PDA

View Full Version : And the fight begins again...

bignasty
12-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Just read the article in the December issue of AMA Magazine of the May deadline. Please everyone have a look at it. Many have probably forgotten about this but we need to adress it before its too late. For the sake of our kids....:( :(

EthansDad
12-03-2010, 03:54 PM
link??

is this the child lead laws extension running out?

-EA

bignasty
12-03-2010, 04:36 PM
yes dont have a link, had the magazine.

selbygirl
12-16-2010, 05:52 AM
is it the same lead content found in jogging strollers and bicycls and tricycls like in vavle stems brake levers and cables

xtremeatv
12-16-2010, 12:49 PM
The whole idea on banning lead in the kids atvs is BS. Ive yet to see a kid putting a mini quad in their mouth!

While we are at it lets ban lead in cars too because more kids ride in cars and trucks than atvs!

desratt
12-16-2010, 06:25 PM
I work for a utility company and there is more lead in our drinking water then they would allow..

but if you know us we are alittle on the oddball side.

Hetrick Racing
12-17-2010, 10:37 AM
All of this is to "save lives" I dont think they realize that we dont get to decide our fate.....

I am sure though that the AMA will get involved at least I would hope

desratt
12-17-2010, 11:46 AM
they have been extremely involved for the past 2 years..
when I went to get my sone a new quad. the ONLY 50 we could buy was a drr that came with a certificate that says it past lead certification tests.. they they temporarily lifted the ban... this thing is huge.. you will no longer be able to buy parts or the shops get a violation. they went as far as saying race promotors will get violations if they allow kids to race on bikes not certified. the blm can stop you in the dunes to make sure your kid is on a certified bike or you get a ticket for child endagerment and they contact child protective services.. there are many many articles on the internet about this.

bignasty
12-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I ann sure AMA will get involved, but us as parents, dealers, race sanctions and promoters need to start "stirring the pot" and call our elected officials. Signing petitions will only go so far. Desert don't know how the water is over here but your probably right about the lead content there too lol.....

mcwilly
02-03-2011, 02:28 PM
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has voted to delay enforcement of portions of the controversial "lead law" that would have banned the sale of kids' dirtbikes and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) reports.

On Feb. 1, the CPSC voted 4-1 to delay enforcement until Dec. 31 of the independent laboratory testing and certification requirements, as well as the lead-content limits, for kids' dirtbikes and ATVs contained within the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) of 2008. The decision extends an earlier stay on the testing and certification requirements that was scheduled to expire Feb. 10, and the stay of enforcement on the lead-content provisions that was set to expire May 1.

The CPSC is responsible for implementing the CPSIA, which bans the making, importing, distributing or selling of any product intended for children 12 and under that contains more than a specified amount of lead in any accessible part. The law also requires children's products to undergo expensive periodic testing by independent laboratories approved by the CPSC and those products must be certified that they comply with the CPSIA.

"I want to thank all of the AMA and ATVA [All Terrain Vehicle Association] members and riders who used AMA and ATVA tools to request a delay in the enforcement of the law," said Ed Moreland, AMA senior vice president for government relations. "This latest action affords riders much-needed breathing room to allow federal lawmakers to exempt child-sized dirtbikes and ATVs from the law.

"It's important now for anyone concerned about this issue to contact their federal lawmakers to ask them to support H.R. 412, the Kids Just Want to Ride Act, that was introduced by U.S. Rep. Denny Rehberg (R-Mont.) to exempt kids' dirtbikes and ATVs from the law," Moreland said.

The best way to contact lawmakers is to use the tools available in the Rights section of the AMA website at AmericanMotorcyclist.com.

Once the revised stay of enforcement expires on Dec. 31, the sale of kids' dirtbikes and ATVs will effectively be banned because it's unknown whether the requirements of the law can be met. That is, unless kids' dirtbikes and ATVs are exempted from the law by an act of Congress before the Dec. 31 deadline.

qcitytile
02-03-2011, 04:08 PM
http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=23903516

read this link

redonkulousruntsracing
02-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Please for our sport, I urge all of you to do this. I did it, my wife did my son did even the dog sent an email, lol. Tell your friends, this I hope will keep our kids riding. What can it hurt?

Ryko racing
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
A FRIEND WAS AT A LARGE POWERSPORTS DEALER TODAY AND THEY INFORMED HIM THAT YAMAHA HAS STOPPED PRODUCTION OF PW 50 AND POSSIBLY ANYTHING UNDER 85 CC.

SUZUKI AND KAWASAKI FOLLWED SUIT AS PER THIS DEALER WHICH SELLS ALL 4 BRANDS.( NO MORE KX RM 65 MODELS EITHER)
SOUNDS LIKE THE BIG 4 ALREADY HAVE THROWN IN THE TOWEL.

THIS IS NOT GOOD........WITHOUT THE OEM'S FIGHTING THIS BAN I WONDER IF THERE IS ENOUGH OUTCRY TO STOP IT.