PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki LT 80 1996 ATV

Jerrycorkey
12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
How do you take off the starter.I put on a new starter relay & a new battery and got it to crank but it cranks slow I gess the starter is bad I have had it setting up on its back for a few day would that have anything to do with the starter

fearlessfred
12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
some times on the 80s the starter problems are related to the fuel pump that is part of the fuel shutoff. the diafram in the pump lets fuel leak back down into the vaccum tube and fill the carb and motor with fuel.this makes it difficult to turn over and start and sometimes hydrolicaly locking up. this kills the starter.dont know if this is your problem,but thought i would bring it up before u replaced starter and still had the same prob. the fuel pump going out like this is not uncommon

Jerrycorkey
12-05-2010, 11:04 AM
If it fuel in the crankcase how can I fix it. I can take the plug out and it seems to crank pretty good. Would it help if I took the starter relay off and put a ford starter sol. on it

fearlessfred
12-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerrycorkey
If it fuel in the crankcase how can I fix it. I can take the plug out and it seems to crank pretty good. Would it help if I took the starter relay off and put a ford starter sol. on it when u turnmotor over with sparkplug out u should be able to see a mist of fuel come out of the sparkplug hole and the plug will wet with fuel. if this is the case, first remove the vaccum from the carb to the petcock and plug both ends than make an effort to get all the excess fuel out of motor by turning motor over with the plug out giving the starter a couple of min.cool down periods between cranking (you prob.would want to have batt.charger on while doing this and do it outside were it is ventilated ) clean the plug or use new one ,reinstall plug, and try and start with throttle wide open .if it starts it will prob chug along for a little bit hold throttle wide open until the revs start climbing and then back off throttle. if u get it running let us know and someone can futher help you. if the starter is turning over and solinoid is not clicking than there is nothing wrong with the solinoid.all this does not mean that the starter is not burned up but the fuel pump should be ruled out before replacing starter.goodluck