PDA

View Full Version : Need all possibilities why gas is in my oil

moddedblaster20
12-01-2010, 02:42 PM
some of you may know ive asked about this before, but i m still dealing with this issue. just changed my oil and filter last weekend, ran the quad for a few minutes, pulled dipstick just to find the oil is grey and has a strong smell of gas. i really need to trace down this problem, i hate knowing that there is gas in my oil, so i am asking for any and all possibilities what could be causing this. thank you

rubbersdown
12-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Never seen this problem on a non EFI bike. Only thing that can cause this is that your carb floats are off or the fuel valve and valve seat are bad and filling your bowl up but your carb overflow is plugged or something and gas is flowing into your cylinder. Not really any other way for gas to get into your oil that I can think of.

CJM
12-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Im with rubbers down, this usually doesnt happen when you have a carb-only with EFI.

moddedblaster20
12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
so you think i should start by taking the carb off/apart?

416racer
12-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Ive seen a bad petcock on a dvx cause that, but they have some kind of vacum line going to the valve.

rubbersdown
12-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by moddedblaster20
so you think i should start by taking the carb off/apart?

I would bet you have a bad fuel valve and seat. So get to your carb, take the bowl off, take the float off and look at the little fuel valve. The little black rubber tip of it should be completely smooth to a cone. If it is missing a chunk or has a "ring" indentation in it where it sits up against the seat, that is most likely your problem. If you buy a new one be sure and buy a new seat to as they should always be replaced as a set. If there is no problem you can see with it then I would check your float level and make sure your overflow tube (brass tube sticking up out of your fuel bowl) is not clogged.

moddedblaster20
12-01-2010, 08:51 PM
thank you for the very helpful information, i appreciate it! ill try to get around to it soon, if i run into any questions ill be sure to ask

VTredneckgames
12-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Cant believe non of yall have seen this before on a carb.

Like mentioned earlier, replace the needle and seat. Double check the float levels.

Go ahead and rebuild the carb. The kits are cheap.

It could be something as simple as a small piece of trash under the needle causing it not to close. Either way, like I said, rebuild kits are cheap

rubbersdown
12-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by VTredneckgames
Cant believe non of yall have seen this before on a carb.

Like mentioned earlier, replace the needle and seat. Double check the float levels.

Go ahead and rebuild the carb. The kits are cheap.

It could be something as simple as a small piece of trash under the needle causing it not to close. Either way, like I said, rebuild kits are cheap

As I said I do think thats the only answer as to why it could be happening but
even if the needle and seat are bad the fuel should run out of the overflow, not into the cylinder.

bkb88
12-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Could it be something to do with the accelerator pump? Maybe possibly not closing and letting gas run through the intake? Otherwise the carb would fill up with an improperly set float and run through the overflow tubes. Just an idea, hope you trace down the source of your problem soon.

moddedblaster20
12-02-2010, 02:24 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/atvrider1/cid__IMG_20101202_161049_.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/atvrider1/cid__IMG_20101202_161139_.jpg

here is what i took apart. now the point on the fuel valve? looks good to me. and the brass insert with the 3 notches around it is the valve seat? correct? what else do i need to check that i did not show in the pictures? and how do i go abotu checking/adjusting the float height? sorry for all the questions

rubbersdown
12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Nope, see this dark line on your fuel valve, thats a wear mark. thats bad. You need a new fuel valve and seat. The seat is the part (tube looking thing) that that fuel valve sets inside of. The brass tube with the 3 little notches outside of it like you said.
P.s. I would order a new Accelerator pump diaphragm to as its lookin a little tired and dry.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/rubbersdown/cid__IMG_20101202_161049_.jpg

moddedblaster20
12-02-2010, 08:26 PM
alright thanks man! so ill get a new fuel valve, fuel valve seat, and accelerator pump diaphragm (had alot of sand/dirt under it when i removed it). between those things that may solve my problem? and what causes the float to stick, and how do i go about making sure its the right height?