PDA

View Full Version : SnowMobile

426kidz
12-04-2010, 01:44 PM
If I wore to get an older snowmobil...cheap one. How hard are they too keep running good? I'm thinkin bout havin a snow toy for winter!

cdrookie
12-04-2010, 01:54 PM
they're addicting, especially if you ride in public places with other sleds.

older ones are like anything else... can you get parts? was it taken care of? how old are we talking about? are you mechanically inclined?

426kidz
12-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Yes I can turn some wrenches,lol and idk just whatevers out there. I juts dont wanna spend alot of money on one sense I just rebuilt my 400 So im thinkin under a grand. And yeah I driven my buddies and it was amazing! But I dont know the brands...I know polaris is ok but thats all I know about the company's. Ill have too look into em.:D

cdrookie
12-04-2010, 02:20 PM
under a grand you won't get much. a lot of the older sleds are almost as powerful as the newer ones just a rougher ride. if you ride private property or back roads they will do ok but if you ride public places that get beat up, you'll be hurting for days.

Quad18star
12-04-2010, 06:32 PM
When you say older sled ... how old do you mean? You have to keep in kind that a lot of parts are no longer available for some sleds that were manufactured even just in the 90s. The type of ride you want is a big factor in the sled you choose. Remember that a Ski-Doo built pre-2003 will ride completly differently than a newer sled from them. Same can be a said from all the other manufacturers when they started switching to different rider positioning.

Also ... stay away from ski-doo and arctic cat big triples from the mid to late 90s. Ski-doo had some serious problems with their 600-800 triples on the Mach 1s , Mach Z, Grand Touring , etc. You'll pop it once or twice a season if you don't do any modification to the oiling mechanism.

BlasterEaten250
12-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
When you say older sled ... how old do you mean? You have to keep in kind that a lot of parts are no longer available for some sleds that were manufactured even just in the 90s. The type of ride you want is a big factor in the sled you choose. Remember that a Ski-Doo built pre-2003 will ride completly differently than a newer sled from them. Same can be a said from all the other manufacturers when they started switching to different rider positioning.

Also ... stay away from ski-doo and arctic cat big triples from the mid to late 90s. Ski-doo had some serious problems with their 600-800 triples on the Mach 1s , Mach Z, Grand Touring , etc. You'll pop it once or twice a season if you don't do any modification to the oiling mechanism. Since you seem to be very knowledgable about snowmobiles, anything to look out for on an '01 polaris indy 500 that you know of? Just bought one tonight :chinese:

01 400EXer
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I have been running older Arctic Cats, 80/81 with the Suzuki Spirit Fan Cooled motor, 440 and 500's. The engines are solid and when you need to work on them they are simple. Last year I picked up a 1992 Arctic Cat Jag 500 with dual carbs. This also has the Spirit 500 engine. I know nothing about Polaris other than a school mate and his family runs them and it seems like they are always rebuilding them. Then again they make trips to Maine and run them wide open for long stretches at a time. I have always just ridden my Arctic Cats locally. I would love to have a newer one but it is not worth it due to the amount of snow we get. Although last year the machines got used for weeks.