PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Recommendations

wolfe 21
12-06-2010, 05:18 PM
A little off topic, but I didn't see a gear section. If I missed it please move to correct are.

I've been riding for about two years now and I think it's time for some new gear. Anybody have any recommendations for a helmet and some OTG goggles that are actually comfortable and won't fog up on me. Current setup is an AFX helmet with Scott voltage OTG's. Saw a nice fox on Clearance, any problems with them (small sizing especially as I'm at XL as it is).

Thanks,
James.

CJM
12-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Im a big fan of scott goggles, not sure if they still make them but I use the 89 series and seriously they wont fog even after ive washed the lens and stuff.

As for helmets HJC is quality and cheap, everyone pretty much wears one in my group. I was gonna get one but I picked up a really nice bell for cheap.

Thumpin440ex
12-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I picked up a brand new bell in flat black for under 200 bucks. It is a super nice helmet for the money, is also snell rated.. And for goggles I found a nice set of used oakleys for next to nothing...

John

finsteratv
12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
i bought some spy goggles but havnt ridden them yet
anyone have experience with em?

bkelley
12-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I've had my Spys for about 5 years now. Changed out the lens for a dark one about a year ago. Other than that, I've had zero complaints.

ish416
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Helmets and boots are the two pieces of gear that I will not skimp on.

Just like an aftermarket suspension makes you notice how bad "good" stock suspension is, a great helmet will make you realize how uncomfortable, heavy, poorly vented and cheap that a cheaper helmet is.

I am still rocking my Shoei VFX-R I purchased in 2000. Just replaced the interior this spring. It is still the best helmet that I have ever wore. When this helmet either wears out or I crack it from a crash it will get replaced with another Shoei VFX. Yes, they are expensive but completely worth it. Otherwise, I would go with a Bell.

As for goggles, I run Scotts and Spy. For anti-fogging, I just pop the lense out, wipe the inside of the lens with soap let it sit for a minute then wipe it off. As for the outside of the lens, Rain-x glass wipes.

wolfe 21
12-07-2010, 07:09 AM
will definitely look into the 89 frames, as I've heard some good things about them. I've seen a few Bell helmets on sale as well, but am surprised at their fanbase here. I figured nobody really ran them anymore unless they were automotive or sponsored. May have to look closer at the ones I found (I can always rattle can over the cheesy graphics; who wants to have a pink dragon on their head anyway). may also look for a "helmet hawk" for the extra visibility it offers (lime green or maybe orange) and because I know the conservative guys I ride with will get a kick out of it.

James.

f419sr1
12-07-2010, 07:17 AM
As mentioned above dont skimp on gear. As far as helmets make sure they are dot or snell approved. Im using a klim f4. Light weight well vented comes with 2 visors and extra hardware 2 liners a air block for cold weater and a vented liner. You can also get different size cheek pads to fit better
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/off+road/motocross+helmets/klim_f4+helmet+-+2009+

CJM
12-07-2010, 10:47 AM
If you want a good laugh about bell helmets: they have 2 product lines a cheaper one thats sold in stores and online and the really nice more $$ stuff.

Ive been running this one I got at walmart years ago. Bell riot or something like that. So far I like it, it does its job well and to date from various crashes I have only busted the visor slightly where it adjusts and it makes it easy to move by hand and wont move when riding.

Its DOT/Snell approved and has kept my noggin from being busted in some hairy crashes.

Many go all out and buy the best gear possible-but alot of the time your paying for the name. Thats why so many I know run HJC, affordable and good helmets and what I was gonna buy till I found the bell.

honda400ex2003
12-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Im a big fan of scott goggles, not sure if they still make them but I use the 89 series and seriously they wont fog even after ive washed the lens and stuff.

As for helmets HJC is quality and cheap, everyone pretty much wears one in my group. I was gonna get one but I picked up a really nice bell for cheap.

x2 I like my HJC helmets with the scotts. If you like quick strap they are also a great addition to the setup. Ill be getting another HJC in the spring to replace mine since it is getting old and got hit pretty hard not long before winter flew. time to replace it so i am still safe. steve

ridgeracer
12-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ish416
As for the outside of the lens, Rain-x glass wipes.

Genius. Thanks for the tip.

CJM
12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
FWIW my scott goggles I have NEVER EVER been able to fog up no matter what I do. I tried to wipe them off cause they got some mud on them and it wouldnt come off with my gloves or the goggles bag I have. Turns out some water and a microfiber cloth and bingo.

they just wont fog, whatever coating they use is excellent.

UnderFire
12-07-2010, 11:03 PM
I wear a Thor Quadrant, it's really well balanced, with almost no weight pulling forwards, and very comfortable, also keeps my head from sweating a whole lot.

