PDA

View Full Version : machine settings for welding atv frames.

Honda4life05
12-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Hey guys I have my honda 450r frame tore down and i want to weld up a few cracks I found. I'm not sure on where to begin with machine settings for mig welding, I have a lincoln electric professional series welder. If you could give me a starting point to fo off of that would be great. and maybe pappy could chime in because i know he repairs these frames. The places i have to weld are
- right below one of the foot peg area
-a weld on a piece going horizontle where the front brake lines bot to. I know a gusset kit would be a good idea, but this will only be my backup frame.

(I will get pics later)
Also all parts being welded will be sand blasted.
any help is appriciated!!

CJM
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Really impossible to tell b/c we arent with you.

I would use fluxcore wire and have it cranked up. Higher the heat (to a degree) better it penetrates and flux core will burn hotter which is a good thing. May not look pretty cause you not using shielding gas tho.

01 250exman
12-06-2010, 05:19 PM
there are charts that will tell you how to set it up based on metal thickness there might be one on the inside where the wire spool is, don't get it too hot or you will burn right through lol

250x_kyle
12-06-2010, 05:22 PM
yeah its impossible to tell you without being there. find a peice of metal that thin and do some playing. i wouldnt weld it without sheilding gas.

CJM
12-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
. i wouldnt weld it without sheilding gas.

I welded the steering stem mount in with no gas. But, I used a 115v machine and used fluxcore wire. Its welded better than factory.

Ichoptop
12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
flux core has its place. autobody...maybe a fence. But it leaves welds with tiny voids making them weaker then a typical gas system. If you dont know the settings you need to use are you sure you want to be welding on your frame?

It also is worth your while to drill an 1/8" hole at then end of any crack possible to keep it from cracking again. Then grind all the cracks into a V and weld it hot and fast.

250x_kyle
12-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I welded the steering stem mount in with no gas. But, I used a 115v machine and used fluxcore wire. Its welded better than factory.

after some of the factory welds i went over on one of my 400ex frames i wouldnt be supprized. im more of a tig guy. just dont have one sitting in the shop at the moment.

CJM
12-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
flux core has its place. autobody...maybe a fence. But it leaves welds with tiny voids making them weaker then a typical gas system. If you dont know the settings you need to use are you sure you want to be welding on your frame?

While I agree, see below. \/

Originally posted by 250x_kyle
after some of the factory welds i went over on one of my 400ex frames i wouldnt be supprized. im more of a tig guy. just dont have one sitting in the shop at the moment.

The factory welds..well they aint very good at all. I like the mig fluxcore b/c it penetrates very well.

FHKracingZ
12-07-2010, 04:50 PM
If you have access and the skill i would recommend tig welding it. Tig is the strongest type of weld if done right due to the direct aim of the electrodes into your piece being welded. Fluxcore works decent but puddle control isnt near tig quality, they use alot of flux core for building structers and such. Any weld you go with will be better than a crack!

nwi45
12-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Tig it

Honda4life05
12-07-2010, 09:05 PM
okay thanks for the help. i should rephrase my question, what thickness is the honda 450r tube frame? and is it mild steel? thanks!

CJM
12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Im pretty sure its mild steel. Not sure the thickness, maybe 3/16 inches, its not 1/4 that im sure of.

Take your time and stitch weld it if you have to.

Honda4life05
12-07-2010, 09:13 PM
okay i'm doing it tomorrow, i'll post pics when done!

One_Bad_400
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
What kind of welder are you using?

Tig or mig is the only way to go on those frames. Flux core running C02 is good penitrating but not really what i would use on a ATV frame.

I think the frame thickness is around .065-.075. Thats only approximately 1/16". MAYBE 3/32" in some parts of the frame. A rule of thumb is for every .001 thickness of metal you need 1 amp. Just a thought, so don't go crank your machine up to 150 amps, you'll blow strait through

CJM
12-07-2010, 10:05 PM
I just measured the piece of front frame I had laying around from cutting out the steering stem mount. The mount itself was much thicker believe it or not.

Frame is a hair slightly thicker than 1/16 of an inch at least in the front of the frame area.