PDA

View Full Version : wide and or narrow frame?what are the pro's and con's of both?

1977darren0
12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
looking for a hybrid and just wondered what the diff was apart from the bump steer issue.walsh still offers both wide and narrow frames so they must be better at summit but what??

mildtowildracin
12-04-2010, 09:19 PM
narrow frame allows for a longer a-arm witch allows for less bump steer and better overall handling

1977darren0
12-05-2010, 09:17 AM
yes but why does walsh still offer the wide frame?is it more stable for flat track maybe?

josborn
12-05-2010, 11:30 AM
I know at one point alot of Pro's decided that they liked the wide frames better, something to do with the steering. Thats why you see alot of wide frames toward the end of the hybrid period around 2002-2003. At least thats the story I was given. I would ask Justin (JRSPAWN). He has (had) them all.

1977darren0
12-05-2010, 03:59 PM
someone must of ridden both and can tell all?

jrspawn
12-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, like Josborn posed I have and have had a ton of both narrow and wide setups. My choice.... Narrow by a long shot! But others may like the wides. It's all in your riding style and likes.

A wide front end will handle similar to what everyone is used to Quad wise.

A narrow will have a very noticable different feeling. But shock setup can also play HUGE roll in this too. On my quads with the shocks dialed in, I have zero bump steer( almost forgot what that was). There are also a few things I do a little different that I like....

With the more"roll" of a narrow front, I like to run alot more negative caster then the normal or what most others do. Doing so plants the front end VERY good under front braking, taking advantage of both the roll and added traction. With the more then normal negative camber also seems to smooth out some of the light shocks absortions.

To say one is superior to other is hard to do as a general consensus due to everyone has their own likings. But again, myself I would take a good setup tue way I like it narrow any day if I had a choice.

Justin

doc-bones
12-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Ditto with Justin.

Narrow all day long!

Justin,
By the way wait till you see that Laeger...... It is going to be sick as a complete rebuild!!!
doc