My goggles are just cheap-o Thors, but they work for me because I've only used them for Dune riding.

MtnEX
12-07-2010, 11:55 PM
I see nothing wrong with getting another AFX helmet.

I think they could have made some slightly better choices on the removeable liner stuff... and some better color choices on the fabric.

But I tell you what... I really like this helmet. They got my business because they "readily" publish their helmet weights. Glad I went this route.

I didn't want something that would make my neck tired and sore after a long rough day of riding. And I am really very easily agitated by anything that alters my senses much... visibility is pretty good, and the sounds are not too terribly muffled.

On goggles, I agree that Scott goggles are very good. I have a pair of Fox Main Pro's also and they are very nice as well. I'd bet those ARC goggles are not terrible either.

Anyone have any tips on anti-glare lenses for this time of year when the sun is low and always in your face?

Thumpin440ex
12-08-2010, 12:31 AM
BTw most of the time you get what you pay for.. Bell has been making helmets since the late 50's. so they must be doing something right.. None the less, to each there own.. I would be more tempted to pick up a well know cheaper helmet then a newer to the market cheaper helmet..

John

wolfe 21
12-08-2010, 05:48 AM
That's what I was thinking with the fox I saw Clearanced (V1 or 2, not sure at the moment). Figured it was a known brand with a price I could now afford. I've had no real complaints about my current helmet, just thought it might be time for a new one after a couple years.

Anybody know anything about KBC or FLY racing helmets. Saw a FLY lid I really liked, but know nothing about the brand.

James.

CJM
12-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX

Anyone have any tips on anti-glare lenses for this time of year when the sun is low and always in your face? [/B]

Gray lens, you can still see well and when the sun hits really helps.

smoke tractor1
12-08-2010, 10:07 AM
The bottom line is how much is your head worth?In my opinion an ARAI and SHOEI are by far the best quality period,But there are alot decent mid grade on the market for around 150-250 dollars.FYI go online to motorcycle superstore,they have SMITH evo w/rolloffs for $24.95 right now,That's a smokin deal! I just ordered 6 pair!Good luck!

chronicsmoke
12-08-2010, 11:07 AM
ROCKYMOUNTAIN has some pretty sweet deals on right now.. free shipping over 100$ too. and theyve got like 3 pages of goggles on clearence.

tide2085
12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I just ordered a FOX F3 F-Head X-Race helmet from motosport.com. And i ride with oakley proven frame with black iridium lens or spy magneto goggles with a tinted mirror lens.

MtnEX
12-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Gray lens, you can still see well and when the sun hits really helps.

Thanks... I will check those out.

MtnEX
12-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I am not going to disagree that the high dollar helmets aren't great lids.

Probably better in a lot of ways.

I am happy with my AFX helmet so far though, especially at the price point.

I have been trying to make a habit of wearing mine every time I touch the quads no matter what because I developed a bad habit of not doing that... to the point I felt weird wearing one period. So that's gotta end...

And in time of continuous wear like that, I may change my mind and want to invest a lot more coin in my next helmet. Dunno, time will tell.

trailrider894
12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
don't skimp on gear for sure a 200 dollar helmet is cheaper than 200,000 dollar brain surgery.

erik420
12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I have a bell moto 7 and love it. Its well vented, light, and comfy. I run a cheap pair of goggles I got on ebay. I don't even remember the name of them. They always fog up and they suck. Going to get a new pair. Any recomendations? Thanks guys.

Erik

smoke tractor1
12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
MOTORCYCLE SUPERSTORE HAS SMITH'S ON CLEARANCE EVOS $12.95,EVOS W/ROLL OFFS $24.95,WARP STARS W/ROLL OFFS $29.95 AND ALOT MORE, BELOW DEALER COST!

Dball
12-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Make sure you get a DOT and Snell approved helmet. A DOT only helmet is tested by the manufactuer only. A Snell apporved helmet is independently tested to ensure that it meets all requirements. I would never wear a helmet that is not Snell approved. I did my research after my first concussion came up short on a double I think?. Currently wearing a Fox V3 last years model at half price & Smith goggles that I am not impressed with dust makes it way through the foam.

wolfe 21
12-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Time to shop for a new lid then, as my current rig is only DOT (no snell sticker/tag). Anybody know anything about FLY racing???
Leaning toward a fox lid right now... A V2 Hybrid (DOT and Snell 2005). Might try a pair of the 87 frames as well, depending on $ outlay for helmet.

James.

