PDA

View Full Version : Need new tires, what to get.

CJM
12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
So, I was happy (was being the key word here) with my rear kenda klaw XCR's till they got about 15 or so rides on them and whatever traction they had went downhill. Hardpack it slides WAY to much and the soft stuff I slipped so bad when WOT that I thought the clutch was going (driving in my yard confirms clutch is fine :) )

Anyways whats everyones opinion on the maxxis razr and razr 2?

Im running in a mix of loose sand and hardpack, woods and will probably go to PA and ride the rocks every so often as well as hatfield if I can get there this spring. Paddles are nice but I tried some the other day and they aint for me-talk about traction it made the quad wheelie and felt too bumpy on the harder packed areas.

I'm considering maxxis razrs or razr 2's for the rear? Im not so sure I want the 2's cause they seem to have a VERY tall tread pattern. Yea grip will be nice I guess but I think I might want the lower profile of the original razrs. I need to slide well, grip in straight line and climb some hills but nothing to insane.

I also need new fronts, any opinion about the razr 2 fronts? Steering would be nice since I clipped a tress yesterday around a turn.

You would be amazed at how fast I am going down trails with nearly bald fronts and kendas that either slide to much or lose traction in a straight line. I thought my clutch was going but its just the dang tires slipping. However its causing me to either havenear misses or hit stuff (I clipped a tree with the bars yesterday b/c it didnt turn to well)

So opinions? right now Im thinking the razr 2 front and razr rear? Gonna do 22 front and 20 rear? Opinions, thoughts, ideas are welcome.

honda400ex2003
12-06-2010, 08:27 PM
you know mine...

RAZRs FTW. great sliding characteristics and great wear. I have hundreds of miles of blacktop riding on mine with tread left still. they slide great but hook just as well. they go where you aim them and are still light.

the razr 2s would be alright but i like to stay away from the 6 ply stuff. they are heavier and will bite more which in some cases is good but it can be much worse when you want to slide it and it doesnt go.

razr 22x7 and 20s 4 ply for both. dennis kirk has both in 4 ply. rocky only has 22x7 in 6ply.

steve

bherriman
12-06-2010, 08:28 PM
You were so happy with the kendas..I was going to buy a pair.

I had razr 1's on my old 250r. They were junk, all they did was spin on all types of terrain. It was a higher horsepower machine, but I was very un-happy with them. The only good thing about them was after about a year of riding on them they were still at like 95% tread life.

hocman123
12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
i told u the kendas were no good after seeing u loose it in the corners time and time again u keep saying u were just going to fast but with a good set of tires u could have made it.

now i am really happy with my razr 1 they grip great for the trails and the mudd. I have been in 8 in of mudd for about 20 feet with them and had no problems. now in the sand they are ok they get me around but to get up some of the tall sand hills i need some good speed and a low gear and sometime i dont make it. but thats rare. all around i love my razr but plan on getting itp sand tires for the dunes and snow

CJM
12-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Yea funny the kendas worked good till I got a few rides on them and they just dont want to grip anymore. First like 5 rides were fine. On harder stuff (like those other trails we ride Tim they gripped much better). course the added power isnt helping im sure of that.

The kendas do work good on the more woodsy type trails imho, not softer stuff. I had bought them cause people claimed they would hill climb like paddles and were good all around-maybe for other areas but not here where its somewhat sandy/dirt/hardpack.

See, I tried the itp sand stars out one of the guys had bought. They had awesome traction but the front wanted to lift up like you wouldnt believe cause of it and on the harder packed trails they were BUMPY. You give it to much gas over a step up and your gonna be bailing. Maybe they are fine for others but not me.

Im still not sure what to run. I wasnt really happy after I tried the paddles really.

What else is there, ITP hole shots?

Have you ridden in sand/dunes with them yet steve-did you like them? Im kinda debating with the regular razr for my purposes, holeshot dont look to bad tho.

