PDA

View Full Version : 400ex tuning??

wolfe 21
12-06-2010, 05:24 PM
2 Questions:

Got a set of douglas rims with tires and just wondering if they need special lug nuts? They don't appear to have the recess area like the stockers do for the acorn nuts to sit down into.

I'm trying to rejet my carb to get better cold starting and warm weather performance (love ohio, weather anywhere from 0 to 100 degrees). Anyway, I wanted to know if a 40 pilot and like a 155-158 main is big enough for a stock engine with a K&N filter and stock exhaust? Currently stock as far as I know. Also, does the little plastic plate that sits above the jets between them and the floats do anything or just another example of over engineering? I've seen the jetting threads and hate to ask the same question again, but it seems like everyone is either jetting for a 450 carb or a severely modded engine (stock is fast enough for now) so I figured I'd ask.

James.

CJM
12-06-2010, 05:45 PM
If the wheels dont have the tapered area for the lugs you need new flat lugnuts. You can buy them from rocky mtn atv or pretty much any vendor.

Or if your cheap turn the stock lugs around.

CarGuy7a
12-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I turned the stock lug nuts around for mine. Eventually after taking the wheels off a couple of times the lugs started to dig into the wheels a little bit. I found some very thin Stainless Steel washers to put on before I put the lugs on and it works great.

For your jetting a 40 pilot sounds good. I run a 40 and it starts great. It does still take a little bit to start it in extreme cold conditions, but it starts faster than it would with the stock PJ. 155-158 main jet sounds a little high for a mostly stock machine with just a K&N and stock exhaust. I would shoot for the 150 to 155 range.

wolfe 21
12-07-2010, 07:00 AM
thanks for the information. I'm just looking for a little better starting as mine has been cold natured even on relatively warm fall days. I don't ride unless it's above 50 degrees (atleast I haven't yet).

On a side note, can anyone recommend a good hour meter. I think that will be my next low cost mod to help with maintenance intervals (have only ridden enough to change oil twice since I've had it, last time was before current storage).

James