-TheDude-
12-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by wolfe 21
Time to shop for a new lid then, as my current rig is only DOT (no snell sticker/tag). Anybody know anything about FLY racing???
Leaning toward a fox lid right now... A V2 Hybrid (DOT and Snell 2005). Might try a pair of the 87 frames as well, depending on $ outlay for helmet.

James.

i run a fly helmet and like it

wolfe 21
12-09-2010, 05:38 PM
anybody running Thor goggles? I really like the color they call XRay on their Enemy series goggles. Figured this way I'd have the Scotts for OTG and the Thors for days I wear my contacts.

Also, anybody got a recommendation as to a good place to shop for helmets online with good pricing. I'm trying to find a Fox V2 Bomber (really like the retro style graphic and Snell 2005 and DOT approved) in an XL or XXL and Rocky and Motosport both don't have them (Iron pony wants $220 when everyone else is in the 100-150 range).

James.

CJM
12-09-2010, 05:50 PM
You try dennis kick, magic racing or just googling it yet?

wolfe 21
12-09-2010, 09:30 PM
tried google, best I found was around 150, but I only saw small through large. Honestly, I overlooked dennis kirk (thought they were more street bike oriented) and have never heard of the other. will check both right now.

thanks,
James.

Thumpin440ex
12-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Just a shot. I like chit plain jane. Like I said I picked this up on sale for under 200

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex%20build/bell.jpg

John

MtnEX
12-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Dball
Make sure you get a DOT and Snell approved helmet. A DOT only helmet is tested by the manufactuer only. A Snell apporved helmet is independently tested to ensure that it meets all requirements. I would never wear a helmet that is not Snell approved. I did my research after my first concussion came up short on a double I think?. Currently wearing a Fox V3 last years model at half price & Smith goggles that I am not impressed with dust makes it way through the foam.

Hope you were trying to be funny at your own expense, cause I got a small chuckle out of that one... before I started telling myself that really wasn't funny.

Fox makes really good looking helmets I've noticed. But then again, I like the looks of a lot of Fox stuff personally, but don't really see folks actually wearing it while riding...

-TheDude-
12-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Hope you were trying to be funny at your own expense, cause I got a small chuckle out of that one... before I started telling myself that really wasn't funny.

Hahahaha I didnt pick up on that the first time i read it but that is funny

wolfe 21
12-10-2010, 10:55 AM
As it stands, I have only found two places that have the helmet I'm looking for, both for 219ish, in a size that will fit. I'm thinking I'll just order the plain jane V2 I found in black and spend the difference on gas for riding

John, you mind if I ask where you got your helmet.

armstrong88
12-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by wolfe 21
A little off topic, but I didn't see a gear section. If I missed it please move to correct are.

I've been riding for about two years now and I think it's time for some new gear. Anybody have any recommendations for a helmet and some OTG goggles that are actually comfortable and won't fog up on me. Current setup is an AFX helmet with Scott voltage OTG's. Saw a nice fox on Clearance, any problems with them (small sizing especially as I'm at XL as it is).

Thanks,
James. Check out the helmets are One Industries.com and SixSixOne.com
For goggles, u gotta see the ones at The X Brand.com TOTALLY RAD!

Thumpin440ex
12-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Oh man.. Um I think it was a huge shop in florida.. Give me a lil, I will try to find the name of the place. They had some smoking deals going on at the time, but this was 6-8 months back..

John

wolfe 21
12-10-2010, 12:36 PM
no problem, I was hoping maybe I'd get lucky and it was from a mail order place. Looked at the sites recommended by armstrong too, some nice products and very colorful graphics. I did really like the Xbrand goggles in clear blue.

John, is that a moto-8 or MX-1 helmet. Looks very similar to a MX-1 I found.

James

wolfe 21
12-10-2010, 01:15 PM
OK short list is either a Bell MX-1 or a Fox V2 Hybrid, both in black, both are DOT/Snell 2005 approved. Also, anybody running one of the neon colored mo-hawks on their helmets, what's a good place to get one. (Rocky mountain doesn't have them as far as I can tell). I'd like the extra visibility on a black helmet and it just looks funny.

James.

99400esex
12-11-2010, 08:59 AM
HJC is the only helmet I have been using for years and they have never failed me. Good price and they look decent, thats all that matters too me, although I really like the look of the black Fox rockstar helmets.

Ian400ex
12-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Here are my helmets.

Gmax GM68S

and

Vega (old so idk model) with Vega goggles (wouldn't get again).

http://img210.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=1001720o.jpg :)

Glamis400ex
12-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Suomy makes the lightest helmet and is Snell2000/DOT approved

wolfe 21
12-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I decided on a clearance priced Bell that is DOT/Snell approved and a set of Thor Goggles since they were one of the few I could find in Green and they weren't overly expensive.

James.