Damn decisions..

finsteratv
12-06-2010, 09:11 PM
turf tamers or somthing similar cut to be kinda like a paddle but still hook up in hard stuff? just an idea haha

honda400ex2003
12-06-2010, 09:12 PM
i havent got to ride any sort of dune type stuff with them. Just real sandy trails, they seemed to be good on that but i doubt they would be real good in deep sand. i would say anything over 3-4" would be pushing it for them. why not get something like http://www.atv-parts-accessories.com/dealers_parts/3_2645.jpg

they are supposed to be decent on trails and on the sand. or even some realtors if you want something that can be switched around easy enough. you will never get a mx style tire to run in sand as you want it to. priorities are the key. lol gotta sacrifice one to get another.

i would run stock tires before i ran holeshots of any type lol.

actually the stock ones are better in deeper snow than my razrs were. maybe that would be an option for you. they are decent for all conditions.

steve

hocman123
12-06-2010, 09:14 PM
o thats star trek i think they cost some major bucks

honda400ex2003
12-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
o thats star trek i think they cost some major bucks

no one said this sport was cheap :blah: :blah: :blah: steve

CJM
12-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Yea see sand is actually a sand pit and most of the good sand was removed and were down to the harder sand thats maybe 2-3 inches deep at best. They arent real dunes at all.

Most of the guys I noticed run I think regular razrs, and another guy runs holeshot HDs. I watched the guy with the holeshots follow my buddy riding along a wall of harder sand..

IDK. Buy one and take a chance. Maybe I can score a set used or something.

hocman123
12-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
no one said this sport was cheap :blah: :blah: :blah: steve

truer words were never spoken but i know his budget preddy well and they are way out of the ballpark

honda400ex2003
12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
lol i have to get some more in the spring also. lol I need 2 sets this time. I will however have some left overs also from my 400. im not sure how long it would be before i switch them out or i would just say you can have them. it may be a spare set though to go on my stock rims or at least the fronts anyway. the backs are 10" rims. lol steve

CJM
12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Dang, I need 9's :(

Im pretty sold on the razr right now.

honda400ex2003
12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
i only have 18s in a 9" lol they will stay on the stock rims. they are mx ones too :(

steve

CJM
12-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks man, just the way it goes.

Im still looking for opinions if anyone has any to offer.

Razr

Razr 2

or holeshot HD

Im gonna buy razr2 for the front tho, maybe ill get lucky and the fact im losing grip is the backs are doing ALL the work. The stockers are sooo worn out lol

CJM
12-07-2010, 10:41 AM
so no one has any more opinions on tires?

honda400ex2003
12-07-2010, 10:45 AM
:o :blah: :blah: :blah:

RAZR FTW again. Flipper may be in the past with some decent meats. lol steve

Nah... We will never let that slide under. :blah:

CJM
12-07-2010, 10:49 AM
:o :blah: :blah: :blah:

RAZR FTW again. Flipper may be in the past with some decent meats. lol steve

Nah... We will never let that slide under. :blah:

lol..

Im thinking doing razr 2 front and razr rear. But I def need fronts before next season they is shot.

honda400ex2003
12-07-2010, 10:50 AM
thats a good combo also! steve

chronicsmoke
12-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Im runnign HDs on the back and RZR IIs on the fron of my ex.. They bolted on from my 450r when I got the black beadlocks. They seem to be good for what youre looking for.. Really good for sand and mud.. The ONLY thing i didnt like was the sidewall makes it harder to slide.. But I only noticed that the arse end didnt want to slide when I was on the MX track. I could still roost banks and stuff with them, but I needed something to kick out very easily for the long corners.

But for all around stuff I loved mine.. Ive used RZR I's, RZR IIs and the HDs on the back of the ex and I like the RZR 1s and the HDs the best. The HDs lasted two years on the ex, and a full summer on the 450r before I switched them back to the 426 a couple of weeks ago.

CJM
12-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks chronicsmoke.

Soon as it nears closer to spring Im gonna order some razr2 or razr fronts and when I go riding Ill see how everything is. Then if I want some rears ill figure it out.

bherriman
12-07-2010, 03:35 PM
What about I- razr's? :devil:

CJM
12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by bherriman
What about I- razr's? :devil:

Depends, havent heard to much about them at all. Reading reviews on RM people are either liking them or saying they stink.

bherriman
12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Everyone I talk to says they are terrible lol. You guys all love razrs so much that, even though on my R I hated them, I just bought a set of 20x11x9 razr's mounted on ITP Baja 9x9 wheels. Even if they don't get the best traction, they will out last anything out there, so I thought I would give them a try one more time.

