PDA

View Full Version : rev box- inconsistant rpms?

rtrocket59
12-04-2010, 05:13 PM
i just installed a big gun rev box and it fired right up. but when idling the rpms will be normal for a few seconds and than the rpms go really high as if the choke was on. and than eventually the quad will just shut off on its own. is this normal when putting in a new CDI in? thanks for the help

cataway
12-05-2010, 10:31 AM
sounds more like your running out of gas, not from the tank but in the carb bowl

rtrocket59
12-12-2010, 06:57 AM
how do i fix that? do i just clean it?

cataway
12-12-2010, 11:16 AM
a very thorough cleaning starting with the petcock

there may be a screen just before the float needle that can be pluged
i have seen were the gas cap would not vent but that takes more running time to get that to happen

rtrocket59
12-12-2010, 12:15 PM
i cleaned out the float this morning and finally got the quad running but i would have to set the petcock to prime. it would idle perfectly than just cut out. now that i saw your post ill clean up the petcock and check the rest of the carb and see what happens

rtrocket59
12-12-2010, 05:33 PM
i cleaned all of that up and the quad ran great for about 5 minutes of idle(with the big gun cdi). i put the fenders and everything back on.

i tried starting it up again with the big gun cdi and it wouldnt start. so i put the stock one on and it started but when i hit the throttle it would just bog and shut off!
:mad: :grr: :ermm: :confused:

i honestly dont know what to do haha

moonman
01-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Hey, did you get it goin?
I had some problems with the petcock, when you turn it to PRI that means it is getting fuel ALL the time
When in the normal position there is a diaphram in the tank or petcock that allows fuel to flow only when the engine is running
and when it is not running it stops the flow of fuel to the engine
this is designed so as to eliminate the off position.
However, I myself have had some problems with this design and when I would accelerate the engine it acted like it was starving for fuel because the diaphram was closing (instead of opening)
Be careful if you remove the petcock it is made of plastic and will easily break
what I did was to take off the tank and flush it out
this cured my problem- hope this helps