PDA

View Full Version : working at auto parts store?

ryansblaster
12-01-2010, 06:03 PM
The other day my auto tech teacher told me o'rielly was hiring so yesterday me and my friend went and talked to the manager about getting jobs there the way he talked there is a chance we could get hired we are both seniors and like learning about cars. I really dont know alot about working on cars but I know the basics. I want this job to learn more about cars is this a good idea or a bad one?

wckedclownz69
12-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Give it a shot man good luck!!! Sounds like you would have fun getting paid to learn what you like..

Scro
12-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Go for it. I would ask what position is open though. Alot parts stores need drivers to deliver parts.

CJM
12-01-2010, 08:13 PM
They cant be drivers, almost all insurance policies need you to be 21 if its a biz.

Got nothing to lose, you will learn a bit. Most of it if you work the parts counter is just looking up parts for people and grabbing them, easy work really.

yellow02400ex
12-01-2010, 08:14 PM
You have to be over 21 to drive. I work at autozone and go to school full time the job doesn't pay much and to be honest I hate it. Retail sucks. If you really want to work on cars find a job at a shop your not going to learn much about cars but more about autoparts.

Lasher
12-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Many year ago I worked at Autozone as a second job. Compared to some jobs I had, it was ok. But...I was a mechanic on a stock car and hated dealing with 90% of the people that came to the counter. After a couple months I could not wait to get out of there. My main job at the time was landscaper/snow plow. I left the company when winter came (got paid plowing undertable and collected).

If you get hired, take the job and learn what you can. But don't think you will learn much about wrenching on cars.

sexysilverado45
12-01-2010, 11:31 PM
the college i went to had a program like this with all the autoparts stores but the way i saw it was i probly wasn't going to learn much if anything about how to work on them, but on the flip side if your looking for a job there going to school for automechanic will definatly give you the edge. your best bet would be trying to find a stop and go type of shop and that will get you were you need to be as far as actually learning and getting paid.

dpizz450
12-02-2010, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by yellow02400ex
You have to be over 21 to drive. I work at autozone and go to school full time the job doesn't pay much and to be honest I hate it. Retail sucks. If you really want to work on cars find a job at a shop your not going to learn much about cars but more about autoparts.

I use to work at napa auto parts. I delivered parts when I was only 18.

yellow02400ex
12-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by dpizz450

Well I know autozone and advanced you have to be over 21. I deliver parts im 23

CJM
12-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by dpizz450

Perhaps the one you worked for or napa itself is different-but most biz insurance (let alone biz car ins) will not insure ANYONE under 21.

Around here you must be 21 to get a job as a driver for most anything unless you use your own car.

CADWELL
12-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I worked at a Pep Boys for about 7 years. I started from the ground up, literally..I started part time doing stocking and maintaining the floors.

I dedicated myself to going above and beyond my manager's expectations so much so, he promoted me to assistant manager after about 8 months....I couldn't believe it!!

I eventually settled in on the Commercial Manager side of the parts dept. and solely dealt with neighborhood repair shops.

What I loved most about the job is what I learned about how the systems and components made a car run. I learned my parts catalogs inside and out and became a self taught pro...it was a great job.

I got a job with the railroad since then and never looked back...the benefits are almost unbeatable....

fastredrider44
12-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Just a thought, theres a lot of unknowledgable (is that a word or did I make it up) people behind the counters at the parts stores. And theres a lot of (I can't think of any nice words) people that don't know what they're talking about trying to find parts when they know very little. So you better be a patient person. That being said, when I find someone who can actually help me, I will try to have them look up all my parts for me from there on out.

CJM
12-02-2010, 04:05 PM
^ x2, I find the parts guy either has a clue or not. The ones that have a clue are awesome, ones that dont and just read off the screen not so much but most of them try.

I always have an idea what the part looks like before I go or have the part itself with me if possible. But unlike most I know the cashier at the local pepboys and she would return even used stuff if I asked.

However I usually deal with a local parts store where I get a discount, they know me by name and can order nearly anything i want.

But not everyone has the luxury of that kinda thing.

Good luck with it, its an ok job really. Bout the busiest you get is the weekend right around lunchtime till 3pm and friday nights. Otherwise its usually cake.

CADWELL
12-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Just a thought, theres a lot of unknowledgable (is that a word or did I make it up) people behind the counters at the parts stores. And theres a lot of (I can't think of any nice words) people that don't know what they're talking about trying to find parts when they know very little. So you better be a patient person. That being said, when I find someone who can actually help me, I will try to have them look up all my parts for me from there on out.

I probably would've been that person to go to haha...

I got to the point where you could bring me a part that would not come up on the system(which happens ALOT BTW) and I could cross match part numbers or ID through a picture and come up with the replacement parts that was lying on our shelf the whole time...

It was a challenge and I loved it.