PDA

View Full Version : Work out ideas

firefighterjosh
12-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Ive been working out 3-4 days a week and have had results but im looking for some strength training ideas.

I am going for strength more then bulk/looks.

Right now I just do the normal routines most people do. Bench, butterfly, leg press, calf ect ect. Whatever those crappy machines have.

Now im trying to get some more ideas.

Some things im collecting or have
Tire (300-600lbs)
Log - (already have)
Balancing ball
More DBs
Power Sled (want to make)

Im also looking on CL to get a bench, bar and weights.

Any other ideas for at home low cost items to improve strength

trailrider894
12-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Ive been working out 3-4 days a week and have had results but im looking for some strength training ideas.

Right now I just do the normal routines most people do. Bench, butterfly, leg press, calf ect ect. Whatever those crappy machines have.

Tire (300-600lbs)
Log - (already have)
Balancing ball
More DBs

I would get ton the military.com website... I use a-lot of there workouts and ideas. Its free too...

firefighterjosh
12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
I would get ton the military.com website... I use a-lot of there workouts and ideas. Its free too...

there some good stuff on there...thanks

trailrider894
12-02-2010, 11:47 AM
there some good stuff on there...thanks

No problem man... The workouts on there seem to be all balls things... which is good for a skinny guy like myself.

firefighterjosh
12-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
No problem man... The workouts on there seem to be all balls things... which is good for a skinny guy like myself.

Im a bigger guy needing to lose my gut so its ok with me too:D

I have lost some, but im tired of the same ole bench, DB, leg press type of routine. I need something different.

reptikes
12-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Tire (300-600lbs)
Log - (already have)
Balancing ball
More DBs

Go with Olympic Weights, don't go with sand filled weights.

Isolate your workouts. One muscle group a day, 4 different routines, 4 sets each.

Lift heavy and lift to failure.

After you fatigue (on each set), (with a spotter) do 1 or 2 negatives at the end of your first 2 sets of Chest/ Tricep/ and Bicep workouts.

If you want i can email you a great strength workout 5 days wieght, 1 day cardio, 1 day off.

reptikes
12-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Also... you need a good lifting partner!
Someone with the same or similar goals (to be on the same routine).

It takes time. Be patient. I dont know how strong you are or how strong your wanting to be, but your only going to gain so must strength you keep just keep gaining.

ridgeracer
12-02-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure if you guys have something similar out there but Crossfit has been amazing for training for the FD. Not to mention how much fun it is since all the stuff is so different. Most of the stuff they do can be done at home or on your own. They give a Workout of the Day on their site, and you can easily find many more like this site.

Crossfit.com (www.crossfit.com)

firefighterjosh
12-03-2010, 06:00 AM
I have only been doing machines at the moment and surprising I have gained quite a bit of strength in just 4 weeks.

My friend started training with another guy with free weights and we are going in on Saturday to learn the technique needed to use certain exercises.

I also learned some new DB things today and im pretty whooped.

100% better then machines.

Right now im looking for a 4 day routine if anyone has any suggestions.

derekhonda
12-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Dunno where in indiana you are but I have a cage I would let go pretty cheap, just nw of indy about 30 miles.

As far as a 4 day split, I usually stuck to a three day split. 1-legs, 2-chest/tri, 3-back/bi

firefighterjosh
12-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Dunno where in indiana you are but I have a cage I would let go pretty cheap, just nw of indy about 30 miles.

As far as a 4 day split, I usually stuck to a three day split. 1-legs, 2-chest/tri, 3-back/bi

Im NE of indy but close enough

PM me a amount.

Scro
12-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by reptikes
Go with Olympic Weights, don't go with sand filled weights.

Isolate your workouts. One muscle group a day, 4 different routines, 4 sets each.

Lift heavy and lift to failure.

After you fatigue (on each set), (with a spotter) do 1 or 2 negatives at the end of your first 2 sets of Chest/ Tricep/ and Bicep workouts.

If you want i can email you a great strength workout 5 days wieght, 1 day cardio, 1 day off.

Wouldn't that be a workout to bulk up though? I've been told that isolating one muscle group a day will result in more bulk muscle. And just a general workout of all the muscle groups everyday, will result in lean/tone muscle. Is that just a myth? I know I feel like I accomplish more by working out all muscle groups on the same day.

ridgeracer
12-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Wouldn't that be a workout to bulk up though? I've been told that isolating one muscle group a day will result in more bulk muscle. And just a general workout of all the muscle groups everyday, will result in lean/tone muscle. Is that just a myth? I know I feel like I accomplish more by working out all muscle groups on the same day.

Typically high weight low reps is for bulking up, if you are taking protein and eating properly you get better gains. Low weight high reps is more for endurance and burning calories (tone).

