PDA

View Full Version : changed solenoid and still doing a viberating noise

alex1314
12-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I bought a new starter solenoid because it wouldnt satrt and just make the viberating noise. I put a new one and its doing the same exact thing

Scro
12-01-2010, 02:25 PM
What kind of quad?

alex1314
12-01-2010, 05:28 PM
300ex

Scro
12-01-2010, 06:02 PM
It sounds like it could possibly be your starter clutch. If you hit the button and can hear the starter spinning, but no pressure is coming out of the exhaust, that's what it is.

alex1314
12-01-2010, 06:18 PM
the starter does not spin

watts16
12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
try a different battery or try to start it on with a battery charger

wilkin250r
12-02-2010, 03:23 PM
It's hard to diagnose without hearing the sound for myself, but I'm assuming the "vibrating" noise you are talking about is the solenoid buzzing.

When that happens, it usually means your battery is low. What happens is the solenoid connects the starter to the battery, and it will "click" on. But as soon as that happens, your starter pulls SO much energy that a weak battery can't keep up, so the voltage drops. This drop in voltage causes the solenoid to "click" off.

Once it clicks off, the starter motor is no longer connected, so voltage rises back up. This clicks the solenoid on again, and the starter motor pulls the voltage down, and that causes the solenoid to click off. It repeats over and over and over, the solenoid clicking on and off really fast. That's the buzzing noise you are hearing.

Weak/bad battery. Try disconnecting the negative battery cable on the quad, and then jumpstart the quad with a car (you hook the negative on the car battery to the quads negative CABLE, not the quads negative battery).