PDA

View Full Version : Throttle sticking

JRN2786
12-05-2010, 03:00 PM
almost every time i hit the throttle it sticks about an 1/4 way in and wont go further it idles down with no problem. It just fells like theres something its catching on. If i let off a litlle and hit it again it usually works . Dont know if its in the carb or the throttle assembly. Thanks

3400ben
12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Unhook the cable from the carb and see if the cable slides free. It will either be carb, cable or throttle housing.

rubbersdown
12-05-2010, 04:56 PM
when the last time you replaced or lubed the cable?

BenHonda400ex
12-05-2010, 05:44 PM
When I went to the sand dunes sometimes I wouldn't be able to push my throttle past like half way

duroc825
12-07-2010, 05:58 PM
I can't believe it! Mine started doing the exact same thing this past weekend at a Harescramble from first lap to the finish. I haven't taken it apart yet but I know it's at the carb. If i get it apart tomorrow and figure it out I'll post what I find. That is unless it gets answered tonight! :D My money's on linkage at carb seein as it's a relatively new cable and I also took apart connection at handlebars and saw no problems.

AtvKid4Eva
12-07-2010, 06:13 PM
look inside the throttle housing on the handle bars and make sure the spring didn't fall off or break and is wedged in there stopping it from moving..

bherriman
12-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Not to hijack the thread here, but what does that tiny spring in the handle bar mount throttle housing do? When I put my 450 carb and cable on, this spring unwound slightly and doesn't have the tension it used to, but my throttle still works perfect.

3400ben
12-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by bherriman
Not to hijack the thread here, but what does that tiny spring in the handle bar mount throttle housing do? When I put my 450 carb and cable on, this spring unwound slightly and doesn't have the tension it used to, but my throttle still works perfect.

It more or less keeps the lever from vibrating. I took it off my throttle.

JRN2786
12-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by duroc825
I can't believe it! Mine started doing the exact same thing this past weekend at a Harescramble from first lap to the finish. I haven't taken it apart yet but I know it's at the carb. If i get it apart tomorrow and figure it out I'll post what I find. That is unless it gets answered tonight! :D My money's on linkage at carb seein as it's a relatively new cable and I also took apart connection at handlebars and saw no problems.

Well let us know. Its too cold for me mess with right now. until a week or so before i plan on riding.

duroc825
12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
I hate to admit it but it's been too cold for me to get out there and work on it too! And I live in FLORIDA!

duroc825
12-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Ok, it made it into the 60's today so I took it apart. Linkage at carb and bars were fine, cable was good also. What I ended up finding was my problem was the throttle valve was hanging up. I took it out and cleaned it with electrical cleaner and now it slides up and down with no problem. Might be your problem too???

JRN2786
12-15-2010, 08:34 AM
ok ill check. Thanks