PDA

View Full Version : vortex CDI ignition upgrade...

jcs003
12-05-2010, 03:43 AM
anyone heard of or used this set-up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vortex-Performance-Ignitions-Honda-TRX-250R-CDI-New-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2c5b5c1fQQitemZ40017 6143391QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

dtowndiesel
12-05-2010, 08:53 AM
I bought one a few years back from duncan racing, they said it was a must have for any 250r owner. It has ten different power curves you can choose from, so depending on your type of riding you take a little flat head screw driver and turn the dial on the cdi box and set it to any # 1-10. It comes with a little instruction sheet that shows you all ten power curves. I honestly could not tell a difference between the vortex and my stock cdi no matter what setting I had it on, if there was a difference it was so slight it wasn't worth noticing. If you want to go fast spend a little more money and get a PVL or a CR250 ignition, then you'll notice a difference!!

jcs003
12-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by dtowndiesel
I bought one a few years back from duncan racing, they said it was a must have for any 250r owner. It has ten different power curves you can choose from, so depending on your type of riding you take a little flat head screw driver and turn the dial on the cdi box and set it to any # 1-10. It comes with a little instruction sheet that shows you all ten power curves. I honestly could not tell a difference between the vortex and my stock cdi no matter what setting I had it on, if there was a difference it was so slight it wasn't worth noticing. If you want to go fast spend a little more money and get a PVL or a CR250 ignition, then you'll notice a difference!!

thanks. it seems a little expensive. i had the chance to get a PVL for $125 and heard they are unreliable. im convinced the CR ignition is the only way to go. just freeing up the funds is another issue.

dtowndiesel
12-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
thanks. it seems a little expensive. i had the chance to get a PVL for $125 and heard they are unreliable. im convinced the CR ignition is the only way to go. just freeing up the funds is another issue.

Here's a link - http://www.duncanracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DRI&Product_Code=VT-1200-VT-1450&Category_Code=100

Personally I can't say PVL's are unreliable, I've had great success with mine. The trick is just getting them set up correctly, they have such a wide range of timing adjustment. To set them up accurately you need a dial indicator that screws into your spark plug hole, set the timing according to their specs and then advance or retard from their to suit your motor. I've ran a pvl on two different motor setups and once you find that sweet spot that your motor likes they freaking rip. The flywheels are so small and so light, and you can get different weight flywheels from pvl. But when it all boils down they are a pain in the a** to set up properly, and just like you I'd almost prefer the CR ignition. If you picked one up for that cheap though you might as well play with it, it's kind of fun to take the time and figure them out, here's a link that might help you if you need instructions:

http://pentonracingproducts.com/

dtowndiesel
12-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by jcs003

As far as freeing up the funds I think the CR ignition is on sale at ESR right now.....$480ish if i remember correctly.....not bad.