PDA

View Full Version : think i need a clutch??

rsf98
11-29-2010, 05:26 PM
i havnt really noticed an slipping yet. but i notice when i pull the clutch lever and shif from neutral to first the bike kind of clunks into gear. it isnt quiet and smooth like it usually is? am i pointing myself in the right direction?

PaRedneckRiders
11-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by rsf98
i havnt really noticed an slipping yet. but i notice when i pull the clutch lever and shif from neutral to first the bike kind of clunks into gear. it isnt quiet and smooth like it usually is? am i pointing myself in the right direction?
Try adjusting your clutch cable first, if the cable is streched and has to much play in it it would be just like pulling the clutch lever in only part way to shift.

May need a new clutch cable, i would try this before jumping in and saying its clutches

rsf98
11-29-2010, 05:30 PM
i think my cable is already adjusted out to its max?

PaRedneckRiders
11-29-2010, 05:36 PM
then im guessing that is probably your problem, if you get a new one and adjust it right so there is just very little play in the clutch lever it should stop doing that.

Make sure there is a little play in the lever because if not u could over tighten the cable and it would be like the clutch never fully releases making it feel like the clutch is slipping.

If you didnt already know this its something to check, but there should be 2 cable adjusters, one on the bars and one by your right foot when your sitting on the quad before is connects to the clutch rod

416racer
11-29-2010, 05:37 PM
if your sitting on the bike backwards lol!
cable is on the right side;)

PaRedneckRiders
11-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 416racer
if your sitting on the bike backwards lol!
cable is on the right side;)
Haha sorry i didnt catch that meant to put right but was trying to multi task with photobucket.
Ok fixed now

rsf98
11-29-2010, 05:42 PM
did not know that. ill check and see where the one by my foot is at. maybe its all the way in and im only using half adjustment or something. i took it for a ride yesterday and i didnt notice it. but when i was taking it off the truck today i noticed it.

better to buy a whole clutch kit basket and all or just the friction discs or?? kinda new to small engine systems haha not like a car clutch

PaRedneckRiders
11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
as long as your clutch basket is in good shape there is no reason to get a new one, if it has big groves where the friction plates sit then yes i would replace it, if they are small grooves then can be removed with a little grinder. (im sure some people wont recommend this but its up to you, ive done it on 10+ motors and never had any problems)