PDA

View Full Version : over range

modock84
12-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Can an overrange be used on a 50. Do you need both the front and rear or can you just use the front variator. What is the advantage of running it

Thanks

fomospede
12-03-2010, 08:43 AM
i have been told not to run it on a fifty as they do not produce enough torque
so make sure that your rider is winding it out ,seems as if the younger pilots dont keep it pinned maybe to get the extra speed your looking for you could do a high rpm build
if its bottom that you r looking for change your cogs (sprockets) for more acceleration
carb tuning has alot to do with acceleration as well
also a little ignition advance doesnt hurt there performance either

modock84
12-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks but doesn't an overrange help you come off the gate also. Kinda like being in 1st instead of 2nd.

Thanks for the reply

cik orange
12-03-2010, 11:07 AM
well it really depends on what belt you use. if you are going to use stock belt i dont think you will notice a difference. but if you use a overrange belt you may not have enough engine to pull it.i might be wrong but i think the kick start cover is smaller on the 50cc if so the cover might not go back on

but look at it like this if you are going to move him to 70cc or 90cc you can always use later so try it if you have the means to.

Hetrick Racing
12-03-2010, 12:38 PM
If you want to put a better front variator on look beyond Malossi,save yourself the grief.

There are many reasons to run a diff.style variator but the Malossi over range variator for an atv in my opinion is a waste of money.The rear system is great.

The advantage to running a different style or modified front stock variator is the amount of absolute apply and ramp speed.

On the 50cc(production) that dominated the Nationals last year and the year before in the limited class,we ran a modified front variator,that we do in house.

On some 50cc motors I have dyno tested in house, we have installed a different variator for more top speed(dirt track)while keeping the same acceleration rate,this cannot be done with the Malossi

EthansDad
12-03-2010, 03:52 PM
we had a chance last year to ride a built 50cvt that had a overrange kit on it for one race. my opinion, it did not make a difference in either acceleration (holeshot) or top speed.

-EA

fomospede
12-03-2010, 09:57 PM
well some real good names come to play
and

i stand by that if you want more of a 50, use rpms there is more gained in the long run with a few more 1000 rpm than spending time trying to get more bottom end as you have stated

all along i have been told the 50 is not big enuf power versus weight to have torque on its side so

we have been spending time riding
technique the hole way
a well tuned 50 machine and a rider that has more time under his or her belt and riding WIDE open
will aspire to many happy faces
so gear it down and a buy high rpm kit from one our sponsors

fomospede
12-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by fomospede
i have been told not to run it on a fifty as they do not produce enough torque
so make sure that your rider is winding it out ,seems as if the younger pilots dont keep it pinned maybe to get the extra speed your looking for you could do a high rpm build
if its bottom that you r looking for change your cogs (sprockets) for more acceleration
carb tuning has alot to do with acceleration as well
also a little ignition advance doesnt hurt there performance either
not saying that your not dialed on ignition or jetting or belt placement, tension or stall rpm
how about static loss the 50 is most finicky and a little losses mean more with low displacement

modock84
12-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Was only askin what was thought about it. We ran 2 nationals and podiumed both times in the 50 prod. Class. I feel we do have stuff pretty lined out. Like I mentioned earlier was only askin if it helped. Had a real reputable engine builder tell me all his motors leave their shop with one. Didn't want to spend the money on one if it doesn't work.

Thanks to all who responded.

don bassani
12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Hetrick knows what works best with production 50.

jerkyboy
12-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Im sure you know what works on a 50 also.

edwardsp&b
12-06-2010, 06:46 AM
jerkyboy Im sure you know what works on a 50 also.

You can say that again!!!!

Logan #34's Dad
12-07-2010, 06:01 AM
All I know is the Bassani/Hetrick 50 was the fastest 50 I've ever seen. Take the rider out of the mix and it still would get every holeshot. So, if that quad does not run the overrange - I wouldn't.