PDA

View Full Version : opinion wanted, Tired of Dialup!!!

z400ACDC
12-01-2010, 12:42 PM
I was hoping some of you guys would give me some advise. I live where I can't get cable or DSL. I was thinking about Hughsnet. What do you think about Hughsnet? I can get ATT but it is not any faster than my dialup.

CJM
12-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Dont have that particular company here in NJ, but speaking from experience I think cables better than dsl. Much faster and more reliable-at least around here. Cost however is more, dsl is usually cheaper.

Anythings better than dial up, I wont ever go back.

madsmokey12
12-01-2010, 01:35 PM
i have problems too im on 107 Acres and i just made it for DSL Called Century Link and its the Worst Service it takes forever to download stuff can't even watch youtube Videos. nothing is worse then ****ty internet

quad59
12-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Hughesnet is fast and pretty reliable, but you can not do any online gaming with it there is a 2 sec delay. Its expensive as well.

Pappy
12-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I had Huges net for several years. It was better then dial up but not much. And if you go over a certain amount of usage, your throttled back and its slower then dial up. Customer service was horrible. I was honestly ready to go back to dial up when DSL was finally offered here

hack
12-01-2010, 02:13 PM
you could also do tethering with a smart phone. i've been doing that for years. and now that 4g is in my area, my evo makes everything pretty fast :)

THARNESS
12-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I use a satellite internet service called My Blue Dish. It has something to do with direct-tv. It works much better than dial up as long as it's not raining.

GTRider256
12-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I had a sprint wireless aircard and I loved it

madsmokey12
12-01-2010, 03:37 PM
i think they offer cable in my area now i gotta call about it. but i get no cell Service here with any cell phone so i had to buy a AT&T Cell tower that runs off internet service. lol i hate slow internet im a florida boy and im not use to my stuff not working right. the iPhone 4 is useless with out service lol

extremetrucker
12-01-2010, 04:06 PM
i had a sprint air card for a few years, nothing bad to say aut it aside from the price, and their "unlimited" had a 5gb cap which i used up, and they charged big for overage, had some other issues with sprint/nextel i canned it all and got a boost phone for 50/ month unlimited, and virgin mobile broadband, which is identical to sprint, but its 80 bucks for the modem, and 40/ month unlimited, no contract, and no 5 gb cap and i couldnt be happier...assuming you have good cell reception there.

z400ACDC
12-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I live a couple of miles from Jeremiah, a mile the way a crow flies. He has the ATT and we were looking for some stuff on the net and his servise was not much better than dialup. He say it works great as soon as he get close to town. The cell tower must not be upgraded for the web because I can see it from my house(maybe halfmile).