PDA

View Full Version : Just finished my parking brake removal!!!

Lil90man!!
12-01-2001, 06:11 PM
well we just got done!! we took off parking brake put on a block off plate, and put a shiny new cr perch and lever on!! it is harder to pull but it is shorter so ?? a few ups and downs, the good thing is no more button to go into reverse so when i get into neutral it is just pull up on lever not let off clutch push button pull in clutch pull lever, and now hopefully my brakes last longer (this set lasted hmm bout a month, not good!) we also took off the two wires down by your foot so now i have to neutral/reverse lights, but i never use them anyway, but now i have no reverse inhibitior(now i am ricky racer in reverse lol)and now since we just put those two wires on the perch together now it will start in gear(including reverse)(with no clutch) and that is kinda bad but i always pull in the clutch anyway. and like it is unlike it says in the review or instructions or whatever for the reverse mod. it WILL NOT mess up the tranny if ur in reverse and try to shift to first(don't work) or if your in gear and try to pull up lever(that don't work either) soo overall very good mod i would recomend it!!!, ohhh yea we took the little clamp that held the neutral/reverse light wire and reverse inhibitotor wire, turned it up side down put it back in and then used 3 extra long zip ties to hold back the reverse thingy seems to work pretty good and looks pretty sturdy!!!!

96300ex
12-01-2001, 06:34 PM
How did you get rid of the rev inhibitor in reverse? where is it even at? I am thinking about using my headlight on/off switch to replace the ignition switch. I rolled her over today and my bar plastic and headlight are shot. so i took it all off and kept riding with my ignition switch rattling around somewhere underneath the plastic. Will that work? I like my parking brake because i haul my quad in my truck almost all the time (sometimes just to impress the ladies :D) and I don't want to have to strap it in to keep from putting extra wear on my tranny.

Those mods sound really cool. I was thinking about betting a 400ex clutch perch since i don't need the reverse at the bottom anymore (other than as a spacer to keep it all from comeing apart) could i use the kill switch as my ignition switch, that sounds better. that way I can replace the headligh when i get the money. No-pay mods are the best!!

Poncho
12-01-2001, 07:37 PM
Hey little90man that sounds like a pretty cool mod. How much was the block off kit?:D

SGA
12-01-2001, 08:33 PM
You Go Boy!!!:D

Lil90man!!
12-02-2001, 04:57 PM
well for the entire thing, the new perch/lever and the block off plate about 20 bux (8 for plate, 12 for new perch) the reverse inhibitor is down by your right foot there is two wires right there that go into the side of the bike one is the neutral/reverse lights and the other is the reverse inhibitor don't ask which one is which because i honestly don't know, and all this electrical stuff i have no idea we had one of my riding buddies who is goot at electronics come out and help us, i don't know much about it i just know the results of it!!!

96300ex
12-02-2001, 07:59 PM
Hey, thatnks for the help, i gotta try that:D

Braff1
12-04-2001, 03:49 PM
96300EX,
After I rolled my 300 ex I had the same delima. If you take a 1 inch hole on the right side of top plastic (the one that covers the gas tank) you can install your ignition switch well out of harms way. You will need to remove the back wiring of the ignition switch to slide it through the plastic but if you mark it before taking it apart it goes back much easier (if it is wrong you will not be able to start it).

12-04-2001, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by 96300ex

Those mods sound really cool. I was thinking about betting a 400ex clutch perch since i don't need the reverse at the bottom anymore (other than as a spacer to keep it all from comeing apart) could i use the kill switch as my ignition switch, that sounds better. that way I can replace the headligh when i get the money. No-pay mods are the best!!

My '01 400ex is stock and has a 3 lever perch on it just like 300ex it just has a spacer in the bottom where the reverse lever would be.

12-05-2001, 07:16 PM
where is a good place to get the block off plate?

"BLAHH"300!!
12-05-2001, 10:35 PM
what do you mean

i just got a 1" paddle drill bit drilled a hole through my plastic
then disconected ( after i found ) the wires to my switch ran them behind my plastic hooked em up and presto i'm runnin

96300ex- hey man before you start to drill-
make sure you have enugh clearance behind the plastic for the switch to go- it's about 2 1/2" 3" long so- make sure it doesn't hit the gas tank- also- use a paddle bitl

96300ex
12-06-2001, 09:29 PM
I haven't drilled anything yet. I rolled mine a few days back (stock tires suck!!:mad: ) so I've got to bend my headlight braket back to somewhere resembling it's original position. I would like to either mount my ignition switch in the side under the handlebars or find some way to eliminate it completely (my dad likes to take my quad keys, he told my that i "bought myself the perfect punishment" what a jerk) that sucks that the 400 uses the same clutch/parking brake/reverse perch as the 300. oh well.

trueblue450
12-07-2001, 04:07 PM
When I did the ol parkin brake block off I didnt get a new perch... I just pulle the parking brake thing out and there is a big gap... Ohh well it still works and looks ok. For the headlight stuff... Just drill the 1inch hole on the red plastic thing near the handlebars its looks and works good. But if your dad takes your key you can now hot wire it in seconds. Just like anyone else can.. But hey... I have also seen people take the rev and neutral lights outta the head light and drill hols next to where you drill your key hole and install em there. Its looks pretty dope.

Lil90man!!
12-08-2001, 03:38 PM
lol well heck my nuetral and reverse lights don't even work anymore so i don't even really need em we disconnected them on accident but we don't really feel like hookin em back up don't need em let out the clutch ain't hard to tell if you in neutral or not!!!

12-19-2001, 01:20 PM
Just curious, why would you want to remove your parking brake? And if it’s for a good reason, what is involved?

12-19-2001, 02:59 PM
The parking brake on 400ex suck,,,they need adjusted after every ride,,,and they also cause your pads to wear out every month or two. I don't use my brake ever,,so I took it off plus you get a new clutch lever and perch and loose the big POS stock lever and cable..and it's not to expensive to do either,,like $30 total.

hetrick425ex
12-20-2001, 06:41 AM
alright i didnt kwno if it would work ands its a good thing it doenst... also if you want to see how to do it go to my article in extech...

Braff1
02-22-2002, 06:49 AM
Here is a pic of where I relocated my switch. It is out of the way while riding but still accessable.

400exBro
02-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Can you just take the cable off with out the block off?? you will probably get dirt into your caliper right,
Also what type if perch did you guys get?? cr, ez pull etc..
thanks
Bro

R-Crazy
02-22-2002, 11:36 PM
get the 87 250x handlebar cover. little off on color but looks 10 time better then stock and makes everything look more together.only 14 bucks. well worth it.

dave

Live2Ride300
02-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Here is the picture of the 87' 250X ignition holder, this is a very good mod, works great, it fits right into your stock headlight plastic and looks factory-

Live2Ride300
02-23-2002, 07:48 PM
Heres another pic-

Live2Ride300
02-23-2002, 07:50 PM
I had a light shinning on it, kinda makes ur plastic look funny, i just ran outside and took these pics. Heres another one-

Live2Ride300
02-23-2002, 07:52 PM
One more pic-