PDA

View Full Version : 300ex starting problem

alex1314
12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
the starter spins and the solenoid is new. when i first changed the solenoid it started right up. i left it on to warm up and when i came out side it was off and when i tried starting it again it wont start? can someone please help

alex1314
12-05-2010, 07:02 AM
also i should add that im in ny and its cold here. i dont know if that will help

wilkin250r
12-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Ok, let me make sure I understand the problem. When you say "the starter spins and the solenoid is new", your quad actually cranks over, right? Like, it's spinning the engine, there is noise coming out of the exhaust, it's TRYING to start, but it just won't. Is that correct?

How fast is the motor cranking?

If the motor is cranking over, then your starter and your solenoid are both functioning exactly as they are supposed to, the problem isn't with them.

First thing to do is check for spark. Pull the spark plug, connect it to the spark plug wire, but just hold the plug against the cylinder and crank the engine. (You MUST hold the plug against the engine, that's your ground path for the spark. You could possibly damage your CDI if you try to do it without that ground path.) While you're holding it there and cranking the engine, check to make sure the plug is actually sparking.

alex1314
12-07-2010, 02:29 PM
starter and solenoid is working properly. i checked if the spark plug has a spark and it does! what do i do try to get a new spark plug? Do you think mine has not enough spark?

fearlessfred
12-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by alex1314
starter and solenoid is working properly. i checked if the spark plug has a spark and it does! what do i do try to get a new spark plug? Do you think mine has not enough spark? if the spark is blue in color that is prob. good.make sure the plug is clean and dry ( it wouldnt hurt to replace it) with a clean dry plug try starting it. if it doesnt start u need to ck. to see if motor is getting fuel. start by pulling off fuel hose at carb and turning on to make sure gas is flowing freely. if it is than replace fuel line and look and see if there is a screw on the bottom of carb bowl. if there is than loosen the screw and see if fuel flows out freely ( if your bike has a drain screw it would be on the bottom of bowl facing out and not down and prob.on the left side ) if u drain the fuel into a clear container u can look and see if there is water in the fuel.if the gas flows freely from drain tube and there is no water in fuel, than post and we will help some more

wilkin250r
12-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Ok, let's take a shortcut. There are lots of little things we could tell you to check, and how to check, but it would take a while by the time we post, you check and give us the results, and we go to the next step.

Like I said, shortcut. Get a can of starting fluid (or carb cleaner would also work, but brake cleaner will not). Take off your lid and air filter, and spray a shot about 1 second long into the intake. Then try to start your quad. One of three things will happen.

1. No start. This is really bad.

2. Starts and runs for a couple seconds, then dies. This is okay.

3. Starts and runs just fine. This is best.

If number 2 happens, it means your engine is fine. The engine is able to start and is capable of running, it's just not getting the right amount of fuel. That will mean your problem is in your carburetor somewhere, which should be easy to fix.

If number 3 happens, it generally means your carb was kinda dirty and/or clogged, and running it cleaned it out.

If number 1 happens, it means something is wrong with your engine itself. The starting fluid should ignite really easily, and if your engine won't even run on starting fluid, then it quite possibly has major problems.

fearlessfred
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Ok, let's take a shortcut. There are lots of little things we could tell you to check, and how to check, but it would take a while by the time we post, you check and give us the results, and we go to the next step.

Like I said, shortcut. Get a can of starting fluid (or carb cleaner would also work, but brake cleaner will not). Take off your lid and air filter, and spray a shot about 1 second long into the intake. Then try to start your quad. One of three things will happen.

1. No start. This is really bad.

2. Starts and runs for a couple seconds, then dies. This is okay.

3. Starts and runs just fine. This is best.

If number 2 happens, it means your engine is fine. The engine is able to start and is capable of running, it's just not getting the right amount of fuel. That will mean your problem is in your carburetor somewhere, which should be easy to fix.

If number 3 happens, it generally means your carb was kinda dirty and/or clogged, and running it cleaned it out.

If number 1 happens, it means something is wrong with your engine itself. The starting fluid should ignite really easily, and if your engine won't even run on starting fluid, then it quite possibly has major problems. the use of starting fluid, could be a shortcut to engine damage. if u must use this methed use carb cleaner, logic tells me that if a motor dies after idling smoothly that the plug has fouled (prob because of cold weather ,choke still on ) or it has ran out of gas.checking to see if the carb has fuel in it and not water, is the place i would start and it prob .takes less time than pulling the air filter off.i would not recommend starting fluid to anyone. most of all twostrokes and deisels, i do admit that your methed could tell u if something mechanical is wrong ( low compression for what ever reason ) but i would think that a motor idling fine did not break anything and that it is fuel or spark is the prob. i guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.but, advise that could offer any chance of motor damage is something i will respectfully disagree with u on

fmftrx300ex
12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
the use of starting fluid, could be a shortcut to engine damage. hw iv never had an issue the only way i see a potential for damage is lean conditions but thts temorary 2 strokes getting no oil

wilkin250r
12-10-2010, 10:04 AM
There is indeed a possibility, but it's very unlikely. Many of the same properties that make it useful, can also make it potentially dangerous.

Ether is extremely volatile, which some people think means "dangerous". It basically means it evaporates easily into a vapor. This is great for cold-weather starting. But that same chemical makeup also makes it a solvent, which means it can wash the oil and lubrication out of the top end, or the bottom end with a 2-stroke.

Ether also ignites really easily, which is the whole reason we're using it. But that same reason also gives it an extremely low octane rating. You could easily run into detonation issues.

However, most any of these problems occur when you use too much, or use it too often. You're not going to completely wash your top end of lubrication in one quick burst. If you spray half the bottle in your engine, yes, you might have problems. But because starting fluid DOES evaporate so easily, a quick burst will hit the carb slide, pool in the carburetor, and the movement of air into the engine will be enough to vaporize it, so you're pulling in vapor, not liquid. Lubrication is not a problem unless you use a LOT of it, and you do it all the time.

Since it does ignite so easily, it has an extremely low octane rating, so you could run into detonation problems. However, since you're using a direct spray, you're going to be way rich of stoichiometric ratio, and rich conditions reduce heat, and you don't have a lot of heat buildup anyways if you're using starting fluid. I don't have any specific data to back me up, but I don't think detonation is a problem. If you do have detonation, it's minor, and you'll only run into problems over a long period of time.

I still maintain it's safe, in small doses, for diagnostic purposes.

fearlessfred
12-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by alex1314
the starter spins and the solenoid is new. when i first changed the solenoid it started right up. i left it on to warm up and when i came out side it was off and when i tried starting it again it wont start? can someone please help hey alex1314 ,hows it going with your bike,we got sidetracked with debate