BTW motosport.com is a bit cheaper on their wheel/ tire combos ( not sure about just tires) also free shipping over $99 like RMATV.

CJM
12-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I know moto sport is cheaper which is nice, but the dont carry the stock like rims with the rolled edges. RMATV has ones they call geforce that are really nice.

Ill price it all out, I gotta do alot of work this winter so its just $$$. Now, I needs me a job..

I really think it depends on the terrain. When I was initially setting up my quad I was doing it for mostly woods riding on harder packed ground, softer stuff dont agree to well now.

bherriman
12-07-2010, 08:00 PM
http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/ROCK-ALUMINUM-REAR-WHEEL-9X8/?id=113609

These are pretty close to stock, can't tell if they are rolled edges though, might be welded.

jgar
12-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I have the 20" razr 1 on the rear. Its easy to get them to slide when you want to and the hook up well when you want to go. They also wear like iron. I had the hole shot xct, they were a good tire but wore out to fast.

CJM
12-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by bherriman
http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/ROCK-ALUMINUM-REAR-WHEEL-9X8/?id=113609

These are pretty close to stock, can't tell if they are rolled edges though, might be welded.

Those are nice, this is what Im talking about: G Force wheels (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/vehicleSelectProd.do?prevVehicleType=1&prevMake=4&prevModel=439&keyword=G+FORCE+WHEELS&vehicleTypeId=1&make=4&model=439&applyFilter=Change+Vehicle&year=2000&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&navType=type&webCatId=8&webTypeId=237&prodFamilyId=26039&stockId=&listingId=&uri=%2FproductDetail.do)

No complaints from anyone so far on them. Im willing to take a chance on them, they remind me of the douglass A5 alumilites I got on the rear that are superb-but $$$$ and they come in 4+1 or 3+2

bherriman
12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Yea, I think wheels are like any other aftermarket part, you pay for a certain name. I almost bought some black lables (What I have always used), but the itp baja look kinda neat and they change up the look I am so accustomed to with the DWT black lables.

CJM
12-07-2010, 08:56 PM
About the only tires I have seen that I would not use were some cheaper ITP's. The things bent so easily it wasnt even funny.

I prefer the rolled lip b/c its a poormans beadlock and protects the sidewalls quite well.

MtnEX
12-08-2010, 12:07 AM
You guys... keep me posted on the Gforce XC wheels...

As for rear tires it is hard to beat the Razr, HD, or Razr2. But I do want to try the new Kenda Kutters also.

Florida guys tell me they run the Razr2's or GBC X-Rex for an XC tire because they do well in sandy conditions to. But I don't have personal experience.

I never have been too impressed with the Kenda Klaw tread pattern. To me they look OK and folks seem to like them... and I have wanted to try them... but the small short knobs have kept me from it.

CJM
12-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Right now I have a set of GBC x-rex (basically razr2) in my basement that Im holding for a friends xmas gift to his gf.

I mean I like them, but if you saw how high the tread is andhow bulky they look along with how much they weighed you would think otherwise if you dont go to huge mud bogs or really rough trails everyday for riding. The knobs on them things gotta be at least a 1/2 in tall..

Thats kinda why I like the regular razr, much less bulky. For him and his gf (since they ordered 2 sets) they dont ride nearly as aggressive as I do either so they will probably be fine. I think Ill ask him to borrow one of the sets onetime when we go just to see how it is.

chronicsmoke
12-08-2010, 09:42 AM
I've never used/even saw those before, but I heard quite a few puncture/sidewall issues with them.. But then again, I bought a pair of brand new RZR 1s for my Scraptor 660 and took them out for a lap of my trail behind my cottage (like a GNCC track) and i got a HUGE hole (bigger than my thumb) in the sidewall. I had them mounted for only 5 minutes!

AND Maxxis said it was my fault and wouldnt warrenty.. (4ply) so i got a 6ply to replace the one I blew out. but the other 3 have been great.

funny Ive been through the exact same trail millions of times and never had a puncture before..

