hoping you could advise me, I was actually getting ready to text you. Going to install tonight ,if I don't have to go out and plow snow !

I know what that excitement is like Zach was driving me crazy to ride his Pister. After he rode it at ram jams the luster had wore off, he hates the suspension and it wasn't running the best,so it discouraged him alittle. Hopefully that changes soon ! ;)

Is Jason staying with the 4 stroker or doing your full mod 70?

T@AFP
12-07-2010, 02:46 PM
For now I think they are just going to change out the suspension with ours and Elka's and run the 4 stroke.

I just sent Kaity's motor out today to Fire Power too. Terry said after the Holiday's we should have it back.

zach R 7x
12-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Thats cool, sounds like we will have a good gang of riders on Pisters this summer.

When you get the motor back ,I would love to get together - maybe at Ram Jams or something to see the performance difference from stock. I think we are going to stick to the game plan and run the motor as is and just do suspension mods till summer. Can't afford to do both thru the winter.

Ride1Rob
12-08-2010, 08:43 AM
The built motor is gonna be NIGHT/DAY difference over the stock setup. Why not do it and send the shocks off to GTThunder and have them revalve/respring til you can add Toms suspension?

zach R 7x
12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Don't have any doubt that the engines will be night and day . If I give Zach power before suspension , he will end up in the hospital!

Plus even know the motor wasn't right, he never complained about power, just the pain in his lower back and the arm pump only rode for about 20 mins.) ,which he never got on his DRR. The stock suspension would be ok for most kids but Zach has had great suspensions under his cvt quads and is used to the plush landings.

Ride1Rob
12-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah, from what Gary was telling me the stock suspension was even too stiff for Christian and pogo'd quite a bit. Kinda why I was thinking a spring change or revalve would take care of that til you upgraded.

zach R 7x
12-09-2010, 06:13 AM
I gave revalving these shocks or my Elkas alot of thought ,they would be better but just could not see spending the money on revalving, when I will have to buy new shocks with the new suspension.
I have been through this before and always said if I had to do it over again , suspension would come first.

Ride1Rob
12-09-2010, 06:18 AM
;)

T@AFP
12-09-2010, 09:32 AM
I have a customer bring up his Pitster w/ stock Aarms and swinger on it w/ GT revalves. He's changing all that out w/ our stuff and Elka's. W/ a KTM 85 engine mod done.
I think he's probably kicking himself now for spending the $ on revalves now.

I have had revalves on my TRX450R, LTR450 and a hybrid CRF450R I built. I was never satisfied w/ stock revalves versus a true aftermarket race shock. Even though I did it 3x! I feel it's not worth the $. You may only spend $300.00-$500...initially. But....

Especially for MX. XC....kinda of a different story.

Disclaimer: IMO:devil:

zach R 7x
12-09-2010, 12:43 PM
$500??? That's almost half the way to a new set!! enough said!

Hey Tom talked to Jason last night, seems really excited but you forgot to tell him about the oil!!

I also talked to him about Terry and gave him the website.

Sounds like he has the same intentions as I do for this year.

Ride1Rob
12-09-2010, 12:50 PM
$500 for a revalve? :eek2: Yeah, I'd wait too lol

nordic quad
12-09-2010, 04:18 PM
The springs on the DNM shocks are a bit stiff.Our Access(DRR)came with DNM shockers.250 lbs springs on the fronts and 350 on the rear,and even on the softest settings i could not bottom them out standing on the front bumper.I am giving the shocks a last chance rebuilding the shocks with springs and parts i have in house and buying a pump(Check link).
Stein A

http://www.24mx.com/pitbike/p/pump-for-rear-shock/13325/suspension/k144/rear-suspension/s476/

greenmachine70
12-09-2010, 06:35 PM
We tested a set for DRR and my son was right at 100lbs
You need 160lb springs for the front and 250 for the rear.
that worked the best. ours came with the springs you mentioned but DRR sent us the replacements and they rocked!

zach R 7x
12-10-2010, 07:40 AM
The stock set that came on our Pister had 190 lbs springs. I am not a suspension expert by any means , all I know is this suspension does not have hardly any travel or sag in it.
I did install my elkas from my SMS suspension off the drr ( they are the same length) and was a little bit better but I don't think the geometry is right for them..... like I said not an expert.

From what I have seen, 4 Play's suspension is night and day over the stock equipment. Actually, you can't even compare them, it's that good!

Tom hit a home run with his set up.

nordic quad
12-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by greenmachine70
We tested a set for DRR and my son was right at 100lbs
You need 160lb springs for the front and 250 for the rear.
that worked the best. ours came with the springs you mentioned but DRR sent us the replacements and they rocked!

Nice!I think that is close to what we are working with.

We also have Elka set up on stock A arms on one of our Apexes.Would love to have a 4play setup but Sondre still dont need it to win so we are saving the money for our 250 class quad.
Stein A

Ride1Rob
12-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Tom is the man and his setups work like a charm. I've been convinced of mine for the last 3 years on my 450. I don't think it's anyone's intentions to try and compare the stock setup of the Pitster to Toms setup. But I was thinking you guys were gonna do somewhat of what Gary did this past season with Christian. A spring swap would have helped them quite a bit as it did Greenmachine.

nordic quad
12-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Tom is the man and his setups work like a charm. I've been convinced of mine for the last 3 years on my 450. I don't think it's anyone's intentions to try and compare the stock setup of the Pitster to Toms setup. But I was thinking you guys were gonna do somewhat of what Gary did this past season with Christian. A spring swap would have helped them quite a bit as it did Greenmachine.

You hit the nail Rob:D