PDA

View Full Version : 400ex carb issues

ctjim
12-04-2010, 05:07 AM
just pulled my 99 400ex out of the barn it has been sitting for a yr, along w/ my enduro bike. since i had lymes diesease and i couldn't ride. b4 i put it away i had drained the tank, and ran the carb dry of fuel, since the new gas is junk in about a month or so, and i always used to run the carb dry regardless after i rode it. it took awhile but i got it running and the carb had gas flowing through the overflow continously once it started, i shut it down and took the carb off cleaned it all out and everything seemd to be working ok manually on the bench, put it back in and turn the fuel petcock on and gas still runs out the overflow but the motor nows runs way better. shut off the petcock just in case i didn't want to fill the crankcase or lose all the fuel on the floor. thinking i have a bad float or my needle and seat is shot? any ideas? i have never had any issues w/ this bike until now. thanks jim

Wheelie
12-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Replace the needle valve and check to see if there's fuel inside the float.

rubbersdown
12-04-2010, 09:30 AM
+1^^^ If theres no fuel in the floats then their fine. Replace the needle and seat.

ctjim
12-05-2010, 06:05 AM
thanks guys. yesterday i took it all apart and gave it avery good cleaning put it back together and it worked test rode it around the yard for about 10 mins and then back to the barn it was leaking gas again from the overflow. took the carb out again and checked the floats they had no gas in them then i put some gas in a can and put the floats in and sunk them then let them go after about 30sec. and they floated back up so i think they're good. now i'm thinking i just need to get a needle and seat and a new fuel valve.

ctjim
12-12-2010, 07:44 AM
thanks again for the replys guys, i got a carb repair kit and its now fixed. just need to put all my plastics on and give her a good cleaning.