However IMHO if you are looking to tone you need to be doing some cardio with your lifting.

400grl
12-03-2010, 03:57 PM
You need to pay close attention to your diet - you can work out all kinds of ways, but your diet needs to be spot on to get real results. Look online for the recommended macros for your weight/mass and what you are looking to accomplish. Eating clean is very effective, and you will need lots of naturally occuring proteins to go along with any protein powders you might be using.

quad2xtreme
12-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Power 90 to start...then move to p90x but don't go for broke with the weights or you will build too much muscle.

Power 90 provides the benefit of strength conditioning and cardio (which increase lung capacity and efficiency).

The only other useful tool is a pull up bar you put in your doorway.

Get too much muscle and you will have great strength for short bursts but you won't do well in endurance situations. Go to a few triathlon events and watch who finishes first (and their body builds).

I'm 46 and make plenty of 25 and under riders tapout on a track.

quad2xtreme
12-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
You need to pay close attention to your diet - you can work out all kinds of ways, but your diet needs to be spot on to get real results. Look online for the recommended macros for your weight/mass and what you are looking to accomplish. Eating clean is very effective, and you will need lots of naturally occuring proteins to go along with any protein powders you might be using.

X2. Drink spring water (not purified water as you get no minerals). NO SODA! Tea is fine 3 meals a week.

Eat organic food as much as you can (this is eating clean). Organic eggs are great for you.

Stay away from any foods with fake sugar. Natural sugar is better for you as a sweetener than any man-made chemical sweetener.

Eat 1 oz of raw nuts a day. Raw almonds are one of the best.

Switch to organic Soy milk or Almond Milk.

proper diet will eliminate arm pump!

bens250ex
12-03-2010, 07:45 PM
high weight small reps is how you can bulk up. more reps smaller weight will make you more tone/cut

* i missed the post that someone already said that whoops, like everyone said diet is a big deal i watch mine and its come a way of life, dont drink beer either, it sucks cause all that tasty food is out there but half the time sugary stuff makes me feel like shat anyways. Protien protien and protien...i use Jack3d for days i just wanna dominate in the gym...but you have to be very careful with the stuff very potient. order your stuff offline like from bodybuilding.com i like optimun nutrition products for protien. low fat and stuff

ridgeracer
12-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by 400grl

x2

Originally posted by Quad2Xtreme
Get too much muscle and you will have great strength for short bursts but you won't do well in endurance situations. Go to a few triathlon events and watch who finishes first (and their body builds).

This is true in the sense that most people who train to gain mass don't include endurance training in their workouts. However, that doesn't mean you can't have mass and endurance. ;)

Scro
12-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by bens250ex
\like everyone said diet is a big deal i watch mine and its come a way of life, dont drink beer either

You've got it backwards. I bust my *** in the gym so that I can drink beer.:D

firefighterjosh
12-06-2010, 05:09 AM
I already have the diet thing down and shakes.

Ive been taking protein, creatine, and fish oil to help with muscle recovery and results.

For eating I eat 5-6 small meals a day, sometimes its a shake but for the most part healthy meals.

I do drink about once a week but normally its only a 6 pack.

I have lost only 6lbs but have lost 4% BF

400grl
12-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Losing weight plus that 4% body fat is great!! :) Means you are doing it right!! I'd get on www.bodybuilding.com and become a member (if you haven't already) - the members there can be very helpful in tweaking your workout/diet regimen to get the results you are looking for! :)

firefighterjosh
12-06-2010, 09:34 AM
I was on there but too many kids lol I went ahead and got on wannabebig

I have about about 6 weeks of training in me, but only 2 solid weeks as the other 4 kept getting split up between work and vacation.

Im trying to become strong rather then bulk up. My first goal is 180lbs at 10% BF. My 2nd is 200lbs at 10% and I think I will like it there.

I want to be 200lbs that can lift the same as a 250lb person.

reptikes
12-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Scro

Thats Strength. Its a bulking routine if you eat for it. Lifting gets you stronger before bigger, if you get bigger at all. Getting bigger is all about your diet.

reptikes
12-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Power 90 to start...then move to p90x but don't go for broke with the weights or you will build too much muscle.

Power 90 provides the benefit of strength conditioning and cardio (which increase lung capacity and efficiency).

The only other useful tool is a pull up bar you put in your doorway.

I'm 46 and make plenty of 25 and under riders tapout on a track.

To much mucsle!!! Do you know how much muscle you would have to pack on to really hamper your endurance in most real life situation!?!?

I dont think Triathlons are what he has in mind. You put me and that triathlon guy in a locked box together and see who comes out.

And firefighterjosh, What do you mean "lift as much as a 250lb man?" How much does a 250lb man lift ?

