PDA

View Full Version : spal fan help please!!

jake"08"400
12-02-2010, 07:48 PM
I know its been on a couple of threads but I got a question nobody has answered an I really need to know since I'm putting my fan on tomorrow if it all works out.....anyways can the fan touch the oil cooler without it melting it are do I need to mount it so its off of it a little are is the anything I can put on it so it can set on the oil cooler (if it will melt?)
Thanks for any help.

hocman123
12-02-2010, 08:15 PM
well i have never done this mod myself yet but i have seen pics of people putting them on the oil cooler and taking clear rubber tubing that u could get at any home depo and cutting one edge so it sitts on the fan bettween the fan and cooler.

but i have a friend who made a bunch of little metal brackets to mount it away from the oil cooler and it works fine but will take u a little bit it think it over and make the metal peices.

i have never heard of the fans melting could be good learn info for when i do it :)

CJM
12-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Im the friend btw ^

Mines touching the oil cooler-hasnt melted yet. I originally had the way the writeup did with the plastic tubing there but found that it just wouldnt sit right and kept making a chattering noise.

I coulda made a more elaborate setup but I took some small 1/4 wide x 1/8 thick aluminum flat bar and made some stand offs for the mounts and put 2 pieces of flat bar on the other side and ziptied it all together. I tried using screws with locknuts but found it just didnt work right.

At least 40-50 hours no issues yet. The plastic the fan housing is made of is VERY tough. I also only run it when its very hot out, usually 80F +

Wheelie
12-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I have mine spaced out about 1/16". The fan and housing are quality pieces, I doubt the fan touching the cooler would hurt anything. If it gets hot enough to damage the fan, you have bigger issues.

jake"08"400
12-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks fellas that helped.