6ply are heavier, yes. But to the avid trail rider, they are worth it

CJM
12-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I always run 6 ply anyways, I have no idea why people even run 4ply unless your racing or in the dunes like pismo or such.

chronicsmoke
12-08-2010, 09:51 AM
haha me too, I always have until recently when I started getting into the MX scene. But I got the 4 Raptor tires for like 250 shipped brand new.. In Canada the dealer sells them for 90-120 per tire!! Ill never buy 4 play again for the trail bikes ive got though. Lesson learned; you get what you pay for.

400man
12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
if you want traction get these.........my brother on his banshee :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6tnLoVzG0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEiq9leyn00

MtnEX
12-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by 400man
if you want traction get these.........my brother on his banshee :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6tnLoVzG0Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEiq9leyn00

Razr Ballance?

Sign me up... been wanting to see some "actual" pics and things of these for a while.

My brother-in-law has the fronts, but I haven't seen the rears.

I'd like to see some pics if you have any... and what size are those?

chronicsmoke
12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Ballance Razrs look pretty good. I grooved my turf tamers kind of like them.. lots of room to clean themselves out easily

400man
12-09-2010, 12:06 PM
those tires are 20-10x9's. I wouldnt recommend em though if you like to spin and slide around and stuff, cause these tires grip hard even on the sidewall treads. and if you got a slipping clutch, these tires will let you know for sure cause they dont spin much at all in dirt. in the pics they are next to a fairly worn pair of gncc holeshots 21-11x9's.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/ballancetires014.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/ballancetires015.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/ballancetires017.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/ballancetires016.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/ballancetires018.jpg

MtnEX
12-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Really perfect set of pictures there...

Could not have asked for a better set of pics...

These make my list of tires I'll buy to try in the future.

honda400ex2003
12-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Flipper did you get anything ordered yet? what did ya choose? steve

CJM
12-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Flipper did you get anything ordered yet? what did ya choose? steve

Broke as hell right now steve, I decided to do razr 2 fronts and leave the kendas on the rear for now. Too dang cold to ride anyways right now so I got some time.

Once I get a job or a good bit of cash Im probably gonna do regular razr's on the rear.

honda400ex2003
12-10-2010, 09:58 PM
lol me too. i have 1800 bucks to last me till feb... not much money when rent is due again dec 31st along with the rest of the bills. not gonna be a fun month now after seeing that today. oh well. maybe my overage will come in Jan instead. steve

CJM
12-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Im coming up to the end of school on dec 16th then finals next week after. Then jan 18th stars all over till may.

I lost my job cause I had an accident in the work truck (got t-boned) and cant find even a cruddy job. Really sucks cause I was making $$$$ out the wazoo.

Now Im selling things on ebay I dont need. Selling stuff on forums and trying to conserve some money.

Was a bad idea to buy the sprockets and nerfs at this time but I wanted them..oh well.

Hoping by spring Ive found a job or at least Ill have a job come summer maybe working for a buddy.

Otherwise gonna be a boring few months if all I got is school.

99400esex
12-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I always like razr 1's but I never ran them on the front, Im in need of some new fronts before next season and ill probably just stick with razr 1's. I can tell you I never had a problem getting traction in any condition when I used them in the back, also never had a blow out either. They are really great tires

CJM
12-11-2010, 09:33 AM
razr 2 so far from what I gather is just more beefy and more traction-specially up front. In the rear I think they would be to much for me cause I like to slide-but up front they should be fine. Buddy of mine runes paddles rear and razr2 up front and he has no issues so thats also something to think about.

I did have a line on a used set on ebay-really nice shape but they sold for 20 bucks less than new when shipped so I didnt buy them.

99400esex
12-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Yeah man my last thread about fronts had a lot of responses about the razr 2's, people say that they help to climb up and out of ruts too which is a plus, I like the fact that there 6 ply just for added insurance. Im still debating on wether I want the razr 1's or 2's. Ill eventually get 1's for the rears but that wont be for awhile. I wish I could afford a nice set of black wheels right now, too expensive though.

CJM
12-11-2010, 04:22 PM
There are these wheels that come in matte black on rocky mtn, think they call them g-force. They are about 50 bucks ea and people said they are good. IDK myself havent ran them.

99400esex
12-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks man ill check those out for sure.