Balaz_73*00
12-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda

Your workouts are counterproductive. Chest uses triceps to as a secondary muscle and back uses biceps as a secondary muscle. You are taking away from chest by doing triceps the same day and taking away from back strength by doing biceps the same day. You should do chest and back together and biceps/triceps together. Legs and shoulders mesh together well also.

firefighterjosh
12-07-2010, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by reptikes

And firefighterjosh, What do you mean "lift as much as a 250lb man?" How much does a 250lb man lift ?

It was just kind of a comparison.

If you look at a "body builder" vs a "strength trainer" the strength trainer will always lift more then a body builder who is the same size. I think most of it has to do with the core...but im not 100% sure.

If you look at Arnold Swarz (sp?) when he weight 235lbs he lifted the same amount as another Body builder who weight 305.

Its pretty crazy.

ridgeracer
12-07-2010, 03:39 PM
My first goal is 180lbs at 10% BF. My 2nd is 200lbs at 10% and I think I will like it there.

So you mean your main goal is to hit 180 but in the mean time your goal is 200? Just curious.

logangsxr998
12-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Go to crossfit.com
It's the best workouts I have ever done.

quad2xtreme
12-07-2010, 07:38 PM
It was just kind of a comparison.

If you look at a "body builder" vs a "strength trainer" the strength trainer will always lift more then a body builder who is the same size. I think most of it has to do with the core...but im not 100% sure.

If you look at Arnold Swarz (sp?) when he weight 235lbs he lifted the same amount as another Body builder who weight 305.

Its pretty crazy.

You are on target...you are looking to be a lean, mean endurance machine. This is what special ops is all about too. The meaning of strength isn't about being 240 lbs for everyone and not being able to run 5 miles. Unless you are truly trying to knock someone around, bulking up doesn't enhance athletic performance. You will need to watch going from 180 to 200 in terms of muscle mass. My step-son trained for Air Force special ops and passed all the tests at 175 lbs. Later, he got into lifting and was a rock solid 225. Problem...he couldn't pass his physical tests any more...suddenly his lungs couldn't keep all that muscle mass oxygenated. He been trying to work off the 225 for 6 months. It is much easier to lose fat than muscle.

Big guys don't finish first when it comes to endurance events...they have to pray for the 30 second knockout assuming it is a combat competition. If not, they will be sucking wind and pass out or quit. :p

firefighterjosh
12-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by ridgeracer
So you mean your main goal is to hit 180 but in the mean time your goal is 200? Just curious.

My first goal is 180.....my long term goal is 200

firefighterjosh
12-08-2010, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
You are on target...you are looking to be a lean, mean endurance machine. This is what special ops is all about too. The meaning of strength isn't about being 240 lbs for everyone and not being able to run 5 miles. Unless you are truly trying to knock someone around, bulking up doesn't enhance athletic performance. You will need to watch going from 180 to 200 in terms of muscle mass. My step-son trained for Air Force special ops and passed all the tests at 175 lbs. Later, he got into lifting and was a rock solid 225. Problem...he couldn't pass his physical tests any more...suddenly his lungs couldn't keep all that muscle mass oxygenated. He been trying to work off the 225 for 6 months. It is much easier to lose fat than muscle.

Big guys don't finish first when it comes to endurance events...they have to pray for the 30 second knockout assuming it is a combat competition. If not, they will be sucking wind and pass out or quit. :p

Ya thats why my first goal is 180. 200 might be a little big. Ill just have to see what happens as I train

ridgeracer
12-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Good idea. Keep us updated though for sure. ;)

xtullyx16
12-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
Your workouts are counterproductive. Chest uses triceps to as a secondary muscle and back uses biceps as a secondary muscle. You are taking away from chest by doing triceps the same day and taking away from back strength by doing biceps the same day. You should do chest and back together and biceps/triceps together. Legs and shoulders mesh together well also.

Using the Chest/tri and Back/Bi workout will not be counterproductive.. assuming that you do the compound lifts first ( bench and row) then work your secondary muscles. Chest and back workout is a very large area overall for one workout..

ridgeracer
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by xtullyx16
Using the Chest/tri and Back/Bi workout will not be counterproductive.. assuming that you do the compound lifts first ( bench and row) then work your secondary muscles. Chest and back workout is a very large area overall for one workout..

Agreed, more muscle your body has to rebuild all at once, potentially slowing the rebuilding process down. As long as you do the bigger muscle groups first, (chest or back) you should be fine imo.

firefighterjosh
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Right now im on a routine of doing

chest
legs
back
arms

Something to that extent. Somedays we mad make chest and legs the same.

When the weather clears up it will be full body workouts every other day