PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem. please help lol

klutchbuster250
12-03-2010, 11:59 AM
what will cause my bike to not stay on at idle or charge a battery ? i can start it with a jump but it wont hold idle and just shut off. and it wont charge the battery. could it be my stator? oh and the bike did sit for a good year, i usto be a regular on this site it has bin a long time since i have bin on. oh and i did change my battery so its not that it bad.

thanks for any help.

Baileygunns
12-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Pull your cab apart and clean it, that will more than likely take care of you idle issue...

I assume the bike was charging the battery prior to parking it for a year. How did you come to the conclusion that it isn't charging now? Unless mice got into your wiring and chewed some wires there should be no reason it isn't charging... Stators don't go bad from just sitting.

Are you just running the battery dead from having to start it after it stalls at idle?

MRJACK9
12-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Remove and clean your fuel system from the tank thru the carb. Flow check your tank shutoff/selector valve with fuel or water. Air does not suffiently test the valve. The internal seals are not fully compatable with all US Fuels. If you have jumpered your battery to anything larger than another ATV or charged the battery from a charger larger than 1 1/2 Amp. replace your battery. Walmart is not the cheapest but the best in use. Add a fuel filter once you are running again.

klutchbuster250
12-05-2010, 05:15 PM
i know its not my battery because i have used my buddy's battery and still the same thing. the bike runs fine and everything but i cant just let it sit there, it will shut of. like the idle wont even sputter just completly die like if i hit the kill switch. and i cleaned my carb before i started it because my carb was cloged.

Baileygunns
12-05-2010, 05:32 PM
You need a voltage meter and the manual to track it down, either the stator or the rectifier...

MRJACK9
12-06-2010, 09:47 AM
In my opinion you have isolated it to the fuel system. It will run at idle & speed if you have a good battery and the charging sytem was the problem.