PDA

View Full Version : ATV 4 play steering stem for DRR

EthansDad
12-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey all,

just got one of these and mounted it on one of our bikes. fits good and looks like a good design. only thing I noticed is its longer than the stock DRR stem by about 2 inches or so. makes the bars (also 4 play soft bars) sit up much higher than the rest of our quads.

anyone running this stem know what the difference is on the raised height? my guess is its for taller kids, but not sure what the recommended sizing was. my kids tall, but not that tall. when he sits on the quad with natural bar grip, his hands drop about 2-3 inches lower than his shoulders. doesn't quite look like he's riding a chopper, but its up there.

-EA

thequadfather+2
12-05-2010, 06:23 AM
We have the 4-Play Stem and Bars on Jordans and compared to our other quad (stock) it was a little higher. He didnt seem to mind and got used to it pretty quick. I may have gotten used to them as well, they dont seem that high to me. We got ours about a year ago. I have the steering stem support as well and together all of it has worked well. I had to trim the palstic around the stem because when we turned the the bars the bottom of the mount hit the edge of the plastic up near the gas tank.

EthansDad
12-05-2010, 08:23 AM
does this seem in line with your height? just looks way high.

fomospede
12-05-2010, 10:02 AM
i just went and looked at are stock drr setup
and that looks like plus 2 or 3
is that why they sell the support system?
my 450 is tall like that and ive grown to appreciate
in the seated position keeping my elbows up is easier
also on steep inclines and decline it is less stressful but that is XC

EthansDad
12-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Ok I'll bite. What is the support system?

The stem came with bars clamps, but they won't work with the flex bars. My kid will be jumping back and forth on different quads next season and don't know if having one this different (in handling) from the others makes sence.

nastynotchback1
12-05-2010, 12:41 PM
after a few laps with it he is going to like it better.will make him feel more in control.you will probably have to buy another for his other quad

fomospede
12-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by EthansDad
Ok I'll bite. What is the support system?

The stem came with bars clamps, but they won't work with the flex bars. My kid will be jumping back and forth on different quads next season and don't know if having one this different (in handling) from the others makes sence.
sorry, rather it should be called a relocater

EthansDad
12-05-2010, 01:23 PM
So what is this relocater? Is it a third part for the system? What does it relocate?

EthansDad
12-05-2010, 01:25 PM
And I measured grip height on a stock drr with soft bars and this stem. The grips are exactly 2 inches higher.

xtremeatv
12-05-2010, 02:08 PM
The relocator moves your steering stem support up by 8" Basically it gives the stem more support so you dont bend it up. Its a good idea with the longer stems and it is pretty cheap considering its made by atv four play. Go look at their site for details on it. Prolly be a good investment considering how high your bars are now.

edwardsp&b
12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Just Chrome it out, and tell him its ape hangars on a chopper. LOL

Looks a little high to me, but Bens cobra was that way and he liked it. How did Ethan like it?
Bryan

travis rimmer
12-05-2010, 05:44 PM
tj loves the higher bars i tried to put a lower set on and he would have none of it

don bassani
12-05-2010, 06:25 PM
I have a stem from from Carter that is tall like that and DJ hated it. Ethan is of similar build, so I would see what he says.1" height is a huge difference for my son,although he is a fussy lil guy !!!

EthansDad
12-05-2010, 07:01 PM
ok, this just went on the market. might be better, but just don't think it makes sense to have the bike setup from one to another so different. if you have a stock stem you are looking to trade up for this one, check here and let me know. and no, did not even have him ride it.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=453765

thequadfather+2
12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by EthansDad
does this seem in line with your height? just looks way high.

No, ours are not that high. The bottom where the nut goes on the studs for the bars hit our plastic. Yours seem to be a couple inches higher.

We use the stem support Tom makes. It moves the mounting point up several inches above the stock location making the stem more stable and stronger due to the shorter distance between the bars and the mounting point.

chris p.
12-05-2010, 07:39 PM
sent you pm

coffing918
12-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Here is a pic of JJs ATV 4 play bars, not the best angle but u can kind of see the height. They deffently are not as high as urs tho.
(we dont have the red cable anymore lol)
He loves these bars and yes they are higher than regular bars, when he rides his cousins 70 with stock bars he hates it,
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj88/juuey/JJSNEW50P.jpg

T@AFP
12-06-2010, 06:31 PM
On the bottom of the flag. We engrave when it was manufactured and what length it is. For the high profile Soft Bars you should get a standard height or a +1.
Note that with those I mentioned. The plastics around stem will have to be cut.

EthansDad
12-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Just a quick point of clarification - the picture I posted on here is not a ATV 4play stem. was a unintentional mix up with the seller when I bough this second hand. Thanks for Tom at 4play for setting me straight on this. The picture coffing posted is correct and the 4play stem does not normally stand this tall.

-EA

bulldogfallon
12-21-2010, 12:47 PM
The stem you purchased was one that Extreme Mini Quads NW used to sell that accepted a DC bar clamp.

I spoke to the customer...innocent mistake on his part for sure...

He called me and I resent his invoice from 2008....Guess it had been too long ago...

Hope it all worked out

I have an ATV 4Play stem set up here if you still need one

bulldogfallon
12-21-2010, 12:49 PM
We also ran the Soft Bars on a stock Apex stem last year and my son really liked them on one so we installed a 2nd set to keep them the same.

We sold the quad and that rider didn't like them and sold the set to another friend at the track :) Kids!! :) :)